Turn on thread page Beta

Sick of chavs. Lock them up? watch

• View Poll Results: Should we lock up chavs and make them work?
    Yes they should be forced to work.
    66.13%
    Not really bothered.
    17.74%
    No chavs are great people and bring a lot to society.
    16.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    they do =/ this is quite frankly proposterous lol jkin yh i think your stereotyping big time, aint right, its like saying all jews are rich lol
    A lot of them are poor, hence living in council estates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    I thought that it went down the lines of 'council house associated violence?' I'd gander that's very much linked to where they live.

Anyway, I keep thinking back to my old biology teacher, who advocated the 'two bricks' way of doing things. I should say, it was really against neds, but I'll leave any differences to the imagination.
    I live in a proper ****hole. I am not a chav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    A lot of them are poor, hence living in council estates.
    if it goes by the definition thas being used for this thread then yeh the tax suckers do live in council estates thas where all the gun shootings are lol they can afford guns tho huh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevR94)
    I live in a proper ****hole. I am not a chav.
    It almost sounds like you're accusing yourself of something, because I'm certainly not. I'm merely pointing out the definition.

ReputationRep:
    It almost sounds like you're accusing yourself of something, because I'm certainly not. I'm merely pointing out the definition.
    accusing myself of what?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be unethical to take all chavs who basically refuse to work, put them in a labour camp and force them to work. They could work on thinks like road repairs etc. anything that decent hard-working people could do without doing. The decent hard-working people could get themselves a decent job which would be provided by guarding the chavs or rounding them up etc.

Basically in all seriousness is it just me that is sick of studying hard and working hard, to try and get a decent job, only for some chav to mock you for it then go and take your tax money (my parents in this case) for sitting on their arses.

Just to make it clear im not against job seekers allowence, just the chavs that abuse the help they are getting.
    I'm 26 and I've never worked in my life. However, I'm middle class and about as far from a chav as you could get. Should I be put in a labour camp?

ReputationRep:
    accusing myself of what?
    Being a so-called chav. I'd only accuse you of going on the defensive awfully quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    I'm 26 and I've never worked in my life. However, I'm middle class and about as far from a chav as you could get. Should I be put in a labour camp?
    1) do you claim JSA?

2) do you usually partake in anti-social behaviour?

3) do you abuse alcohol or drugs very often?

4) whay dont you have a job? (serious question)

ReputationRep:
    Being a so-called chav. I'd only accuse you of going on the defensive awfully quickly.
    How on earth am i accusing myself of being a chav?

I DO NOT take part in regular anti-social behaviour.

I DO NOT abuse drugs and alcohol regularly.

ReputationRep:
    1) do you claim JSA?

2) do you usually partake in anti-social behaviour?

3) do you abuse alcohol or drugs very often?

4) whay dont you have a job? (serious question)
    Sometimes to all of those, and because.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, chavs can be complete *******s, but they're still people. Just because they're chavs doesn't make them incapable of love, friendship, anything. Some people don't really get much of a choice about being branded as a chav i.e. cycle of poverty (your gran brought up in poverty, your mum, you, your kids eventually etc).

But I do agree they should be made to work - EVERYBODY should be made to work, minus if there is a real reason why they're incapable of any type of work.
    Maybe it should be like after 1 or 2 years on benefits if they've not got a job and theres been no proper attempt to get one their benefits should be cut. Might encourage them to get off their asses.

But more should be done to help them... a lot of people see chavs and think theyre a lost cause. They don't really care about them, or treat them like they would anybody else.
    We need to tackle 'relative poverty' which a lot of chavs fall under.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jar of Hearts)
    Fair enough, chavs can be complete *******s, but they're still people. Just because they're chavs doesn't make them incapable of love, friendship, anything. Some people don't really get much of a choice about being branded as a chav i.e. cycle of poverty (your gran brought up in poverty, your mum, you, your kids eventually etc).

But I do agree they should be made to work - EVERYBODY should be made to work, minus if there is a real reason why they're incapable of any type of work.
    Maybe it should be like after 1 or 2 years on benefits if they've not got a job and theres been no proper attempt to get one their benefits should be cut. Might encourage them to get off their asses.

But more should be done to help them... a lot of people see chavs and think theyre a lost cause. They don't really care about them, or treat them like they would anybody else.
    We need to tackle 'relative poverty' which a lot of chavs fall under.
    Chavs get enough help as it is! Im sick of people who do **** all get loads of help all the time. What about me and my friends? people who try really hard and try to scrape by with our part time jobs so we can get good grades and eventually a good job.

A great example of this is Jamies Dream School on Chanel 4. THese are kids who didnt stick in and they are getting the chance to go to a school like that and get all of these opportunites. What about me and my friends? Who stick in and dont get very much at all. its just not fair to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Sometimes to all of those, and because.
    Then you are a bit of a chav.

ReputationRep:
    Chavs get enough help as it is! Im sick of people who do **** all get loads of help all the time. What about me and my friends? people who try really hard and try to scrape by with our part time jobs so we can get good grades and eventually a good job.

A great example of this is Jamies Dream School on Chanel 4. THese are kids who didnt stick in and they are getting the chance to go to a school like that and get all of these opportunites. What about me and my friends? Who stick in and dont get very much at all. its just not fair to be honest.
    Do something about it then. Be the change you want to see and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    Do what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    which bit? :tongue:
    So you're telling me I make my money. I retire. I'm still able to work, but I decide to just faff about on my throne of money instead, and you'll force me to work?

:P:

ReputationRep:
    The condescending attitude in this thread has been shocking. I'm from a working class background, and I live in a council house, but I don't engage in antisocial behaviour or disregard the free education that I am granted by the government; I am grateful for it.

I don't know anybody who even remotely resembles a 'chav', as defined in a dictionary or in this thread. If I did, I would see them as a person (not dismiss them as a 'chav') and try to associate with them - reason with them to find out why they don't care about completing an education or getting a job.

It is never too late to give up our prejudices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    The condescending attitude in this thread has been shocking. I'm from a working class background, and I live in a council house, but I don't engage in antisocial behaviour or disregard the free education that I am granted by the government; I am grateful for it.

I don't know anybody who even remotely resembles a 'chav', as defined in a dictionary or in this thread. If I did, I would see them as a person (not dismiss them as a 'chav') and try to associate with them - reason with them to find out why they don't care about completing an education or getting a job.

I agree with the first part. I am also from a council estate, working class and i dont engage in anti-social behaviour. But some do and they piss me off so much.

ReputationRep:
    The money needed to support these people can go to so many other people who deserve it. This is where the goverment want to raise taxes. If there were less people claiming benefits, and more actually deserving benefits, then the money wouldn't be so thinly spread, and those in need would get the money that they need to continue with their life.

I don't know if any of you saw the programme on Channel 4 (I think) called "Fairy Job mother". The people on that show were pretty much council house, with no manners etc. The lady (I forget her name) was trying to find them a job, a lot of them turned down the jobs given because they wouldn't work for minimum wage, or they didn't want to be a cleaner or anything like that. I mean, if you have next to no education, and no qualifications, what do you expect? It's their pride, they would rather do nothing, for some money, then do a decent days work, at a job that is apparently "below them".

It's awful. My dad has two jobs, trying to support us as a family. He's always stressed out, tries to work through his given holidays as overtime etc...Basically earns money whenever and wherever he can, and these people that he's supporting are the same people who would laugh at me in school for doing my homework. My dad has two jobs, and they can't even get one, small, part time job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)

Have you ever tried reasoning with them? I suggest you do so one time and see what happens. It's typical behaviour. It's not prejudice, it's how they act, and what message they are putting across.

A big group sitting on a wall by a bus stop or something, just swearing at everyone walking past. It's not exactly someone who you want to approach to "reason with".

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.