Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Hygeia)
    3rd attendance today with reduced movements... Took a while before they were happy with the CTG (about 90mins monitoring in total) Repeat growth scan showed static abdominal growth which they're a bit concerned about so have been admitted for closer monitoring and steroids in case of early delivery... Fingers crossed we can keep him in a little longer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope you're getting on ok! Keeping fingers crossed for you both!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    You're going to have to tell them at some point. And in doing so will enable you to get appropriate help and support. You're probably not at risk in the situation you describe, but do you really want to put your child's health at risk because you don't want to ask for advice from people who are actually qualified to give it?
    I made sure that the labs were rearranged and read that there shouldn't be any risk to my baby but wanted to get others opinion.

(Original post by Sazzy890)
    If your education, and even more importantly, the health of your child is potentially at risk it'd be far better to have a discreet word so that they can do a risk assessment to keep you safe than to keep it quiet. They won't tell anyone else if you tell them not to.
    I'm scared
    my parents don't even know and probs wont find out at all or they'd kill me.

What would they think? they might say they are being supportive because they have to.

I have to speak to the guy in-charge for health and safety anyway but didn't really want to.
    I think the module leader probably guessed since they're not any other reason why you should avoid being near ionising radiation.

I made sure that the labs were rearranged and read that there shouldn't be any risk to my baby but wanted to get others opinion.

I'm scared

What would they think? they might say they are being supportive because they have to.

I have to speak to the guy in-charge for health and safety anyway but didn't really want to.
    I think the module leader probably guessed since they're not any other reason why you should avoid being near ionising radiation.
    When you say "nobody knows" does that include your GP and/or midwife services? Have you had any antenatal care?

I get that it must be hugely scary, but you have to start making some plans for the future, and that includes telling people. Your parents are going to notice when you go home at Christmas 6-7 months pregnant, or at least when a baby appears early next year, and your coursemates and tutors will start guessing soon if they haven't already. Asking a few people on here, most of whom will have NO knowledge of radiation protection law or practicalities, does not replace speaking to the relevant people.

How about talking to the student support people at your uni first? You won't be the first student to be pregnant and terrified, and they will be supportive, keep everything confidential, and be able to signpost you to all sorts of helpful services, as well as possibly coming up with a strategy for telling people, including your parents. And if you haven't, really do make an appointment with your GP.

ReputationRep:

I'm scared

You have a baby in your belly, you have to think about that first. I got pregnant at 21 years old from my former boyfriend that couldn't have children ( a disease in the testicles). So big,big surprise. I get you, because I was scared of telling my teachers ( I do chemistry). People will talk , they always do. But you HAVE to be surrounded by the right people. Being alone won't help!Believe me this is the ONE must important think. Doesn't matter what people think, you have a baby and school to attend= you need information and back up.Lots of hugs

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the others! I was where you are October last year when I found out I was pregnant. I was scared my pregnancy might affect my ability to take exams in case I got morning sickness badly etc (luckily I didn't really get it at all!) so I phoned my tutor up and said it is strictly confidential and no reference is to be made to anyone else about it but I'm pregnant and want to know what would happen if (insert scenarios I may have been worried about). Nothing was said ever to anyone else and not even any hints were made in class, she just acted like she didn't know. But tbh fairly quickly it was quite obvious, I started getting a bump at around 14 weeks pregnancy, by 17 weeks it was unmistakable to anyone who knew me!

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a lot more pregnant or young mums on here than those who come forward on threads like this, probably for that exact reason. TSR is an inclusive place generally though, but I think lots of young mums feel ashamed to admit on an education forum in case they get bullied for becoming a parent young. That said, if anyone were to say anything to me, I'd remind them that I have a 2.1 law degree and a distinction in the Legal Practice Course so being a mum young doesn't mean you are not an intellectual or do not have skills/knowledge/aspirations.

For me, being a mum is just one very significant part of my life, and my career will be another significant part of my life when I am ready to progress it further.

But sadly, there is a bit of a taboo with young women who are in education to have babies. I think I was secretly judged by some of my peers at university as I was walking into law exams heavily pregnant and I did get some looks. But I'm the one laughing as my pregnancy had no negative impact on my results at all, I got distinctions!! Woop.

Well I got worse than looks. I have a teacher here, like he confessed he was giving me a harder exam because he couldn't understand why a girl with a child was doing at the university...

Social workers here don't want to help either, and I was not asking for money, but a more affordable apartment . This as got to a point I had to get a special lawyer (Défenseur des Droits) to defend me from the City hall.
    There are girls from here (Alsace) writing blogs, facebook, to tell how they manage to put so much effort on destroying our dreams....

So I'm thinking I should move to Paris... I would get a better education than I am getting here

ReputationRep:
    I think I was secretly judged by some of my peers at university as I was walking into law exams heavily pregnant and I did get some looks.
    (Original post by Catarina27)
    Well I got worse than looks. I have a teacher here, like he confessed he was giving me a harder exam because he couldn't understand why a girl with a child was doing at the university...
    I'm nervous now about potentially going back to uni :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't say that the best thing you can do for your child is having an education. Plus I'm in Alsace in France, so I don't think it's exactly the same thing in the UK.

Actually you can not even compare this region with the rest of France:like they say, L'Alsace c'est pas la France...

Social workers here don't want to help either, and I was not asking for money, but a more affordable apartment . This as got to a point I had to get a special lawyer (Défenseur des Droits) to defend me from the City hall.
    There are girls from here (Alsace) writing blogs, facebook, to tell how they manage to put so much effort on destroying our dreams....

So I'm thinking I should move to Paris... I would get a better education than I am getting here
    Oh that's awful I know nothing of French law but I'm sure this must be illegal! Hope your situation improves it's such a shame talented women who just so happened to have children younger than a lot of their peers get ostracised and treated differently.

Keep going, you have done so well to stick with it

ReputationRep:

Oh that's awful I know nothing of French law but I'm sure this must be illegal! Hope your situation improves it's such a shame talented women who just so happened to have children younger than a lot of their peers get ostracised and treated differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't worry no one was ever rude to me at university for being pregnant, I just got a couple of looks from randomers in the exam hall. Besides even if they were rude that wouldn't have put me off getting an education

Catarina isn't in the UK, they wouldn't be able to get away with that kind of discrimination here so don't be scared! x

ReputationRep:

I really, really want to finish what I started, I'm just looking for a little support.
    You see here uni teachers are not just teachers, they are civil servants , so in order to do something against them you have to go directly to the minister of Education. This is why this kind of stuff is happening in here.

I've talked to the dean and things have improved, if I can say but the problem is not just the school, here being a student is different than any kind of civilian so you have an awful status and being a mom won't prime over it.

In Paris, things are different, but people don't really talk about it. Still they accept it better.

I don't know if you speak French and I'm terribly sorry for my bad English, but I have this thing for you to see.

It's a memoire of a student about being a student mom in France. She won a lot of prizes.

http://www.ove-national.education.fr...tine_Gaide.pdf

ReputationRep:
    It's not my personal statement it's from someone else!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Her name is Clémentine Gaide

When you say "nobody knows" does that include your GP and/or midwife services? Have you had any antenatal care?

I get that it must be hugely scary, but you have to start making some plans for the future, and that includes telling people. Your parents are going to notice when you go home at Christmas 6-7 months pregnant, or at least when a baby appears early next year, and your coursemates and tutors will start guessing soon if they haven't already. Asking a few people on here, most of whom will have NO knowledge of radiation protection law or practicalities, does not replace speaking to the relevant people.

How about talking to the student support people at your uni first? You won't be the first student to be pregnant and terrified, and they will be supportive, keep everything confidential, and be able to signpost you to all sorts of helpful services, as well as possibly coming up with a strategy for telling people, including your parents. And if you haven't, really do make an appointment with your GP.
    By "nobody" i meant friends and family, i have been to my GP and gone to all antenatal appointments and scans. I'm 23 weeks and so far not showing at all.

I spoke to the health and safety guy at uni, didn't say i was pregnant but i think he guessed since its the only reason you have to stay away from ionising radiation. I think he was a bit confused since I said I only need to stay away up until after Christmas ( have been told that they are 90% sure i will have baby at least 2 months early- due march 8) and i dont look pregnant.

You have a baby in your belly, you have to think about that first. I got pregnant at 21 years old from my former boyfriend that couldn't have children ( a disease in the testicles). So big,big surprise. I get you, because I was scared of telling my teachers ( I do chemistry). People will talk , they always do. But you HAVE to be surrounded by the right people. Being alone won't help!Believe me this is the ONE must important think. Doesn't matter what people think, you have a baby and school to attend= you need information and back up.Lots of hugs
    Was told the radiation wont affect the baby even if i'm in the same room but can do the actual lab.

Agree with the others! I was where you are October last year when I found out I was pregnant. I was scared my pregnancy might affect my ability to take exams in case I got morning sickness badly etc (luckily I didn't really get it at all!) so I phoned my tutor up and said it is strictly confidential and no reference is to be made to anyone else about it but I'm pregnant and want to know what would happen if (insert scenarios I may have been worried about). Nothing was said ever to anyone else and not even any hints were made in class, she just acted like she didn't know. But tbh fairly quickly it was quite obvious, I started getting a bump at around 14 weeks pregnancy, by 17 weeks it was unmistakable to anyone who knew me!
    Not really told anyone but i think the guy incharge of health and safety has guessed since he mentioned pregnancy as his suspicion when the module leader emailed him. I'm 23 weeks pregnant and don't even have a small bump!

ReputationRep:
    Don't say that the best thing you can do for your child is having an education. Plus I'm in Alsace in France, so I don't think it's exactly the same thing in the UK.

Actually you can not even compare this region with the rest of France:like they say, L'Alsace c'est pas la France...
    We had our minimoon there! We were in Strausbourg, Colmar and a few other places nearby.

*Goes back to lurking*

ReputationRep:
    Still In hospital... Not had to be delivered yet! Monitoring showing no immediate need to deliver but they're still not happy with how quiet he is still being so going to be in a little longer! 34 weeks today so not too worried about outcome if he does need to come out now at least!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still In hospital... Not had to be delivered yet! Monitoring showing no immediate need to deliver but they're still not happy with how quiet he is still being so going to be in a little longer! 34 weeks today so not too worried about outcome if he does need to come out now at least!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Happy for you

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's good news. Is the plan to keep you in until monday and then decide then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    That's good news. Is the plan to keep you in until monday and then decide then?
    Under daily review at the moment, still being monitored 3 times a day so can't be done on an outpatient basis yet. They're planning on scanning me again tomorrow (can't do growth again yet but can do the rest) and going to try and get my high risk consultant to see me on the ward if they can. At the moment they're planning on trying to get me to 36-37 weeks provided baby behaves but no idea how much of that they'll keep me in for!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2017
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.