Turn on thread page Beta

Your most underrated albums? watch

ReputationRep:
    The Trick To Life - The Hoosiers
    Such An Underrated Album :/

ReputationRep:
    black sabbath - sabotage. Their best album by a mile, but people seem to stop caring between sabbath bloody sabbath and heaven and hell. Missing out on the most evil sounding stuff they managed to write

ReputationRep:

Therapy? Infernal Love

One of the most lyrically brilliant and disturbing albums ever written. Anyone who has been through a bad breakup can relate to some of the joyfully spiteful and twisted stuff on this album.

The little run of songs from 3-6 are breathtaking:
    A Moment Of Clarity
    Jude The Obscene
    Bowels Of Love
    Misery

ReputationRep:
    The Bends by Radiohead. Its always unfairly compared to OK computer although it is a completely different album.
    Pinkerton by Weezer. Always unfairly compared with the blue album, although i think it fit the bill for the second album perfectly - continued with the guitar riffs that everyone loved but was more experimental lyrically and a bit heavier.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Is that really underrated?

ReputationRep:
    Runnin Wild by Airbourne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Is that really underrated?
    Critically it is not but in terms of popularity I would say it is. I dont think it entered the charts highly at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say All Hour Cymbals by Yeasayer. I don't think it received much attention (but correct me if I'm wrong).

ReputationRep:
    Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice
    Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line
    Willy Mason - Where the Humans Eat

(Original post by Devel)
    Everyone and their mum likes a bit of Sufjan.

ReputationRep:
    Television - Adventure
    Harry Nilsson - Harry
    The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
    Gravenhurst - Flashlight Seasons (underrated band in general tbh)
    Charles Mingus - Blues and Roots (compared to stuff like Mingus Ah Um and Pithecanthropus Erectus, anyhow)
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Bravery, Repetition and Noise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Television - Adventure
    Harry Nilsson - Harry
    Gravenhurst - Flashlight Seasons (underrated band in general tbh)
    Charles Mingus - Blues and Roots (compared to stuff like Mingus Ah Um and Pithecanthropus Erectus, anyhow)
    The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Bravery, Repetition and Noise
    YEAH! To those three in bold.... haven't heard of the other two, but VU's debut is one of the most famous rock albums! Mingus's Blues and Roots I haven't listened to, however.... gonna download right now.

ReputationRep:
    Gil Scott-Heron - Winter in America
    Queens of the Stone Age - Debut (self-titled)
    MF Doom - MM.. Food.
    The Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II
    Incubus - Make Yourself
    Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
    Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Sheer and utter genius as an album, but is this really underrated? I saw it in HMV, even, the other day on a display labelled 'albums you have to own' or words to that effect - and I'm pretty sure it's critically acclaimed as a very important album. (Although maybe my HMV is just very enlightened )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Gutsy)
    Gil Scott-Heron - Winter in America
    Queens of the Stone Age - Debut (self-titled)
    MF Doom - MM.. Food.
    The Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II
    Incubus - Make Yourself
    Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
    Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
    :eek: I've never known anyone who listens to GSH's old work.... one of my favourite artists of all time. I'd say Pieces of a Man is his best album....

Also, props to you for MF doom and Pink Floyd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Sheer and utter genius as an album, but is this really underrated? I saw it in HMV, even, the other day on a display labelled 'albums you have to own' or words to that effect - and I'm pretty sure it's critically acclaimed as a very important album. (Although maybe my HMV is just very enlightened )

Compared to their other stuff? Yes. The debut is excellent, but regarded more highly, which I think is unfair. White Light/White Heat also gets more love, mostly for the title track and Sister Ray. Loaded, also brilliant, but a lot less interesting as an album than their other stuff; you can really tell the studio wanted it 'loaded with hits'. This bias towards the other albums is also pretty evident in Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums list, where it comes in at 300-something when VU & Nico is 13, Loaded 100 & something, and even White Light ranks higher. :indiff:

But hey, at least HMV are on the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beneb)
    That doesn't mean that they are underrated; the man on the street won't know most critically acclaimed bands/novelists/directors/playwrights etc. etc. etc. That's just the way it is.

I'd take 'underrated' to mean that a band have been unfairly disregarded in favour of similar, more successful, bands, so in that sense I bemoan the lack of general acclaim for 'Wrong' by Nomeansno, or 'Los Angeles' by X. Also, everyone knows the 'Big Four' of thrash, and so forget about albums such as 'The Legacy' by Testament.
    Regardless, I chose an album I love and I would love more people to listen to, simple as that, you really didn't need to prove you're the real music buff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ----------)
    Regardless, I chose an album I love and I would love more people to listen to, simple as that, you really didn't need to prove you're the real music buff.
    Believe me, I am not a 'music buff'. (I hate that expression. ) You asked me my opinion; I answered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    Pinkerton by Weezer. Always unfairly compared with the blue album, although i think it fit the bill for the second album perfectly - continued with the guitar riffs that everyone loved but was more experimental lyrically and a bit heavier.
    Good choice. I happened to dig Pinkerton out today for the first time in ages.

The Great Depression by Defiance, Ohio

ReputationRep:
    Titus Andronicus - The Monitor

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.