Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sick of chavs. Lock them up? watch

• View Poll Results: Should we lock up chavs and make them work?
    Yes they should be forced to work.
    66.13%
    Not really bothered.
    17.74%
    No chavs are great people and bring a lot to society.
    16.13%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I love you for this post!

We're far too tolerant. Schools can't discipline people, and the law isn't tough enough. ASBOs are worn like medals of honour. Criminal records are paraded around like a badge. It has to stop, and the way to do it is to make prisoners do tough manual labour, bring back coporal punishments in schools, possibly reintroduce the death penalty and make JSA claimers do community service jobs. There's always some litter on the street or some trees to trim, after all.
    Yeah, I agree with you soooo much.

Ok, I grew up in a country where teachers were allowed to have physical punishment or any real punishment on student. (only to certain exten of coursem they cant just hit when they want to. they still need to ahve a very good reason for it) It worked really well. However, in this country there are all the stuffs abotu human rights and how it is wrong to punish students. As a result, students give absolutely no respect to the teacher or anybody. They aren't scared to do something wrong. All teacher really do is shout at students and give detention.

I am not saying hitting student is good, but a lot of time physical punishment or any REAL punishment works really well. Although, I doubt it will ever happen in the western society like in the UK. The worst case I heard was my friend was 5 minutes late to school got a whole school detention (1hr after school) and another person got 5minut detention for being racist. How unfair. Being racist is worst than being late to school. I don't get the school and the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    This. Why should taxes fund a murderer in prison?.
    And what else do we suggest we do with them? Let them roam the streets?

(Original post by .Ali.)
    possibly reintroduce the death penalty and make JSA claimers do community service jobs. There's always some litter on the street or some trees to trim, after all.
    1 - Because of course, having the possibility of killing innocent people is a good idea :rolleyes:
    2 - And what about the people who get paid to do those jobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I hate it when you see these absolute morons wasting their state provided education, and yet there are children in Indian slums who would give anything to go to school. Then they bleat on about how they're a victim of circumstance and had no opportunities. So bloody annoying.

Agreed, that would do wonders. Some would reform, they'd benefit the state instead of leaching off of it, and most importantly, they'd be away and not causing trouble!

This. Why should taxes fund a murderer in prison?

I really don't understand where the "the world owes me a living" mindset comes from. It repulses me. People need some morality and respect imo.
    Glad to see we're on the same page here .

Do you think sexual freedom should also be curbed? I believe half the problem is the attitude of "getting smashed every weekend," that I see constantly in the youth culture today. It's not just sexual freedom and promiscuous behaviour here, it's just decency that I'm really getting at, just using sex as an example. Values relating to decency should be enforced much more than they are currently.

I'm fed up of seeing people, some underage, tumble out of clubs completely pissed, ready to sleep with anyone available. That in itself contributes to social indiscipline.

Although, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on these points at the moment. They seem a little... radical .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    If we had a scheme to get chavs off the street then I'd happily walk as I would know the chances of me being stabbed, assaulted or mugged would be low.
    But as I said, we don't have the money.
    The money saved from getting a few people off benefits would not be enough to cover such a scheme. So we would have to have even greater public service cuts than what we are having at the moment.

I agree something needs to be done, but sadly it won't be. Especially when we will have less police on the streets.

(Original post by street.lovin')
    Ok, I grew up in a country where teachers were allowed to have physical punishment or any real punishment on student.
    I can never see any teacher abusing that power :rolleyes:
    When I was younger there was a certain teacher who just took a dislike to me. For no reason. I would have refused to go to school if he had the power to hit me!

Plus - quite often, violence breads violence. Its why a lot of the kids who cause trouble come from "problem homes". I agree that there needs to be more dicipline. But hitting kids is not the answer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    And what else do we suggest we do with them? Let them roam the streets?
    They can still go to jail. Lock them up in prison. But why give them Xbox, TV?
    Being in prison should be a punishment. Make them suffer in rpison for committing a crime.

ReputationRep:
    Chavs are great people! I mean without them, I'd have no one to take the piss out of ;/

For my English project (during GCSE years) we were meant to make a speech of what you would put in room 101 and why. I picked chavs and got an A*. Priceless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Not all chavs are reliant on society to help them. Nor do all avoid work, in fact, this number is quite low in this area.
    I know several people who would define themselves as "chavs". One's a banking assistant, another a bar manager and the third runs an outlet of a sports shop.
    I must admit I didn't think anyone would actively define themselves as a chav!

ReputationRep:
    This poll is missing a 'put them down for the benefit of the society' option.

ReputationRep:
    They can still go to jail. Lock them up in prison. But why give them Xbox, TV?
    Being in prison should be a punishment. Make them suffer in rpison for committing a crime.
    I agree to an extent. But its still funding murders in prison. They still need food etc etc.

But also it depends on the crime and the person. For new offenders who are in prison for a few months, you risk pushing them further into the criminal mindset.
    If that happens, then they will just re-offend constantly and will cost the taxpayer more in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    I find that its the less socially accepted people e.g. geeks who have the biggest problem with so called "chavs" as they are the complete opposite. Also people like yourself see someone wearing a bit of nike and addidas and call them a chav when they really are not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevR94)
    Would it be unethical to take all chavs who basically refuse to work, put them in a labour camp and force them to work. They could work on thinks like road repairs etc. anything that decent hard-working people could do without doing. The decent hard-working people could get themselves a decent job which would be provided by guarding the chavs or rounding them up etc.

Basically in all seriousness is it just me that is sick of studying hard and working hard, to try and get a decent job, only for some chav to mock you for it then go and take your tax money (my parents in this case) for sitting on their arses.

Just to make it clear im not against job seekers allowence, just the chavs that abuse the help they are getting.
    so your saying chavs dont work, what world do you live in lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaaaaa)
    I find that its the less socially accepted people e.g. geeks who have the biggest problem with so called "chavs" as they are the complete opposite. Also people like yourself see someone wearing a bit of nike and addidas and call them a chav when they really are not
    i agree with you, nike and addidas are really comfy lol i wear em but in no way am i a chav =/ the OP's stereotyping big time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I can never see any teacher abusing that power :rolleyes:
    When I was younger there was a certain teacher who just took a dislike to me. For no reason. I would have refused to go to school if he had the power to hit me!

Plus - quite often, violence breads violence. Its why a lot of the kids who cause trouble come from "problem homes". I agree that there needs to be more dicipline. But hitting kids is not the answer.
    Ok. I know a lot of people will dislike the idea of teachers having the power to physically punish students. But you really really cannot argue with me it doesnt work well. It work really well most of the time. Students give respect to each other and teachers get the respect they deserve. They still need reason for punishing students though. They cannot just hit whenever they want. If the system was proven to be unfair, the parents or the students were allowed to complain and take teacher to court. I personally dont think its the best way, but it can be more efficient. Although, as I said, this is never going to happen in the UK.

What are other disciplines that you would suggest? I really cannot see anything better can happen in UK schools. Longer detention? Pfft.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    i agree with you, nike and addidas are really comfy lol i wear em but in no way am i a chav =/ the OP's stereotyping big time.
    Everyone i know wears nike and addidas and we have jobs and are decent people. Its people like the OP who class everyone as chavs as they are locked up in there rooms all day rocking out too heavy metal dying their hair black

ReputationRep:
    But then the 10 mile radius of Heathrow would be empty
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I agree to an extent. But its still funding murders in prison. They still need food etc etc.

But also it depends on the crime and the person. For new offenders who are in prison for a few months, you risk pushing them further into the criminal mindset.
    If that happens, then they will just re-offend constantly and will cost the taxpayer more in the long run.
    Yeah. I don't mind funding them to make them learn what they have done wrong.
    I am up for it if the money I paid will mean them getting food. I don't mind.
    But I don't udnerstand why they should get Xbox :P .. I don't even have one!
    I don't midn funding them for food, but I do mind funding for their luxuries!

Yep, it depends on the crime and the person. There should be something like if you have committed a low level of crime you get to be in this jail. But I think that's what they already do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree with you soooo much.

Ok, I grew up in a country where teachers were allowed to have physical punishment or any real punishment on student. (only to certain exten of coursem they cant just hit when they want to. they still need to ahve a very good reason for it) It worked really well. However, in this country there are all the stuffs abotu human rights and how it is wrong to punish students. As a result, students give absolutely no respect to the teacher or anybody. They aren't scared to do something wrong. All teacher really do is shout at students and give detention.

I am not saying hitting student is good, but a lot of time physical punishment or any REAL punishment works really well. Although, I doubt it will ever happen in the western society like in the UK. The worst case I heard was my friend was 5 minutes late to school got a whole school detention (1hr after school) and another person got 5minut detention for being racist. How unfair. Being racist is worst than being late to school. I don't get the school and the law.
    This. I totally agree with everything you've said. There's not enough strict punishments, it seems you get the same whatever the offence.

[QUOTE=WelshBluebird;30760628]And what else do we suggest we do with them? Let them roam the streets? [/quote[
    Hard labour camps sound good, or the death sentence.

1 - Because of course, having the possibility of killing innocent people is a good idea :rolleyes:
    2 - And what about the people who get paid to do those jobs?
    It would only be used in cases of undeniable evidence. Also, is 30 years in jail for a crime you didn't do really any better? :rolleyes:

I'm sure we'll find some member of society to do it.

(Original post by righteous)
    Glad to see we're on the same page here .

Do you think sexual freedom should also be curbed? I believe half the problem is the attitude of "getting smashed every weekend," that I see constantly in the youth culture today. It's not just sexual freedom and promiscuous behaviour here, it's just decency that I'm really getting at, just using sex as an example. Values relating to decency should be enforced much more than they are currently.

I'm fed up of seeing people, some underage, tumble out of clubs completely pissed, ready to sleep with anyone available. That in itself contributes to social indiscipline.

Although, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on these points at the moment. They seem a little... radical .
    To some extent, yes. I don't believe you should tap anything with a pulse, or try to 'score as many goals as possible'. I don't have a problem with sex if someone is in a relationship. Even casual sex, whilst still something I avoid, isn't so much of a problem if people use a bloody condom. The problem is some people are too stupid to, and end up having kids at 16 for free child benefits. I say we scrap CB for after the first child, we'll soon see the brithrate amongst chavs drop rapidly.

I hate the drunken culture. I'd much rather go for a meal, to a theater show, a picnic, a coffee with friends etc. I don't see the appeal at all. It's beyond pathetic.

They do seem radical, but only because society has become ridiculously liberal. Go back a few decades and it would be pretty mainstream.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I know a lot of people will dislike the idea of teachers having the power to physically punish students. But you really really cannot argue with me it doesnt work well. It work really well most of the time. Students give respect to each other and teachers get the respect they deserve. They still need reason for punishing students though. They cannot just hit whenever they want. If the system was proven to be unfair, the parents or the students were allowed to complain and take teacher to court. I personally dont think its the best way, but it can be more efficient. Although, as I said, this is never going to happen in the UK.

What are other disciplines that you would suggest? I really cannot see anything better can happen in UK schools. Longer detention? Pfft.....
    As I said, what would you do to stop teachers abusing that though?
    Teachers are not always the ones who are in the "right" and so the pupils need to be protected from that.

I don't know anything else I could suggest. You can try putting them in a seperate class and then kicking them out, but that doesn't really stop the behaviour in the first place (whereas physical methods are generally a deterrent rather than an actual response from the teacher).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It would only be used in cases of undeniable evidence. Also, is 30 years in jail for a crime you didn't do really any better? :rolleyes:
    1 - There is hardly any case where its totally undeniable. DNA is not 100% reliable, CCTV can be taken out of context or mis-interpretated, witnesses can lie etc.
    2 - At least theres is the chance to still live a life after that. With the death penalty it would be too late.

ReputationRep:
    I'm chav and proud m8. and what?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.