The Student Room Group

20 year old in relationship with 15 year old acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dekota-XS
When the girl is 16, the guy will be 21.

It's strange how opinions can change on TSR. I posed this same question to TSR two years ago when I was infactuated to a girl who was 16 and I was 21 back then and the unanimous opinion was that she was too young for me. Oh how times change.

:lolwut: What has changed? Almost everybody is saying that 15 is too young for 20...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
no. it's ****ing weird, end of.
Reply 22
Its not the age difference but the age. At 15 and 20 you're in totally different places (mentally, school-wise and physically also) and whether she's mature or not, she's still a child. I'd hold off on the relationship and just be friends until she's a little older. 16 is at least legal.
Reply 23
I don't see the problem, maybe just keep it low key til she's 16.
Reply 24
No way end of
Reply 25
Original post by Genocidal
Not at all. My parents have a larger age difference than 5 years and I know many people with the same thing.

its not really the age gap, its that she is only 15! :P
Reply 26
Original post by NeonSkies
A 2 year age gap is much less than 5 years at such a young age, once you're both adults like 20 and 25 it's different because you're both able to do the same things.

There's nothing really wrong with you going out with a 15 year old as long as you're not having sex with her because then it would be illegal. A guy I know who is 18 was in a relationship with a girl of 15 and he got in a lot of trouble when it was found that he slept with her, but she was very immature for her age.

Ehh. I see the age of consent law as somewhat arbitrary. What difference does a month or two make? Don't get me wrong, I understand why it's there, but I feel there are situations where it's application is blurred. The laws job is to protect from harm, and there are cases where there is no harm.

We've not had sex yet, but equally I'll not say no to please a buerocrat. I always take things at the pace of the girl, so if she initiates and I fullly believe she wants to have sex, I'll not stop on account of her birthday being a few weeks away.
No that's ****ing disgusting!
Original post by Anonymous
If the girl is very mature and there's no sex?

NO, now find a girl that is around the same age as you.
Reply 29
No.
whoever you are OP, don't do it, trust me. It doesn't work. :no:
how can people its not okay when shes 15 but the moment the age changes to 16 despite the fact that she isnt any more mature than she was its acceptable....

as long as theres no sex i dont see a problem
This is going to get loads of dislikes but thinking back to when I was 15, I think I was pretty mature and dated a couple of lads who were 19 - 21 and got on much better with them than I would have done with anyone my age. I wasn't in school though and I was going out to bars and looked about 19 aswell though so that probably had something to do with it. I didn't see a problem with it at all then, niether did any of them or their friends, it wasn't really an issue.

I'm 20 now and thinking about it, it does sound wierd and the immediate response in my mind is "that's wrong". I suppose it's whether or not you like her enough to break the law.

Also you've got to think about whether she really likes you too or whether it's the fact of dating an older guy, admitedly it was probably partially that for me at that age.
Reply 33
Original post by Genocidal
Not at all. My parents have a larger age difference than 5 years and I know many people with the same thing.

Age difference between adults is nothing, but say they had met at 10 and 16 then kicked off the romance... Would that not be a tiny bit dodgy?
Reply 34
LOL. I love how all the serious answers are getting negged to ****.

And what is it with all these threads atm?

('Your age' / 2) + 7. Use it.
Original post by Steevee
Ehh. I see the age of consent law as somewhat arbitrary. What difference does a month or two make? Don't get me wrong, I understand why it's there, but I feel there are situations where it's application is blurred. The laws job is to protect from harm, and there are cases where there is no harm.

We've not had sex yet, but equally I'll not say no to please a buerocrat. I always take things at the pace of the girl, so if she initiates and I fullly believe she wants to have sex, I'll not stop on account of her birthday being a few weeks away.

Yeah that's fair enough, if the two of you are happy and nobody feels forced into anything a couple of weeks isn't really going to do any harm.
Reply 36
if girl is mature no prob---if the GUY is 15 then big prob!!!
Reply 37
although having said that she isnt legal so a tad odd!!
Reply 38
Imo a bit weird. Although saying that my mum and dad have a 10 year age gap. Depends how mature she is I suppose.
Reply 39
Yeah it's fine. Tell everyone if you want, people really don't care.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest