Turn on thread page Beta

Your most underrated albums? watch

ReputationRep:
    What albums have you listened to and decided that they didn't get the press and musical recognition they deserved?

If I had to choose one, it'd be Midtown 120 Blues by DJ Sprinkles: a beautiful, ambient amalgam of distant deep house and electronic soulfulness.

P.S. Give up 8:31 mintues of your time to give it a listen.... it'll be worth; trust me. Tell me what you think....

ReputationRep:
    Clipse - Til the Casket Drops, this album is harrrrddd!

ReputationRep:
    Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater

Actually it's very highly rated among those in the Progressive Metal scene... but most other people haven't even heard of Dream Theater so overall I'd say it's underrated

ReputationRep:
    I'll just choose the one I'm listening to at the minute but I have loads (may post another time!) Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook. His others are great too but unusually my favourite is the most recent. It's my working album when I don't want anything too distracting

ReputationRep:
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ----------)
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea
    You're kidding, right? Everyone and his granny who wants to sound 'indie' places that as their favourite album.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beneb)
    You're kidding, right? Everyone and his granny who wants to sound 'indie' places that as their favourite album.
    Maybe among indie kids and critics, but theyve never receieved mainstream success. Can you honestly say if you'd asked 10 people in the street more than on or two would know them?

I'll give it another try then:

Tubelord - Our First American Friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)

Actually it's very highly rated among those in the Progressive Metal scene... but most other people haven't even heard of Dream Theater so overall I'd say it's underrated
    Such a good album

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beneb)
    lets hear one from you then anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Interpol - turn on the bright lights

ReputationRep:
    Brand New - Deja Entendu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Interpol - turn on the bright lights
    Ermm.... Interpol are a pretty damn famous and recognised band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    Ermm.... Interpol are a pretty damn famous and recognised band.
    Ach i didn't hear much about them in 02/03.

Or recently as a matter of fact, nobody in my school talked about them.

Just checked, #101 in the UK albums chart????? Not underrated???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ----------)
    Maybe among indie kids and critics, but theyve never receieved mainstream success. Can you honestly say if you'd asked 10 people in the street more than on or two would know them?
    That doesn't mean that they are underrated; the man on the street won't know most critically acclaimed bands/novelists/directors/playwrights etc. etc. etc. That's just the way it is.

I'd take 'underrated' to mean that a band have been unfairly disregarded in favour of similar, more successful, bands, so in that sense I bemoan the lack of general acclaim for 'Wrong' by Nomeansno, or 'Los Angeles' by X. Also, everyone knows the 'Big Four' of thrash, and so forget about albums such as 'The Legacy' by Testament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my9rides)
    Brand New - Deja Entendu
    yes! although its not underrated among that circuit, and when I went to America everyone knew about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)

I'd say 'Awake' is more underrated personally... although all of Dream Theater is underrated in the grand scheme of things. +rep :P

In terms of the most underrated albums I can think of, 'Legacy' by Shadow Gallery, and 'Subsurface' by Threshold, both come to mind. I can't decide between them. If the two following songs don't convince sceptics that metal isn't all about tuneless noise, I don't know what will.

Shadow Gallery - 'Destination Unknown', from the album 'Legacy'.

Threshold - 'Mission Profile', from the album 'Subsurface'.

ReputationRep:
    Razorlight - Razorlight

Don't know why but I like almost every song on that album its the only one which i do. Single would have to be
    Never Went To Church - The Streets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Ach i didn't hear much about them in 02/03.

Or recently as a matter of fact, nobody in my school talked about them.

Just checked, #101 in the UK albums chart????? Not underrated???
    Oh well, if we're going to use the "charts" as a scale for defining musical recognition, then pretty much everything I listen to is underrated.

I meant underrated in terms of an artist or album who hasn't received the deserved exposure and reverence amongst the musical community. For example, just because Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" isn't in the charts doesn't mean that the album's composition, arrangement, melodies and underlying genius is underrated.

ReputationRep:
    Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery

Awesome LP, really great classic late 80's Thrash/Doom Metal but the band is almost completely unknown and didn't get the acclaim they deserved.

ReputationRep:
    Midlake - The Courage of Others
    MGMT - Congratulations
    Boards of Canada - Geogaddi > I actually like this record more than MHTRTC right now
    Clinic - Internal Wrangler
    Deerhunter - Weird Era Cont. > I think this one was released with Microcastle and as much as I love Microcastle, I think Weird Era is probably their strongest record and it seems to not be mentioned too much when talking about Deerhunter. I actually think Halcyon Digest is slightly overrated.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.