Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    Equalising not on the grounds of population but on the basis of the electoral register. Poorer areas tend to have lower electoral registration, therefore will be disproportionately represented under the reforms proposed. It is mollycoddled equalising, and I oppose that, yes.
    Considering it's trying to equalise electorates in constituencies, I don't think that the electoral register is a bad place to start...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Considering it's trying to equalise electorates in constituencies, I don't think that the electoral register is a bad place to start...
    Funny, I always thought the purpose of democracy was representation of the people, not merely representation of the people who vote? Do you value people who vote more than people who do not? They could always use the bloody census to guide equalisation, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    Funny, I always thought the purpose of democracy was representation of the people, not merely representation of the people who vote? Do you value people who vote more than people who do not? They could always use the bloody census to guide equalisation, too.
    Of those eligible to vote, actually. If we've already made the value judgement that certain people or groups of people shouldn't be voting (such as children, mentally ill and so forth) then we shouldn't equalise constituencies based on measures of population that include those ineligible to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Since you were the one I was replying to, it shaved off 5 reputation points and your reputation power is 5.

So you have no more to say after your arguments against it have been taken apart? It seems all you can do is parrot the No campaign, yet when there's any counterargument the case for FPTP seems to fall apart.
    Oh look you not negged again. Obviously as you were responding to me it was me... again... somehow.

Look I am not really all that interested in electoral reform - it's not a big issue for me. I wrote down some reasons, I cannot be bothered to have a debate on electoral reform... been there done that, can't be bothered again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    AV will not help any party other than the Liberal Democrats when they do relatively well.

For the system to help the BNP, they would have to poll within around 15% of the winning 1st preference vote. Given that they averaged 1.9% at the last election and that number will not rise significantly it is highly doubtful the BNP will gain from AV unless their vote is concentrated into a handfull of seats.

I am a Conservative but in this case Cameron and Warsi are fibbing.
    I completely agree with this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    New labour but seeing as they have decided to change policies tory now
    Well a traditional Labour voter always believed that Blair was a Tory in red anyway.

ReputationRep:
    AV is just another grossly unfair majoritarian system, I'm afraid.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.