Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Planning on going to Paris for 3+ days this summer while we're in Kent.

Can anyone recommend any hotels in a decent location at an okay price? Not that bothered for quality, more after cleanliness.

Also, any things we should do / see? Really want to go the Louvre, check out Mona and whatnot. Throw in the Eiffel Tower and that's all the sites I know. I welcome all suggestions

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by an 'okay' price, but I'm staying in the Ibis Bastille (http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-13...me/index.shtml) for four nights this month and while it's not exactly cheap, I've been before so I know it's safe and whatnot. It's also within 5 minutes' walk of the Place de la Bastille, and within walking distance of the Seine. I'd recommend it

Don't see the Mona Lisa. It's about A4 size and always surrounded by ten thousand Japanese tourists Gallery-wise, I'm off to the Orangerie (Cézanne), the Louvre (mainly to see Liberty Leading the People and the Raft of the Medusa, both epic paintings), the Musée d'Orsay, the Centre Pompidou (modern art), the Picasso and Rodin museums, and the Espace Dalí. We're also off to the cemeteries at Père Lachaise (Chopin, Eugène Delacroix, Max Ernst, Joseph Fourier, Théodore Géricault, Sophie Germain, Jim Morrison, Camille Pissarro, Rossini, Seurat, Oscar Wilde) and Montparnasse (Baudelaire, Simone de Beauvoir, Poincaré, Sartre) as well as the vault under the Panthéon. There's also the standard touristy stuff like the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower Curiosity-wise, we've heard of an absinthe bar called Le Cantada II which sounds amazing, and a bookshop called Shakespeare & Co. We're also off to Sacre-Coeur and Notre Dame (both churches), many of the bridges over the Seine, and the Paris Catacombs (home to six million skeletons).

Hope this gave you some ideas

ReputationRep:
    I see that kerily has already given you some great advice!

Here some more tips and hints:

What I'd suggest you to do is stay at some hostel. Most of them are 'cheap' I stayed at Plug-Inn Hostel last summer and it was really great, though a bit noisy, especially because it's in Montmartre. Here's a link: http://www.hostels.com/hostels/paris...n-hostel/40840

When the weather's fine you should really go to Tuileries or Luxembourg Gardens. We spent so many lazy afternoons there dozing off, chatting, watching ducklings, reading or simply inhaling more or less fresh air.

If you feel like going out but don't want to spend too much money, go grab a bottle of red at some supermarket, then march to the banks of the Seine and let your feet dangle over the water. I think that's a pretty Parisian thing to do in summer. If you're lucky there will be some talented and nice buskers playing Beatles songs.

If you like (flea) markets, Paris is full of them! The French are crazy about markets, really! I wish everyone was because I love markets Here some useful links:
    http://www.parispuces.com/en/Default.asp
    http://gu.com/p/2xxdd

Pigalle, which is Paris' (in)famous red light district, is a must by night! The lights are marvellous. And you can have a look at the Moulin Rouge too.

Enjoy your trip!

ReputationRep:
    depends who youre going with I guess but we stayed in http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/paris-hostels, which was amazing and im not a 'hostel person' usually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedger)
    Planning on going to Paris for 3+ days this summer while we're in Kent.

Can anyone recommend any hotels in a decent location at an okay price? Not that bothered for quality, more after cleanliness.

Also, any things we should do / see? Really want to go the Louvre, check out Mona and whatnot. Throw in the Eiffel Tower and that's all the sites I know. I welcome all suggestions
    Are you going as a couple? If so, I stayed here last summer with my boyfriend and it was lovely. It was situated in a quiet street just nicely secluded from the busy main roads and bars. It really was a perfect location and a perfect hotel!

It was a nice five minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and two minutes from the Invalides and our nearest metro. It took us 10-15 minutes to walk to the beginning of the gardens at the Lourve.

If you click through the link above and click on the guest reviews tab, I am 'Carmen'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    Are you going as a couple? If so, I stayed here last summer with my boyfriend and it was lovely. It was situated in a quiet street just nicely secluded from the busy main roads and bars. It really was a perfect location and a perfect hotel!
    Thanks for that, ellkrystina! I will indeed be going as a couple. The GF has been there a few times but was always with people who know their way round, so it'll be an adventure for us both

(Original post by kerily)
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions, kerily and MissLee. Think I'll need to touch-up on my French as well - though, not sure if my atrocious GCSE French will get me anything but horrible looks

Are there any absolute 'musts' for the first time going to Paris? The catacombs, book shop, vault and modern art gallery sound particularly good

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.