Turn on thread page Beta

An Apology to All Politicians. watch

ReputationRep:
    Today I had an epiphany. A moment of illumination (please no puns about the Illuminati).

Recently, and for many years, I have accused politicians of all kinds of stuff, calling them corrupt and evil and whatnot. No doubt they are corrupt and evil. Many of them are so. Not even a priest can hold a candle to a politician these days! But it suddenly occured to me today that my accusations against these politicians have actually been unproductive and foolish to say the least.

In fact, I will no longer accuse the politicians anymore.

You know what the problem is with these politicians? It is not the politicians themselves but the people who elect them. The problem is the electorate. They are the problem. Politicians are not decadent. It is right that they should grasp for power. Who could deny what goodness is felt from power; the feeling of power surely ranks amongst man's highest feelings?

But the electorate. They don't grasp for power. They are decadent. They are the problem, and they are the solution to the problem.

Politicians. I no longer accuse you.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Today I had an epiphany. A moment of illumination (please no puns about the Illuminati).

Recently, and for many years, I have accused politicians of all kinds of stuff, calling them corrupt and evil and whatnot. No doubt they are corrupt and evil. Many of them are so. Not even a priest can hold a candle to a politician these days! But it suddenly occured to me today that my accusations against these politicians have actually been unproductive and foolish to say the least.

In fact, I will no longer accuse the politicians anymore.

You know what the problem is with these politicians? It is not the politicians themselves but the people who elect them. The problem is the electorate. They are the problem. Politicians are not decadent. It is right that they should grasp for power. Who could deny what goodness is felt from power; the feeling of power surely marks amongst man's highest feelings?

But the electorate. They don't grasp for power. They are decadent. They are the problem, and they are the solution to the problem.

Politicians. I no longer accuse you.
    We can only vote for the parties put in front of us.

And there isn't a single person who voted for a conservative-lib dem coalition. So it isn't our fault if they make mistakes it is theirs. If there was a perfect party that did everything right we would vote for them, but seeing as there isn't we have to vote for, not the best, but the least bad.

Were we able to vote on tuition fee rises? No. Did some of us vote for lib dems on the basis of the pledge to get rid of them? Yes. So how can it be our fault that the one we voted for isn't doing what they promised?

The politicians are at fault, not the electorate. We get our chance every 5 years to choose between liars and incompetents.

ReputationRep:
    You know the who tells the truth? This nice guy, he runs in the election every year, and he finishes last.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.