Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm thinking of making myself some pear cider, and was wondering if anyone has any experience or a good recipe they'd like to share.

ReputationRep:
    No-one wants to help me make delicious cider? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Pear juice is slightly sweeter than apple juice (I think) so perhaps just use a basic apple cider recipe and reduce the amount of sugar slightly?

Good luck with it. I have a feeling homemade pear cider could turn out incredible.

Make sure to find a way of getting the yeast out if you're not going to drink it all quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Pear juice is slightly sweeter than apple juice (I think) so perhaps just use a basic apple cider recipe and reduce the amount of sugar slightly?

Good luck with it. I have a feeling homemade pear cider could turn out incredible.

Make sure to find a way of getting the yeast out if you're not going to drink it all quickly.
    I don't think that'll be a problem.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If the process is anything like making apple cider at home you'll need to get yourself several varieties of pear.
    And of course a cider press (you COULD buy one, but it's more fun to make one! You'll need some really rather sturdy bits of wood and a car jack) and scratter to get the pears into a form which is pressable/crushable (you could do it by hand but that would take days for any meaningful amount of fruit)

Also something you might want to look out for are books on cider making at home. That'll tell you exactly what you need, and what ingredients to put in when it tastes horrible (I say when rather than if...first attempts should never be expected to be good!) to try and rectify the flavour.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    So I'm thinking of making myself some pear cider, and was wondering if anyone has any experience or a good recipe they'd like to share.
    Pear cider? - Ie. +cider flavoured with pear concentrate). If you mean the drink produced by putting pears through the same process as apples are for cider, you mean Perry. Pear cider is just apple cider with added pear flavourings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry#Pear_cider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    If the process is anything like making apple cider at home you'll need to get yourself several varieties of pear.
    And of course a cider press (you COULD buy one, but it's more fun to make one! You'll need some really rather sturdy bits of wood and a car jack) and scratter to get the pears into a form which is pressable/crushable (you could do it by hand but that would take days for any meaningful amount of fruit)

Also something you might want to look out for are books on cider making at home. That'll tell you exactly what you need, and what ingredients to put in when it tastes horrible (I say when rather than if...first attempts should never be expected to be good!) to try and rectify the flavour.

Good luck!
    I was going to cheat and skip that stage, and just buy bottles of pear juice.

(Original post by HistoryRepeating)
    Pear cider? - Ie. +cider flavoured with pear concentrate). If you mean the drink produced by putting pears through the same process as apples are for cider, you mean Perry. Pear cider is just apple cider with added pear flavourings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry#Pear_cider
    I guess I mean perry then, although I was considering mixing apple and pear juice, which would presumably make it cider again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Ah, fair enough. That would be considerably easier and less time consuming!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you check that the juice doesn't contain any added preservatives which may impinge on the yeast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    Make sure you check that the juice doesn't contain any added preservatives which may impinge on the yeast.
    Thanks for the tip. I think the stuff I was going to buy is pure pear juice, but I'll be sure to check and see.

ReputationRep:
    I read that you should also look for juice which hasn't been pasteurized as you'll get a better result. Although it's unlikely you'll be able to find any unless you live near a farm.

ReputationRep:
    I read that you should also look for juice which hasn't been pasteurized as you'll get a better result. Although it's unlikely you'll be able to find any unless you live near a farm.
    Doubt that's gonna happen. When you made cider what recipe did you use? I've been looking online, but all the recipes I've found are for making whole gallons of it and call for proper winemakers' yeast and stuff, I just want a basic recipe that says how much sugar and yeast to add per pint.

I've decided to make two lots now, one pear one apple.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt that's gonna happen. When you made cider what recipe did you use? I've been looking online, but all the recipes I've found are for making whole gallons of it and call for proper winemakers' yeast and stuff, I just want a basic recipe that says how much sugar and yeast to add per pint.

I've decided to make two lots now, one pear one apple.
    I used this page, but it's been changed since I last accessed it, I'm not sure what's different, it looks about right, think I put more apple juice in possibly:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Hard-Cider

Loads of the recipes I found also called for weird yeast, that's why I used that one. Also because it had the simple lock, rather than ****ing about with proper bottles and stuff. Just adjust the amounts proportionally to each other to make more or less.

The main problem I had was drinking it all at the perfect stage of fermentation. It went a bit vinegary near the bottom as I didn't bother with the racking stage.

ps. I take no responsibility for any blindness or other effects you may get from doing this.

ReputationRep:
    I used this page, but it's been changed since I last accessed it, I'm not sure what's different, it looks about right, think I put more apple juice in possibly:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Hard-Cider

Loads of the recipes I found also called for weird yeast, that's why I used that one. Also because it had the simple lock, rather than ****ing about with proper bottles and stuff. Just adjust the amounts proportionally to each other to make more or less.

The main problem I had was drinking it all at the perfect stage of fermentation. It went a bit vinegary near the bottom as I didn't bother with the racking stage.

ps. I take no responsibility for any blindness or other effects you may get from doing this.
    That's perfect, thank you so much. I especially like this bit: "Remember, if you're using baking yeast to ferment your must, the alcohol content of your end product could be as high as 12%." :awesome:

Drinking it shouldn't be a problem, I'm planning on timing it to coincide with when I've got a friend coming to stay, and I'm sure between us we can soon polish it off. How long did you leave yours to brew for?

I accept full responsibility for whatever might befall me, just be sure to have a drink at my funeral.

ReputationRep:
    That's perfect, thank you so much. I especially like this bit: "Remember, if you're using baking yeast to ferment your must, the alcohol content of your end product could be as high as 12%." :awesome:

Drinking it shouldn't be a problem, I'm planning on timing it to coincide with when I've got a friend coming to stay, and I'm sure between us we can soon polish it off. How long did you leave yours to brew for?

I accept full responsibility for whatever might befall me, just be sure to have a drink at my funeral.
    Mine was about 10% I'd estimate, it was pretty good. :cool: Can't really recall how long I left it, I think about 3 or 4 weeks, because I remember getting really impatient with it. You can tell how long when all the crap is at the bottom and there's no movement in it anymore.

Might have to make some more myself...

ReputationRep:
    Urr, pears & cider?

ReputationRep:
    I've bought all the ingredients now, just need to drink two litres of lemonade and then I can get started. I've decided to try making ordinary apple cider first, then maybe after that I'll try it with pear juice.

ReputationRep:
    Homemade cider ****ing rocks.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.