Turn on thread page Beta

How to get a general health check up watch

Announcements

What is the easiest way to get one... I rang up my doctor a few months ago and they said that they would only see me if I knew something was wrong with me, but that's why I want the check up. I haven't been to my GP or hospital at all in the past 8 years so I don't think I qualify as a hypochondriac, but I do think I may be ill (in particular, I'm worried about the number of new moles I have). This worry was somewhat prompted by a close family member dying of cancer last summer... I guess I'm just wondering if anybody with more experience of using their GP could direct me on what's the best way to ask for one?

Thanks
    (anonymous as I don't want to cause undue concern to friends on here)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Call your gp get an apointment and tell them you are worried about the moles

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure getting new moles is a worrying sign, go back to your doctor and tell them about it

ReputationRep:
    at my GPs you get thrown out the practice if you don't attend a check up at least once a year so I'm surprised you've got away with. 8 years.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to tell the person making the appointment what it's about if you don't want to, just tell them that it's personal if you don't want to say moles. Also, stop worrying about it (even if that's by going to the GP to have these moles checked), as that probably isn't doing you any good either

(Original post by Persephone9)
    You don't have to tell the person making the appointment what it's about if you don't want to, just tell them that it's personal if you don't want to say moles. Also, stop worrying about it (even if that's by going to the GP to have these moles checked), as that probably isn't doing you any good either
    You don't? Oh, I wasn't sure about that. In that case I guess I probably can get to the doctor before explaining that I don't know if there's anything actually wrong, and they're quite unlikely to turn me away, hopefully. Thank you. In that case I might as well ring tomorrow.

I had thought that if I told them it was a mole issue they might direct me to a dermatologist or whatever, but I'm really after just someone telling me i'm not ill in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You don't? Oh, I wasn't sure about that. In that case I guess I probably can get to the doctor before explaining that I don't know if there's anything actually wrong, and they're quite unlikely to turn me away, hopefully. Thank you. In that case I might as well ring tomorrow.

I had thought that if I told them it was a mole issue they might direct me to a dermatologist or whatever, but I'm really after just someone telling me i'm not ill in general.
    They shouldn't tell you on the phone anyway that you're fine if you say that you're worried about a mole, as that's a valid reason for wanting to see the doctor, but if you want you can still say that it's personal.

You might get refered to a dermatologist is your GP isn't sure about it, but moles can also sometimes be removed at the GPs and sent to the lab for testing if they look suspicious, or the GP should be able to tell you that it's a normal mole

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't ask you why you want an appointment at all because that info should be confidential between you and your GP. :curious:
    If you really must give a reason then mention the moles.

ReputationRep:
    I think getting the moles checked out is a valid reason to go to the doctors. If you aren't feeling out of sorts in any other way, you're probably fine and that's why you haven't had to go for so long (I remember those days!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    They shouldn't ask you why you want an appointment at all because that info should be confidential between you and your GP. :curious:
    Perfectly reasonable to ask, to allow for basic triage of patients - you wouldn't want to give a same day appointment to a minor complaint for instance in case the next call was a sick baby or something

Equally you are well within your rights to not give the info to the receptionist if you don't want, and should never be pressured into saying if you don't want. If they are being arsey or refusing an appointment despite not wanting to say ask to speak to the practice manager.

If they are still being funny, quote the General Medical Council's guidance:

(Original post by Good Medical Practice: Duties of a doctor)
    Patients must be able to trust doctors with their lives and health. To justify that trust you must show respect for human life and you must:

Make the care of your patient your first concern
    Protect and promote the health of patients and the public
    Provide a good standard of practice and care
    - Keep your professional knowledge and skills up to date
    - Recognise and work within the limits of your competence
    - Work with colleagues in the ways that best serve patients' interests
    Treat patients as individuals and respect their dignity
    - Treat patients politely and considerately
    - Respect patients' right to confidentiality
    Work in partnership with patients
    - Listen to patients and respond to their concerns and preferences
    -Give patients the information they want or need in a way they can understand
    - Respect patients' right to reach decisions with you about their treatment and care
    -Support patients in caring for themselves to improve and maintain their health
    Be honest and open and act with integrity
    - Act without delay if you have good reason to believe that you or a colleague may be putting patients at risk
    - Never discriminate unfairly against patients or colleagues
    - Never abuse your patients' trust in you or the public's trust in the profession.

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect from a 'health check up'? There's no such thing in general medicine, doctor's take a history, do a focused examination and select investigations based on a collection of symptoms and a differential diagnosis. If there's nothing particularly wrong with you there's nothing particular to ask about or examine.

If you're worried about moles, say so and you'll be asked about your moles and have a doctor look at them for you.

ReputationRep:
    Just book an appointment with your GP for the reason you want. If there's multiple things you want to check them, when you sit down with your GP just tell them something like "Well it's a couple of things actually" and go through them systematically.

Specifically regarding the moles, I noticed a new mole on my body, and I've been the the GP to get it checked out, and I figured I might as well get a load checked out while I was there. The one I was worried about wasn't an issue, I've been told to keep an eye on it, but I'm getting 3 others removed next month. One of the 'danger' ones I need to get removed I noticed literally the day before my appointment.

If your worried about a mole, check the ABCDE template.

If a new mole features or an old one develops...

Asymmetry
    Irregular Borders
    Multiple Colours
    Large Diameter
    Elevation

Then it's good to get it checked out. Mole inspections are one of the most common procedures done by GPs so they know what to look for. Also, a mole can have one of the above features and not be dangerous, being simply atypical (just unusual) but the only way to know for sure is to get them checked. Don't hesitate.

Like I said, if you've got any other general concerns just bring it up with them at the same time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.