Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best Uni for accounting and finance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied for, Manchester uni , Nottingham uni , Liverpool uni and Newcastle uni and i really want to know what uni would be the best for my course (Accounting and finance).

All feedback would be much apreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to comment LSE until i actually read your post, i hear newcastle is good

ReputationRep:
    I would say from your choices either Nottingham or Manchester.
    But you check out the courses carefully because if you wanna be a chartered account some uni's have deal which let u off more exams then the other. Plus you should also check out which university is most likely to help you obtain a good degree, but also you check the social life, ect you should talk to a current student on there section of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison1992)
    i was going to comment lse until i actually read your post, i hear newcastle is good
    same or the cass business school

I'd say Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool in that order but there's nothing much between the first three. Have you visited the universities? I'd go with where felt right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I'd say Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool in that order but there's nothing much between the first three. Have you visited the universities? I'd go with where felt right for you.
    I've visted all but Newcastle. I'm really more concerned about the grauduate prospects more that anything. So will that order still apply ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I would say from your choices either Nottingham or Manchester.
    But you check out the courses carefully because if you wanna be a chartered account some uni's have deal which let u off more exams then the other. Plus you should also check out which university is most likely to help you obtain a good degree, but also you check the social life, ect you should talk to a current student on there section of TSR.
    Yes I do aim to eventually become an chartered accountant, so I will definitely be looking into that. And all of these are quite big cities, so I am sure the social life will be quite good. Its just the employment that will mostly sway my decision

(Original post by Ade1992)
    I've visted all but Newcastle. I'm really more concerned about the grauduate prospects more that anything. So will that order still apply ?
    I wouldn't say that there is anything between the first three in terms of graduate prospects and Liverpool isn't too far behind the other three. A decent performance on those courses, plus work experience / internships, would give you a very solid foundation for grad scheme applications.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do aim to eventually become an chartered accountant, so I will definitely be looking into that. And all of these are quite big cities, so I am sure the social life will be quite good. Its just the employment that will mostly sway my decision
    Both Nottingham and Manchester are russel group uni's and they are ranked quite similarly, its just you gotta look more into finer details for these two, i would find this hard myself.

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde university!!

The accounting and finance department was ranked as the fourth accounting and finance department in the UK in the Independent's Complete University Guide Subject League Table for 2010.

The department achieved a 98% student satisfaction rating in a recent survey carried out on behalf of the Higher Education Funding Council Executive. This means that for Accounting, Strathclyde is the top rated Scottish University and 2nd top for the whole of the UK

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied for, Manchester uni , Nottingham uni , Liverpool uni and Newcastle uni and i really want to know what uni would be the best for my course (Accounting and finance).

I personally from that group would choose Nottingham or Manchester; both are highly respected Uni's with great links to graduate employers; plus most of the top Accountancy firms have offices in the area (and if not Nottingham, then certainly Leicester or Derby).

Hope that helps good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    I personally from that group would choose Nottingham or Manchester; both are highly respected Uni's with great links to graduate employers; plus most of the top Accountancy firms have offices in the area (and if not Nottingham, then certainly Leicester or Derby).

Hope that helps good luck!
    Yeah thanks alot

i've firmed Nottingham and got Manchester as insurance now.

ReputationRep:
    I have got offer letter from University of Huddersfield MBA and MSC Accounting & Finance from Bradford Where should i go for? both have same fee? Please guide

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks alot

i've firmed Nottingham and got Manchester as insurance now.
    Sorry but if you don't mind me asking, what did you get for your AS Levels / predicted A Level grades?

Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crystalyung1211)
    Sorry but if you don't mind me asking, what did you get for your AS Levels / predicted A Level grades?

Thanks a lot
    In AS i got AABC in Accounting, Business, Economics and english. dropped english and now predict AAA in them three subjects but my offer was AAB for Nottingham and BBB for Manchester uni.

ReputationRep:
    In AS i got AABC in Accounting, Business, Economics and english. dropped english and now predict AAA in them three subjects but my offer was AAB for Nottingham and BBB for Manchester uni.
    Hi, may I ask whether you're home student or international student? Manchester's typical offer is AAB and it's amazing that you got BBB as your conditional offer..or maybe you wrote a really good ps? my brother will be getting his AS this Aug and i suppose he'll be getting similar grades as yours in AS. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Reading have a course thats directly linked to an accounting firm
    Their course is called 'Accounting and Business'.
    Basically you do work experience in years 1,2 and 3 with this firm and the degree in general exempts you from most of the accountancy exams to become a chartered accountant (except 3) and the company are really likely to accepted you after your degree - you should take a look!

I think they want AAB or ABBb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkyng1)
    Hi, may I ask whether you're home student or international student? Manchester's typical offer is AAB and it's amazing that you got BBB as your conditional offer..or maybe you wrote a really good ps? my brother will be getting his AS this Aug and i suppose he'll be getting similar grades as yours in AS. Thank you!
    The reason i got an offer of BBB instead of AAB was because I completed a programme called the Manchester Access programme. Which people within the manchester region are allow to apply for, allowing them to get lowerd offers and also a grant of £1750. Does that answer your question?

ReputationRep:
    The reason i got an offer of BBB instead of AAB was because I completed a programme called the Manchester Access programme. Which people within the manchester region are allow to apply for, allowing them to get lowerd offers and also a grant of £1750. Does that answer your question?
    yup thank you!

ReputationRep:

Nottingham

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.