Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I cant find a motoring thread on TSR so i posted here watch

ReputationRep:
    i'm new here, I cannot find a thread on motoring, so I posted here. Basically I'm a 19yr old male and held a full UK license for 2.5months. Insurance is through the roof but a Vauxhall corsa like this is cheapest for insurance for me at the moment.

it's a 1995 1.2 ls 5Dr and costs £311 to insure per month with a £390 deposit. is that good for a boy my age? it's the cheapest i have found so far to insure and I have spent a heck of a time looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cwboyracer)
    i'm new here, I cannot find a thread on motoring, so I posted here. Basically I'm a 19yr old male and held a full UK license for 2.5months. Insurance is through the roof but a Vauxhall corsa like this is cheapest for insurance for me at the moment.

it's a 1995 1.2 ls 5Dr and costs £311 to insure per month with a £390 deposit. is that good for a boy my age? it's the cheapest i have found so far to insure and I have spent a heck of a time looking.
    e have a whole forum dedicated to Motoring! :p: I've moved your thread for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    e have a whole forum dedicated to Motoring! :p: I've moved your thread for you.

Pardon my behavior but I'm afraid one couldn't find the motoring amongst all the other threads. it was not visible to see as it was not there

ReputationRep:
    Pardon my behavior but I'm afraid one couldn't find the motoring amongst all the other threads. it was not visible to see as it was not there
    how much is the vehicle worth? i have done runs through price comparison sites and got quotes of £1800 for corsas of around £1500-2000 value. however this is in a low crime rate area (i have trialed different sorts of areas around where i live and prices can vary by as much as £700 for different postcodes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalmDownMrRooney)
    how much is the vehicle worth? i have done runs through price comparison sites and got quotes of £1800 for corsas of around £1500-2000 value. however this is in a low crime rate area (i have trialed different sorts of areas around where i live and prices can vary by as much as £700 for different postcodes!

thanks, did you do those checks for a 19yr old male with a 2.5 month license? I live in quite a high risk postcode. what are the sites that gave you these quotes? thanks again

car only costs £500

ReputationRep:
    thanks, did you do those checks for a 19yr old male with a 2.5 month license? I live in quite a high risk postcode. what are the sites that gave you these quotes? thanks again

car only costs £500
    You are paying way over the odds, look harder and use a bit of intelligence and you'll beat that easily!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    You are paying way over the odds, look harder and use a bit of intelligence and you'll beat that easily!

how excatly? going to go to sleep now, reply to me now, I'll read it tomorrow and get back to you.

Your sincerely
    withheld

ReputationRep:
    how excatly? going to go to sleep now, reply to me now, I'll read it tomorrow and get back to you.

Your sincerely
    withheld
    Well, the essential answer is use comparison websites, have a parent as a named driver and pick a cheap car to insure. The Corsa may be small and slow but it's what boy racers all drive (and crash) and therefore is quite expensive to insure, try something a little less popular with 17 year old Jenson Button wannabes

From personal experience I found a VW Polo cheap to insure. Are you getting quotes for paying 12 months up front? Because that is the cheapest way!

ReputationRep:

car only costs £500
    i did these checks based upon a 19 year old having passed the test 5 months earlier. quotes for young drivers tend to be cheapest from insurers from the admiral group (elephant, admiral and bell).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Well, the essential answer is use comparison websites, have a parent as a named driver and pick a cheap car to insure. The Corsa may be small and slow but it's what boy racers all drive (and crash) and therefore is quite expensive to insure, try something a little less popular with 17 year old Jenson Button wannabes

From personal experience I found a VW Polo cheap to insure. Are you getting quotes for paying 12 months up front? Because that is the cheapest way!
    for me the cheapest insurance i found was £1800 for a corsa. it is the cheapest car to insure (unless you want to fork out £4000+ for a peugeot 107 for example). the vw polo you highlight, i found to be around £2700 to insure. even the 1.0L model that was manufactured.

insurance is calculated using groups, polos are not in group 1 or anywhere near it. corsas are.

ReputationRep:
    for me the cheapest insurance i found was £1800 for a corsa. it is the cheapest car to insure (unless you want to fork out £4000+ for a peugeot 107 for example). the vw polo you highlight, i found to be around £2700 to insure. even the 1.0L model that was manufactured.

insurance is calculated using groups, polos are not in group 1 or anywhere near it. corsas are.
    Fair enough, just speaking from quotes I've had

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Fair enough, just speaking from quotes I've had
    your saying that from the quotes you got, polos were cheaper than 1.0L engines? the reason i say this is that i have been researching quotes for all types of car, and the only ones that come under budget (£2000) are your usual crappy corsas, 106s & saxos. what i'd give for a quote of under £2000 for a polo or golf

ReputationRep:
    your saying that from the quotes you got, polos were cheaper than 1.0L engines? the reason i say this is that i have been researching quotes for all types of car, and the only ones that come under budget (£2000) are your usual crappy corsas, 106s & saxos. what i'd give for a quote of under £2000 for a polo or golf

Sadly the ''crappy corsas'' as you quote them are the only cars I can afford to insure at the minute for about £311 a month with a £390 deposit. I could get a nissan micra for £275 a month but I prefer the corsas

Citroen saxo's would cost me about £780 a month to insure with a £830 deposit

ReputationRep:
    Sadly the ''crappy corsas'' as you quote them are the only cars I can afford to insure at the minute for about £311 a month with a £390 deposit. I could get a nissan micra for £275 a month but I prefer the corsas

Nissan micra would be a better buy to be honest. If your budget is so tight then you want reliability, and if its a K11 micra then they have good reputations for reliability. The corsas are really ugly cars if I am honest. Call insurers up directly for the best quotes possible, put as many of your family as possible on your policy, even friends who have been passed a while, my friend put his girlfriend on his policy as a named driver as she had been passed her test for a couple of years when he had and they knocked £100 off just for her and she doesn't even live with him or have any NCB or driving experience other than sitting on a 2 year old licence. Please note though this may change with the new rulings for fairer insurance which discriminates against men, there is talk of insurance levelling out soon I believe. Things like storing it in a garage, insuring less miles, higher voluntary excess and TPFT only cover will bring your cost down. Also if you can, try and pay for it all up front and save for your next years insurance throughout the year. I am doing this and although it killed to save up £1400 for my first year driving last year, I have saved £100 per month this last year for my insurance which has just been renewed. It can be as much as 20% more to pay monthly I found.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    Nissan micra would be a better buy to be honest. If your budget is so tight then you want reliability, and if its a K11 micra then they have good reputations for reliability. The corsas are really ugly cars if I am honest. Call insurers up directly for the best quotes possible, put as many of your family as possible on your policy, even friends who have been passed a while, my friend put his girlfriend on his policy as a named driver as she had been passed her test for a couple of years when he had and they knocked £100 off just for her and she doesn't even live with him or have any NCB or driving experience other than sitting on a 2 year old licence. Please note though this may change with the new rulings for fairer insurance which discriminates against men, there is talk of insurance levelling out soon I believe. Things like storing it in a garage, insuring less miles, higher voluntary excess and TPFT only cover will bring your cost down. Also if you can, try and pay for it all up front and save for your next years insurance throughout the year. I am doing this and although it killed to save up £1400 for my first year driving last year, I have saved £100 per month this last year for my insurance which has just been renewed. It can be as much as 20% more to pay monthly I found.

This is the Micra I'm on about that I don't like, Its not the new one i was talking about

ReputationRep:

i know that

its a shame that of all the cars to be cheapest to insure it has to be corsas. even 1.1L cars are around £500 more to insure than them. i'd personally love to be able to have a better car than a corsa especially as it is well known that small hatchback cars are highly overvalued in the used car market. you can get quality saloon cars for around the same price as an old banger with 60 horse power.

also, over £9000 for a citroen saxo???? what sites are you using!!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes newer cars are cheaper to insure

Though £311.00 a month for corsa is not cheap! I know someone who passed his his test at 19 and got insurance for about £1.6k (annual) and that's a newer shape corsa (01).

Also could you add other people to the policy though not as the main driver??

ReputationRep:
    Oh £311 a MONTH! I was thinking OMG £311 a year that's so cheappppppp!

ReputationRep:
    This is the Micra I'm on about that I don't like, Its not the new one i was talking about

Yeah thats the K11, they are good cars man. A lot better than a corsa in every way

ReputationRep:
    Yeah bearing in mind I have had my license for a year, I found a quote for a Polo (with dad as named driver, good postcode and pass plus (which I don't actually have but could easily do)) for £1500 Don't have enough money for a car or insurance, I was just curious!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.