Turn on thread page Beta

Benzoyl Peroxide - To moisturiser or not to moisturise? watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for another Acne related thread, I've read through a lot but haven't found what I'm after.

I've just been put onto Benzoyl Peroxide (10% fwiw) and have had all different opinions thrown at me. So what I'm trying to find out, hopefully from experienced people, is whether or not I should/ could moisturise?

www.acne.org suggests that moisturising helps - from experience.
    My Mum has told me that's the stupidest idea she's ever heard because you're supposed to be drying the skin out - although she has no experience of Acne.
    I feel that a little moisture probably wouldn't hurt, as it is quite different to the grease produced during Acne, but to use something a little more favourable perhaps.

I've heard lots of others saying they've used it to soothe their skin, and that left un moisturised, the skin was very irritated and that caused flare ups.

So if I was to moisturise, should I be avoiding certain ingredients or something? Say, stick to natural oils?

I'm so confused and just wana avoid prolonging this Acne crap to be honest.

Any help is MASSIVELY appreciated
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No it dries your skin out to fek its horrible, they use to use it in clearsil and it was responsble for dry burning skin u get.

use a moisturiser with it pref a hydrating one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    No it dries your skin out to fek its horrible, they use to use it in clearsil and it was responsble for dry burning skin u get.

use a moisturiser with it pref a hydrating one
    Well yeh it is horrible but there is a reason for why it does that, I really just want to know whether or not moisturising with it is sensible or not and why. I'm going to use the gel either way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Well yeh it is horrible but there is a reason for why it does that, I really just want to know whether or not moisturising with it is sensible or not and why. I'm going to use the gel either way.
    Perhaps try this

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb...sturiser+SPF30

Also search it on google to find a few reviws, its very well regarded and it helps dryed out skin alot.

ReputationRep:
    I use benzoyl peroxide and I moisturise. It still works. Every week or so I don't moisturise one night just to dry my skin out more, cos I've been using benzoyl peroxide for so long now it doesn't dry my skin out much anyway, just stops spots.
    With 2.5% benzoyl peroxide you need to moisturise, so if you're using 10% I'd say definitely moisturise, cos that will dry your skin out like hell and you'll be red and flaky and it won't be nice.
    You need to use a moisturiser with as few ingredients as possible, and nothing irritating or pore-clogging. Olay Beauty Fluid for sensitive skin is recommended by acne.org, and I definitely recommend it too. Olay Complete with SPF for sensitive skin is good too, especially since it's getting sunnier, and acne products will most likely make your skin more sensitive and more prone to burning. You've got to take care of it, it's delicate.
    Good luck, I hope the benzoyl peroxide works well for you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    I use benzoyl peroxide and I moisturise. It still works. Every week or so I don't moisturise one night just to dry my skin out more, cos I've been using benzoyl peroxide for so long now it doesn't dry my skin out much anyway, just stops spots.
    With 2.5% benzoyl peroxide you need to moisturise, so if you're using 10% I'd say definitely moisturise, cos that will dry your skin out like hell and you'll be red and flaky and it won't be nice.
    You need to use a moisturiser with as few ingredients as possible, and nothing irritating or pore-clogging. Olay Beauty Fluid for sensitive skin is recommended by acne.org, and I definitely recommend it too. Olay Complete with SPF for sensitive skin is good too, especially since it's getting sunnier, and acne products will most likely make your skin more sensitive and more prone to burning. You've got to take care of it, it's delicate.
    Good luck, I hope the benzoyl peroxide works well for you too
    Thanks that's really helpful advice. I've not actually used any moisturiser today - mainly because I forgot before I'd dabbed some make up on but hey. Might just moisturise at night. I've got quite a selection of moisturisers - 1) as I work for Vie at home and 2) because I buy Clinique and have had a range free through them - so I'll try one of those, use one with spf when I'm out in the sun and swap if it seems to be clogging. Any ideas why moisturising doesn't have an adverse effect to the BP? As my Mum will be shouting at me when she sees that I'm moisturising :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend drying out your skin, I've heard rumours that it causes more acne.

One thing that you must look out for in all products is to make sure that the products are soap free, try and avoid any exfoliaters and just stick to normal face washes.

The two products I'd highly recommend are Simple Moisturising face wash and Simple Rich Moisturiser, they keep the skin clean and moisturised and do not provoke any acne spots. They are suitable for sensitive skin and the majority of people with acne have sensitive skin.

Also benzoyl peroxide is pretty good, I'd recommend Epiduo if you get the chance, but you need a prescription from your GP to get it.

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's really helpful advice. I've not actually used any moisturiser today - mainly because I forgot before I'd dabbed some make up on but hey. Might just moisturise at night. I've got quite a selection of moisturisers - 1) as I work for Vie at home and 2) because I buy Clinique and have had a range free through them - so I'll try one of those, use one with spf when I'm out in the sun and swap if it seems to be clogging. Any ideas why moisturising doesn't have an adverse effect to the BP? As my Mum will be shouting at me when she sees that I'm moisturising :rolleyes:
    I think it's because the drying of the skin isn't the main way the BP works. Drying your skin out isn't going to stop spots. What it does is unclog your pores, make your skin renew itself quicker, and I think it kills acne bacteria on your skin that haven't caused an actual spot yet, too, or makes them less numerous anyway.
    Also, if your don't moisturise and your skin gets really dry, it will start over-producing oil to try and counteract this, which is not what you want. Moisturised skin also heals quicker, so the marks from existing spots will go quicker etc. If you don't moisturise and let your skin go dry, red and flaky, it will have to heal that as well as the spots.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, use a moisturiser. Use one specifically for problem skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I wouldn't recommend drying out your skin, I've heard rumours that it causes more acne.

One thing that you must look out for in all products is to make sure that the products are soap free, try and avoid any exfoliaters and just stick to normal face washes.

The two products I'd highly recommend are Simple Moisturising face wash and Simple Rich Moisturiser, they keep the skin clean and moisturised and do not provoke any acne spots. They are suitable for sensitive skin and the majority of people with acne have sensitive skin.

Also benzoyl peroxide is pretty good, I'd recommend Epiduo if you get the chance, but you need a prescription from your GP to get it.

Hope this helped
    Thanks! Yes I'll look at getting a decent moisturiser if this is the case. My face wash is pretty good so I'll stick to that for now.

(Original post by lazyswot)
    I think it's because the drying of the skin isn't the main way the BP works. Drying your skin out isn't going to stop spots. What it does is unclog your pores, make your skin renew itself quicker, and I think it kills acne bacteria on your skin that haven't caused an actual spot yet, too, or makes them less numerous anyway.
    Also, if your don't moisturise and your skin gets really dry, it will start over-producing oil to try and counteract this, which is not what you want. Moisturised skin also heals quicker, so the marks from existing spots will go quicker etc. If you don't moisturise and let your skin go dry, red and flaky, it will have to heal that as well as the spots.
    That makes sense really, I'll take your advice haha. Any advice for a moisturise to purchase - and why - is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I use Boots Botanics Pore Perfecting moisturiser, although I haven't used Benzoyl Peroxide for years (I gave up in despair of trying to fix my skin and Benzoyl Peroxide used to make my skin hurt from being so dry). The moisturiser is pretty good, as it hydrates without feeling all "heavy" on my skin (if I don't moisturise after washing my skin goes horribly tight) plus it has SPF 15 in it and isn't too expensive!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for another Acne related thread, I've read through a lot but haven't found what I'm after.

I've just been put onto Benzoyl Peroxide (10% fwiw) and have had all different opinions thrown at me. So what I'm trying to find out, hopefully from experienced people, is whether or not I should/ could moisturise?

www.acne.org suggests that moisturising helps - from experience.
    My Mum has told me that's the stupidest idea she's ever heard because you're supposed to be drying the skin out - although she has no experience of Acne.
    I feel that a little moisture probably wouldn't hurt, as it is quite different to the grease produced during Acne, but to use something a little more favourable perhaps.

I've heard lots of others saying they've used it to soothe their skin, and that left un moisturised, the skin was very irritated and that caused flare ups.

So if I was to moisturise, should I be avoiding certain ingredients or something? Say, stick to natural oils?

I'm so confused and just wana avoid prolonging this Acne crap to be honest.

Any help is MASSIVELY appreciated
    I used Benzoyl Peroxide every day for two years in conjunction with an antibiotic, and I moisturised (guy) My doctor even recommended which to use. I even used it directly over the Benzoyl Peroxide at night after letting it soak in.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is an old thread but I like the simple range of products. .. but when applying bp definitely moisturize A LOT!!!!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.