The Student Room Group

For Medicine: Biomedical Sciences (Sussex) OR Clinical Sciences (Bradford)

Hi
Sorry, I know similar threads have been done to death already on here... but just bare with me please :redface:

Long story short: applied for medicine, got four rejections but I still definitely have my heart set for medicine!:tongue:

I applied for Clinical Sciences (at Bradford University) as a backup, and received an offer. There is the opportunity to transfer to Leeds Medical School at the end of the foundation year and the first year (depending on how you do on the actual course).
I am also allowed to leave at the end of foundation year (so therefore, if I get AAA this summer, I can reapply for medicine for 2012). This in total gives me ~5 shots to reapply.:eek:

My other option is Biomedical Sciences (at Sussex University). They have another scheme in place, whereby if I get the grades this summer (alongside other things); I am guaranteed an interview with BSMS. This really only gives me one shot for medicine and ONLY if I get the grades first time round.

Personally I’m more attracted to Biomedical Sciences, but wouldn’t mind doing the full Clinical Sciences course either. But seeing as ultimately I want to be a doctor, I’m leaning towards Clinical Sciences. ARGH I don’t know what to do!

If all else fails then there’s always graduate medicine... Although I’ve heard that I will have to pay the full fees (~£3600?) upfront if I was to go down that route! So this might not even really be an option :frown:

But yeah, any advice from people who’ve tried these routes/ on these courses/ go to these universities... Pleaseee help me out

Or just any advice in general from anyone at all, would bee GREAAAATLY appreciated x
Reply 2
Reapply! GEM/transfer schemes are not a 'backup' to undergraduate medicine!
Original post by Beska
Reapply! GEM/transfer schemes are not a 'backup' to undergraduate medicine!

Thanks!:smile: I have considered taking a gap year, but wouldn't I be better of going for Clinical Sciences in this case? If I get the grades, then I can reapply (whilst im doing the foundation year)- but even if I miss out on them, I'm still in for a shot to transfer to Leeds Medical School (upto 20 people transfer each year apparently), as this transfer is based on your performance on the foundation year (not A'levels)...
Reply 4
Original post by somerandomdudester
Thanks!:smile: I have considered taking a gap year, but wouldn't I be better of going for Clinical Sciences in this case? If I get the grades, then I can reapply (whilst im doing the foundation year)- but even if I miss out on them, I'm still in for a shot to transfer to Leeds Medical School (upto 20 people transfer each year apparently), as this transfer is based on your performance on the foundation year (not A'levels)...

If you reapply, you can have a gap year where you can concentrate 100% on your medicine application and once it is sent off you have an entire year to yourself to chill out. Whereas if you're on this Bradford course, you have to worry about assignments, lectures and whatnot as well as worrying about interviews clashing with January exams or lectures. Plus, if you don't get a place, you're stuck with a degree from Bradford - where you could have applied somewhere else where you prefer the course, and as a potential medic's attributes/grades, got a place.

In my opinion, take a gap year and then apply to Bradford next year. If you get another 4 rejections, then go through with the transfer/GEM route. :smile:
Original post by Beska
If you reapply, you can have a gap year where you can concentrate 100% on your medicine application and once it is sent off you have an entire year to yourself to chill out. Whereas if you're on this Bradford course, you have to worry about assignments, lectures and whatnot as well as worrying about interviews clashing with January exams or lectures. Plus, if you don't get a place, you're stuck with a degree from Bradford - where you could have applied somewhere else where you prefer the course, and as a potential medic's attributes/grades, got a place.

In my opinion, take a gap year and then apply to Bradford next year. If you get another 4 rejections, then go through with the transfer/GEM route. :smile:

Yeah I can see where you're coming from, about things clashing and whatnot, and about having an entire year to chillout haha:cool:. But do you think if i decline my offer this year, and reapply, Bradford would still give me an offer? What if they just turn a blind eye on me lol :eek:
Reply 6
Original post by somerandomdudester
Yeah I can see where you're coming from, about things clashing and whatnot, and about having an entire year to chillout haha:cool:. But do you think if i decline my offer this year, and reapply, Bradford would still give me an offer? What if they just turn a blind eye on me lol :eek:

To be honest, these schemes that allow a certain % to transfer after the first year are generally a bad idea because there's no guarantee you'll transfer, plus if you don't you'll be stuck on a course that you don't really want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending