Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would it be better to use 2 academic references or 1 academic and 1 work experience? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to graduate in July and I want to start applying for MAs. I'm about to start my second season volunteer stewarding at a theatre in London and thought this would look good on my application. Would it be better to use two academic references or one academic and one from my work experience?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    only use the one from work exp if its relevant to the MA....

ReputationRep:
    Two academic references are the norm

ReputationRep:
    Two academic unless the paid work is directly relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the quality of references and the reputation of the person who wrote it. For example (as an engineer) a good reference from a R&D Manager of a big research company (say ARM or IBM) could grant you a PhD position in almost any university in the country by itself, while a reference from a lecturer in a university would be just the norm. If the person you know in your work is known in his profession and can write you a very good reference, it's nice to have one from your work experience, otherwise don't bother.

You should generally get a test paper copy from all the referees that you can, read them and choose which one better suits the course you're applying to.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Sorry, didn't get any notifications that anyone replied.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.