Turn on thread page Beta

Sick of chavs. Lock them up? watch

• View Poll Results: Should we lock up chavs and make them work?
    Yes they should be forced to work.
    66.13%
    Not really bothered.
    17.74%
    No chavs are great people and bring a lot to society.
    16.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    The money needed to support these people can go to so many other people who deserve it. This is where the goverment want to raise taxes. If there were less people claiming benefits, and more actually deserving benefits, then the money wouldn't be so thinly spread, and those in need would get the money that they need to continue with their life.

I don't know if any of you saw the programme on Channel 4 (I think) called "Fairy Job mother". The people on that show were pretty much council house, with no manners etc. The lady (I forget her name) was trying to find them a job, a lot of them turned down the jobs given because they wouldn't work for minimum wage, or they didn't want to be a cleaner or anything like that. I mean, if you have next to no education, and no qualifications, what do you expect? It's their pride, they would rather do nothing, for some money, then do a decent days work, at a job that is apparently "below them".

It's awful. My dad has two jobs, trying to support us as a family. He's always stressed out, tries to work through his given holidays as overtime etc...Basically earns money whenever and wherever he can, and these people that he's supporting are the same people who would laugh at me in school for doing my homework. My dad has two jobs, and they can't even get one, small, part time job?
    I know, my parents work very hard to help me through my A-Level studies. They complaine they CAN'T get a job however, if they really tried to get one they could. I couldnt get a part time job but i realised i wasnt trying hard enough. As soon as i did, i got one. The problem is, as you mentioned, the dont want to do jobs which are degrading.

ReputationRep:
    Define 'educated' and 'cultured' before you mock a chav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-jc123)
    Un-educated - Not having a good education

Cultured - marked by refinement in taste and manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevR94)
    Un-educated - Not having a good education

Cultured - marked by refinement in taste and manners.
    My brother had an 'education' at a top private school yet he is about as intellectually capable and aware as a fish. Also, to understand culture is to learn languages and travel.

I therefore think that the term 'educated' is widely misinterpreted due to the natural conscious feelings amongst contemporary citizens. For example, no one likes to say that they don't know something that they ought to know.

ReputationRep:
    My brother had an 'education' at a top private school yet he is about as intellectually capable and aware as a fish. Also, to understand culture is to learn languages and travel.

I therefore think that the term 'educated' is widely misinterpreted due to the natural conscious feelings amongst contemporary citizens. For example, no one likes to say that they don't know something that they ought to know.
    Does your brother usually partake in anti-social behaviour or abuse drugs and/or alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    Then you are a bit of a chav.
    Not at all. But you probably are.

ReputationRep:
    Does your brother usually partake in anti-social behaviour or abuse drugs and/or alcohol?
    Yes, he wildly abuses alcohol, cigarettes and occasionally takes weed. Then again, 90% of people I know binge drink and are consequently always saying how hungover they are; the amount of chavs in Britain is thus high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Yeah hence why i started this thread. Because i love chavs including myself? hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he wildly abuses alcohol, cigarettes and occasionally takes weed. Then again, 90% of people I know binge drink and are consequently always saying how hungover they are; the amount of chavs in Britain is thus high.
    Anti-social behaviour?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hence why i started this thread. Because i love chavs including myself? hahaha
    Well you don't seem too smart...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Well you don't seem too smart...
    How?

ReputationRep:
    Anti-social behaviour?
    Binge drinking fits into 'anti-social behaviour'. But he also said that he urinated on a public street which is highly anti-social. Also, he frequently breaks the speed limit whilst driving and constantly litters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    I'm surprised you're using such a derogatory word....

ReputationRep:
    Binge drinking fits into 'anti-social behaviour'. But he also said that he urinated on a public street which is highly anti-social. Also, he frequently breaks the speed limit whilst driving and constantly litters.
    special case, Sort of chav.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of the word ("chav") itself?

ReputationRep:
    What I advocate is getting long term prisoners(forced) to do things such as manual labour (Chavs may also fit in to this category) in the manufacturing industry. We could increase our output as an economy on our manufacturing side, which could lead to exports for the UK but we're not allowed because of some laws set in place

ReputationRep:
    Would it be unethical to take all chavs who basically refuse to work, put them in a labour camp and force them to work. They could work on thinks like road repairs etc. anything that decent hard-working people could do without doing. The decent hard-working people could get themselves a decent job which would be provided by guarding the chavs or rounding them up etc.

Basically in all seriousness is it just me that is sick of studying hard and working hard, to try and get a decent job, only for some chav to mock you for it then go and take your tax money (my parents in this case) for sitting on their arses.

Just to make it clear im not against job seekers allowence, just the chavs that abuse the help they are getting.
    I agree with what you're saying to an extent, chavs should be made to work or go to college for their benefits if they wish to continue receiving them unless there is a genuine reason why they cannot do voluntary work.

I don't see why food stamps aren't used so the benefits aren't spent on cigarettes and alcohol etc., and child benefits are actually spent on appropriate things such as bills rather than nights out. People won't like not having the free choice to spend their money on whatever and might actually at least try to apply to jobs.

A more regulated benefits system would save money in the long run and cut out a lot of anti-social behaviour if these layabouts can't afford to get drunk every Friday night. I live in a neighbourhood full of these people and it really is annoying how they can afford to go out while I have a part time job and go to college and actually want to do something with my life.

People like this just have no ambition, because they are encouraged to sit on their arses all day with the way the benefits system is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    I agree with what you're saying to an extent, chavs should be made to work or go to college for their benefits if they wish to continue receiving them unless there is a genuine reason why they cannot do voluntary work.

I don't see why food stamps aren't used so the benefits aren't spent on cigarettes and alcohol etc., and child benefits are actually spent on appropriate things such as bills rather than nights out. A more regulated benefits system would save money in the long run and cut out a lot of anti-social behaviour if these layabouts can't afford to get drunk every Friday night. I live in a neighbourhood full of these people and it really is annoying how they can afford to go out while I have a part time job and go to college and actually want to do something with my life.

People like this just have no ambition, because they are encouraged to sit on their arses all day with the way the benefits system is.
    Couldnt agree more. Especially the food stamp theory. Sounds like a plan i would like to see in place.

ReputationRep:

I don't see why food stamps aren't used so the benefits aren't spent on cigarettes and alcohol etc., and child benefits are actually spent on appropriate things such as bills rather than nights out. People won't like not having the free choice to spend their money on whatever and might actually at least try to apply to jobs.

A more regulated benefits system would save money in the long run and cut out a lot of anti-social behaviour if these layabouts can't afford to get drunk every Friday night. I live in a neighbourhood full of these people and it really is annoying how they can afford to go out while I have a part time job and go to college and actually want to do something with my life.

Do you have any idea how much that system would cost to put in place, and how little it would 'save' (in fact, it wouldn't because the problem is so infinitesimally small).

Furthermore making a system like that that can't be circumvented (by people trading food stamps for money with their mates who have jobs etc.) is even harder to account for. It wouldn't be enforceable.

But what's worse is you continue to use this prescriptive word, with all of it's prescriptions in tact, as if it is merely descriptive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Do you have any idea how much that system would cost to put in place, and how little it would 'save' (in fact, it wouldn't because the problem is so infinitesimally small).

Furthermore making a system like that that can't be circumvented (by people trading food stamps for money with their mates who have jobs etc.) is even harder to account for. It wouldn't be enforceable.

But what's worse is you continue to use this prescriptive word, with all of it's prescriptions in tact, as if it is merely descriptive.
    Thinking of problems instead of solutions isn't going to help anyone now is it? Like I said, if it is regulated it could work. If food stamps were given in credit card form electronically where a Pin is required that would circumvent the selling on of the stamps.

It's only an idea, no need to blast it. I'm not an MP but it might be something for them to consider so people relying on benefits don't blow their money on inappropriate things.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.