Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have never, ever felt guilty about being white. And why should i anyway, its ****ing retarded. Its not like i had a choice in the matter and its not like i have any control over all the other people who just happen to bear a slight physical resemblence (which i am told is "my race"), and the bad things they might do or have done in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno about you guys, but I'm happy making more money and being out of prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    They didn't have 90 million citizens killed by 2 atom bombs either.
    Lol what? 90 million? What have you been smoking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    this is racist.

white people abolished slavery.
    Racist? Are you serious?

While we abolished it, we're also the ones who started it in the first place. You know, going to Africa, raiding villages, taking innocent natives back to our land and forcing them to work for us...

ReputationRep:
    this is bigotry of the highest order.

are you not aware of what the arabs did to white people in terms of colonialism and slavery?

( of course, the arab crimes against black people were worse, but white people have still suffered colonialism and slavery.)

btw, africans sold the salves to europeans. so blame africans for slavery, thank white people for abolition.
    Yeah I'm aware, but i just tried to put things in perspective. sorry to anger you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I agree. It's because we are easy targets. We had our Imperialistic heyday and now we are the cause of all of the worlds problems. It's far easier to blame the white race as a whole than to look at your own shortcomings. Or so it would seem.

I personally think we need to rise above it, we have nothing to be ashamed of. Any atrocity we have comitted has been far outweighed by the good we have done for the world. White guilt is frankly pathetic, and the people that propagate it our apologists and those with agendas. There is no logical grounding for it and thus I oppose it at every turn. Just as I oppose those who would blame the British Empire for damn near every problem ever faced by the Middle East and Africa.

any atrocity white people have committed has been outdone by others.

most of mass murderers of the 20th century are all non white.

ReputationRep:
    the nazis killed 13 million in the camps, not 6. the zion centric 6 million is racist against the non jews.

the japanese killed 20 million in china. even the nazis were shaken by the barbarity committed in the 'rape of nanking'
    By recognising the figure of Jews killed one is actively discriminating against non-Jews? Hmm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Lol what? 90 million? What have you been smoking?
    ah i meant thousand. my bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    I think it's important to add that the reason people encourage things like black pride is because it was once seen as a bad thing to be, being white was never looked down upon, people were proud to be black regardless of what other thought. I think people should be free to be proud of their race etc. but you're suggesting that white people aren't aloud to demonstrate white pride. perhaps the only reason people may think it's strange is because white people over history have never had to overcome, discrimination? slavery? colonialism? etc

Nevertheless people should feel free to be proud of being white, black, blue, green etc
    I think this is stupid tbh. Being proud of your race/ethnicity has got to be the most ridiculous things that people do. When people say "I'm proud to be black/gay" etc. what they actually mean is "I'm not ashamed of being black/gay" etc. Pride=/=lack of shame but people often confuse the two. White people and straight people generally have never had any reason to feel ashamed of their race or sexuality which is why they don't feel the need to say they're proud of it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's important to add that the reason people encourage things like black pride is because it was once seen as a bad thing to be, being white was never looked down upon, people were proud to be black regardless of what other thought. I think people should be free to be proud of their race etc. but you're suggesting that white people aren't aloud to demonstrate white pride. perhaps the only reason people may think it's strange is because white people over history have never had to overcome, discrimination? slavery? colonialism? etc

Nevertheless people should feel free to be proud of being white, black, blue, green etc
    In recent history we have not. Equally, when we have it is from other White civilisations normally. This is because, and it is not racist to say, we have always been the most advanced race, with the exception of the Chinese and far Easterns perhaps. It is simple to see that through the AD years White Europeans have been at the forefront of progress, with the Arabs sometimes picking up the slack, it is only natural therefor that we have never, as a race, been overcome by another. But it is equally obvious to see, that a similar situation would have occurd the other way round.

Black pride is a needless concept. There is no pride in having a certain skin colour. Very few people who display 'Black Pride' nowadays have overcome slavery or opression. They simpley use it as a tool for a political agenda. Personally I think any sort of pride in ethnicity should come in the form of Nationalism, not race. And although the Black race may have had more to overcome, as a race the White race has contributed far more to the progres of mankind. Doubtless this is through our advantagous geographical positioning and so on. But still, I find a hypocritical double standard. And it irks me.

If you are allowed Black pride, espetially in places such as the US, where they have whole weeks to espouse the inventions of black people, why can we not have the same for White people? The struggle for civil rights is pretty much over. Although there is still racism around, and there always will be, this generation has no need of a Martin Luther King. There are no chains to break, or dogs to fight. We have racial equality, and to espouse the 'Pride' of one over the other only brings up and emphasises racial divisons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    I think the slave trade was one factor which lead to the success of the British Empire. We should be glad that the British Empire ended its involvement in the slave trade but I don't think we can say we were be proud to end it because we had a big role to play in it in the first place. It's like stabbing someone and saying you were proud to then heal them; it's quite juxtaposed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What was more evil than the genocide of 6 million jews? I know I am not addressing the point but what did the japanese do that you actually consider more evil than this? They didn't have 90 million citizens killed by 2 atom bombs either.
    90 million? WTF

Thats their entire population plus another 30 million

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazydavy)
    I think the slave trade was one factor which lead to the success of the British Empire. We should be glad that the British Empire ended its involvement in the slave trade but I don't think we can say we were be proud to end it because we had a big role to play in it in the first place. It's like stabbing someone and saying you were proud to then heal them; it's quite juxtaposed.
    But slavery has always existed and it has always been inevitable that one day big nations would exploit a group of people, but shouldn't we be thankful that it has happened and one glorious nation has shown us the light and taught humanity a lesson it should never have to learn again? It's like knowing someone was going to get killed by a group of people, so you go in, give them near fatal wounds, but revive and heal them so they can live without being killed.

ReputationRep:
    Funny. Just saw this linked on another thread.

Warning: Explicit/disturbing image.

Spoiler:
    Show

BTW if you haven't figured it out, that's a dead body he posing by.

Seems like a source of shame to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I think this is stupid tbh. Being proud of your race/ethnicity has got to be the most ridiculous things that people do. When people say "I'm proud to be black/gay" etc. what they actually mean is "I'm not ashamed of being black/gay" etc. Pride=/=lack of shame but people often confuse the two. White people and straight people generally have never had any reason to feel ashamed of their race or sexuality which is why they don't feel the need to say they're proud of it.
    Fair enough good point and you're right, but remember it was once looked down upon to be certain races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    90 million? WTF

Thats their entire population plus another 30 million
    so tired from lack of sleep i confused thousand with millon. changed it now

ReputationRep:
    I'm not ashamed of my race is why - I think as a collective we are a good race. Actually I don't even think about it - why would I be ashamed of my skin colour?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough good point and you're right, but remember it was once looked down upon to be certain races.
    Yes that's why I know why minorities do it, what they're really saying is that they're not ashamed or no longer feel ashamed. Obviously white people haven't felt like this in England or America which is why they don't feel the need to tell people they're not ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    What was more evil than the genocide of 6 million jews? I know I am not addressing the point but what did the japanese do that you actually consider more evil than this? They didn't kill 90000 civilians with atom bombs either
    The Japanese were far worse than the Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    But slavery has always existed and it has always been inevitable that one day big nations would exploit a group of people, but shouldn't we be thankful that it has happened and one glorious nation has shown us the light and taught humanity a lesson it should never have to learn again? It's like knowing someone was going to get killed by a group of people, so you go in, give them near fatal wounds, but revive and heal them so they can live without being killed.
    What about our brave troops dying in Afghanistan eh? Are they not slaves? Slaves of the government.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.