Turn on thread page Beta

"Just keep going, you got nothing to lose." watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread is about this video:

I thought that there were a few profound moments in this video and it was beautifully made (pause). Some of the questions posed really made me think so I thought that it'd be interesting to share the questions to TSR and see what you think. It may also help those who've got some stuff they want to vent.

(All questions are words to the same effect)

1. What are you doing with your life and why?

I'm a Law student right now aiming to become a lawyer, and to be honest I don't know if I want to make money or to help people.

I've got 4 exams coming up after easter and the amount of revision and the work I need to do is extremely daunting. I know I'm going to have to put in so much more work into these exams, more so than in A Levels... my mindstate right now is that if I don't do well in these exams then my chances of getting a vacation scheme at a prestigious law firm next year which, to me, is pretty ****ed as that then makes everything so much harder. I've just been hammering this quote into my brain for weeks now just to motivate myself: "A limit on what you will do is a limit on what you can do."

2. What motivates you more: fear or love, and why?

Fear is definitely what motivates me. I think it's because I don't really have a passion or anything and I'm just one of those people who floats by and sees life pessimistically and cynically. The fear of failure motivates me so much more so than love. It's probably all to do with familial pressures and not wanting to let them down, rather than not wanting to let myself down.

3. Do you believe in government? Do you believe they tell the truth? Why? Do you think they have your best interests at heart?

I believe in government as a concept, but practically it's not the best thing. That's not to say it's bad, but I think it's not as well executed as it could be. On a general day to day basis, however, I think it could be a lot worse.

I don't believe that they tell the truth, and that everything is all a sort of game. Party politics also take priority over the people and there's so many webs of lies that the government have spun. But the question here is: do I really care? *Kanye shrugs* I'm really indifferent to be honest and, though I know I shouldn't be like this, I never really think about it until I'm affected.

Do I think that politicians have my best interests at heart? To put it simply, no. They don't know me so they don't know what I want. Do they put have the nation's best interests at heart generally? Quite possibly, though they may also have ulterior motives, i.e. public policy is just a means to enact certain legislation and their real reasons are shady.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not trying to sound like one. I don't know if politicians are all playing for the same team or whatever, but there's no denying that they have lied to the public on numerous occasions.

4. What does freedom mean to you?

Freedom is a concept and doesn't exist. You can never be free. You can be happy, but you'll always be shackled by societal norms and you will always, in some form, be conforming. But does freedom really mean that much when you're happy?

5. What makes you happy in life?

Making other people be happy I guess. Seeing my family, seeing my friends, when you forget your trouble etc.

6. What’s the meaning of life?

“Greatest transition…” “Making a difference to somebody else’s life.” “If you’re not happy then they’re not doing what they want to do.” “If you can’t help them, don’t harm them.”

Those were a few quotes from the video that I found really interesting, but I think that it all depends on how you define life. Obviously I'm living life right now, but does it really count as life if an 80 year old person has lived their whole life depressed? I don't know what the meaning of life is, and I think that it's just a badly worded question. For example, if someone asked for the meaning of football you'd be like 'what?', but if someone asked what the purpose of football was then you'd say something like 'entertainment' etc. If someone asked for the purpose of life I'm sure most of us would answer the question a lot more easily. Maybe it is the 'greatest transition', who knows?

Regardless of the answer, I know this is a cliche, but the best thing to do is to live your life to the fullest... even though it may sometimes be hard.

/depressed train of thought.

TLDR, answer these questions mother****er:

3. Do you believe in government? Do you believe they tell the truth? Why? Do you think they have your best interests at heart?

ReputationRep:
    1) Living it, what else am I supposed to do?

2) Fear. My mum's Nigerian, and knows how to use a belt. She never wears a belt though.

3) If they don't care about the thousands of people that protest against their policies, why would they give a **** about me?

4) Being able to walk around naked.

5) Pleasure.

6) To figure out the meaning of life.

ReputationRep:

I'm going to university to study Physics with Astrophysics. I want to be a scientist, more specifically an academic researcher and possibly a lecturer as well. I want to discover the cosmos and unweave it's secrets! I want to make the impossible become possible, and the difficult become easy. I want to inspire the world with science and further the public's understanding of it. I want to reach for the stars.

Love. Fear is an emotion I rarely experience, and I do not believe it should be a motivation. Everything I do is for my love of something, be it science, women, entertainment or self-preservation.

3. Do you believe in government?

Yes they're real. Yes we need 'a government', which one we would be better off with is open to doubt.

Do you believe they tell the truth? Why?

They'll say what they like to get votes, truth or otherwise. That's all.

Do you think they have our best interests at heart?

Only because of our votes. At the end of they day they're only there to serve themselves but they do that by serving us, they have to in a democracy. I have no warm cuddly feelings towards politicians or feelings of gratification from them at all. Yes I'm a cynic (only really towards politicians, I rarely think like this otherwise).

The ability to differ from others, develop unique opinions that differ from the social prejudices from our environments, and most importantly not to be persecuted for it.

Knowledge, companionship and physical satisfaction.

It is not written for us or defined. To understand the question fully is everything before we ask it and get an answer. The question makes the assumption that we are 'meant' and that there is a 'reason'. This implies that we were 'caused', or want for a better word, 'created'. When we try to understand the cosmos we inhabit we begin to gather information about our origins, and that evidence does not point to us being intentionally 'caused' or 'created'. Intetion or creation is something that can only done by an itentor or creator. Many people interpret this as 'God' or a set or 'gods', beings which set us into motion in the first place.

To ask this question in the first place may be to misunderstand the cosmos as something that has been created or intended to happen. No evidence at all suggests this is the case. We are here but it seems that there is no reason. There is no reason for anything in the cosmos, except for that which we do ourselves.

This question itself must be changed because we do not have masters or creators that made us to complete a purpose or task. We ourselves decide our own 'meaning' and to our companions we mean something to them.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is more important than bull**** ones about a girl whose friend has never had a girlfriend thus putting her off him and other stupid ****.

Answer these:

ReputationRep:
    Getting an education in something I enjoy, something I am good at and something with which I can succeed in life.

Love. Love and passion are the only reasons for doing anything in life. We'd all do crazy things for the love of our lives, or even our families. But why fear fear? If you're only motivated by fear, you're never going to get anywhere in life. You're going to get to the point at which you've lost the fear and stay there, too afraid to do anything else in case the fear comes back. With love and passion you will always be in a good place and will always go to better places in life.

I believe in government, but not any government on this planet right now. No government has its people in its best interests and you'd be naive to think so. All governments are evil.

The ability do make your own choices and go through with them without anybody interjecting or trying to prevent you from doing so, as long as they don't intrude on other people's freedom.

Succeeding.

There is no meaning. But in life you should find a purpose to live, and stay with that and never forget it. People get too pre-occupied with mundane, everyday tasks and forget the greater picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Succeeding.
    Do you count happiness as succeeding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Do you count happiness as succeeding?
    I count success as happiness.

ReputationRep:
    http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6...0202825578.jpg

Entirely relevant

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely going to try this one day!

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'll play your little game....

I'm working as a trainee ecologist as I want to experience and protect the natural world. I believe art and nature are the finest aspects of life. I'm trying to learn different instruments and I will hopefully set poetry to music at some point. I'm not motivated by fame but I like the idea of sharing my work with a small group of creative elites.

Fear. I fear death. Dying without any sort of legacy is a terrifying thought.

No, no, no. Why? The government is a puppet for oil companies and bankers. I don't doubt MPs genuinely hope their policies will allow the country and individuals to prosper but the system itself is broken. I believe in personal freedom, private property and profit but I can't stand wage slavery and profiteering without giving a product e.g. interest rates, short selling shares, usury, rent (as you never acquire an asset). In a better system employees would mutually own a business. While wage slavery and blatant rip off artistry exists we're not going to be free.

Within the context of this society it simply means having enough money to not have to constantly worry and struggle. In a greater sense it means having pure autonomy and not being a slave to another's agenda.

Experiencing true art, watching animals in their natural environment when they don't know I'm there, company with people who I connect with and being kind.

Clearly this is only a personal agenda but I would say it is to constantly learn and enhance the experience of life for yourself and others.

ReputationRep:
    Really liked the video btw.

I haven't thought too far ahead in the future yet, because I don't know fully who I am yet, still learning about myself, but atm I am studying my A Levels, and have an offer to study an engineering science degree, I'm doing it mainly because I'm interested by science and I believe there is alot of oppurtunity to be had in the future and to do something wonderful.

I would like to say just love but ultimately it is a lot due to fear, pressure to please my parents and to do them proud.

I believe in a right government, I believe they only tell the truth when it is going good, and no I don't think they have our best interests at heart, essentially all governments want to keep people as content as possible without causing a revolution or reform.

The oppurtunity to make something with your life, there are so many kids born into such bad and harsh environments, they have no hope of getting out of there, it's cyclical, this is certainly not freedom.

Good friends, seeing my mum, brother and dad happy, and good atmosphere whether I may be.

Well the basics, is to survive that's what every living thing here is trained to do, so if we're gonna survive and die on this planet, we might as well at least try and be happy before we die.

ReputationRep:
    I am training to be a successful dance teacher because I really want to motivate people, especially kids & teenagers to always follow their dreams.

Love, because I love what I do.

No. Nobody has your best interests at heart because that's just not the way government works these days.

Freedom to me means to go wherever I want to go, without being controlled by people (parents etc.), doing whatever I want to do with my life,...

It makes me happy when I make other people happy and watch them succeed with the help of my advices etc.

Everybody needs to find their own meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I've got one gear - GO. :mmm:

ReputationRep:

Trying to pass A-levels in subjects that I will probably never use in the future for a course that I probably wont use as well and wondering where the **** I will do after that and generally being confused with my future

A bit of both really, the fear of failure (even though it comes to me way too often for me to be afraid of it) and loving my family and try to finally make them proud after seeing me failing so much ( I know they will always be proud but I want a real reason than just being their son)

Yes, order is important and government help in maintaining this. However I don't think they tell the truth, but I don't think any government in the world does. It's a very corrupt world.

Being free from oppression.

Different things really, making others happy, people that I love and anything that makes me smile.

For me, worship god and generally make a positive contribution to the world and more importantly, the people around you. You got to leave something positive.

Can't believe I actually wrote that. I am bored

ReputationRep:

1. I'm in Secondary School, I want to get great GCSEs and A-Levels and later I want to go to Medical School because I would love to be a Doctor... [cheesy]

2. Fear, fear of failing or losing motivates me to revise/study. Love motivation has little or no effect on me because there is no love acting on me lol.

3. Not really. I think they do things for themselves. The rich *******s get what they want while the middle class or lower have to suffer. 'They have a long history of failing' to help their citizens.

4. Freedom means a lot to me because it gives me the 'freedom' to do what I want without always being told what to do and to be able to go about doing my own bussiness.

5. Getting things right, succeeding. Not failing and having people respect me for the things I do makes me happy. #

6. The meaning to life? 42. Lol, I'm joking.
    The meaning of life is to just LIVE and enjoy every bit of it. To succeed in life and get to the goals you want.

I'm only 14 btw, I havn't lived much to answer these questions fully and properly tbh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.