Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I know I want to do accounting but not sure how to become an accountant.

Would it be better to do 6 years at KPMG where I study and work at the same time or 3 years at Birmingham uni and then try to find work.

A Level: Accounting-A Eco-B Maths-B (320 Ucas points) GCSE A* AAAA BBBB CCCC with A in both english's and maths

Help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    KPMG, guarenteed job at the end of it, ongoin work experience, ongoing salary, all degree and accomodation fee's payed for, no brainer! plus one of the best companies to work for

ReputationRep:
    All are good but depends on which you like the most tbf OP

ReputationRep:
    I have a few questions
    Job: Is it GUARANTEED if you pass all the exams
    Accommodation: Will we have to stay at the uni prescribed and will this be done through KMPG
    Salaray: Taking inflation, tax and expenses in to account how much can one expect to reciecve

Been to Newcastle, imo the department didn't seem to be THAT up to scratch compared to some others. However if you're serious about Accounting and got onto the Flying Start, you're set for life.

ReputationRep:
    What is the flying start?

(Original post by ...mo...)
    What is the flying start?

It is a 4 year course in newcastle university, officially called : "Bussiness, Accounting and Finance" < I THINK

and similairy to a sandwich degree it mixes educaiton and practical work. You have placements at PwC durign the course and you cover all the professional stages of the ACA ( 12 exams )
    So you leave with a degree and are only 18 months off being a chartered accountant, and ALMOST guaranteed a job at PwC!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boodeny)
    It is a 4 year course in newcastle university, officially called : "Bussiness, Accounting and Finance" < I THINK

and similairy to a sandwich degree it mixes educaiton and practical work. You have placements at PwC durign the course and you cover all the professional stages of the ACA ( 12 exams )
    So you leave with a degree and are only 18 months off being a chartered accountant, and ALMOST guaranteed a job at PwC!
    Wow that is so cool. I don't live near newcastle so is there is a similar one in the midlands somewhere with other firms?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the Durham Stockton campus is good for A+F? If not, can anybody recommend better AAB/ABB Unis?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Durham is quite good, some others are Cardiff (AAB) and Manchester (AAB)

(Original post by ...mo...)
    Wow that is so cool. I don't live near newcastle so is there is a similar one in the midlands somewhere with other firms?

Um when i applied last year it was the only one of it's kind. It was VERY sought after!

However i remmeber reading on one of the accountancy websites recently that there may be another uni doing similiar with Deloitte or KPMG?

I'll have a look not 100% x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boodeny)
    Um when i applied last year it was the only one of it's kind. It was VERY sought after!

However i remmeber reading on one of the accountancy websites recently that there may be another uni doing similiar with Deloitte or KPMG?

I'll have a look not 100% x
    Is that KMPG doing it at birmingham.

I'm not sure if I will be able get in to that one though. My friend with A*AA got rejected!!!!

I need your help and advice

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1747132

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annika94)
    Apparently Durham is quite good, some others are Cardiff (AAB) and Manchester (AAB)
    +ve repped you! I don't think KPMG are just looking for grades but a well rounded individual who could slot into their business - grades are only 1 bit of the jigsaw in their eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppyy)
    +ve repped you! I don't think KPMG are just looking for grades but a well rounded individual who could slot into their business - grades are only 1 bit of the jigsaw in their eyes.
    What other things will they be looking for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi mo - PwC will also be working with the University of Reading from Sept 2012, with a degree programme (Accounting & Business) very similar to the Flying Start degree up in Newcastle if that is something that you would be interested in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.