Turn on thread page Beta

48÷2(9+3) = ? watch

• View Poll Results: 48/2(9+3)
    52.47%
    47.53%

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timiop2008)

Although I agree with the concept portrayed by the image, no need to spam it...

EDIT: <Realises he's just accidentally spammed it himself, and facepalms>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haddock3)
    Although I agree with the concept portrayed by the image, no need to spam it...
    sorry lol... you have go to admit that this thread is getting pretty annoying now though with people going its 2... its 288... its 2 ... its 288......etc...... arghhhh.

ReputationRep:
    sorry lol... you have go to admit that this thread is getting pretty annoying now though with people going its 2... its 288... its 2 ... its 288......etc...... arghhhh.
    Yes, I admit that people refusing to let go of their varied reasons why it "should" be one or the other (like the distributive law ;P, nudge nudge wink wink) is getting pretty annoying, especially with some pretty strong defence from nuodai in particular, myself and a few others too, saying that the question is ambiguous, but unfortunately I'm involved now, and can't bring myself to stop arguing on behalf of the (still undersupported) ambiguity case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    Use Wolfram Alpha you can't get it wrong then.
    sure you can. it all depends how you write it in, wolfram relies hevily on on delimiters and cannot function otherwise. so it just depends how you intepret it which is what the whole argument is about, unfortunately.

personally, i'm still on the side of 2. (though yes, I admit it's ambigous and could be taken either way, but with my level of teaching and education personally, I wouldn't approach it any other way) but meh this argument is getting pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I admit that people refusing to let go of their varied reasons why it "should" be one or the other (like the distributive law ;P, nudge nudge wink wink) is getting pretty annoying, especially with some pretty strong defence from nuodai in particular, myself and a few others too, saying that the question is ambiguous, but unfortunately I'm involved now, and can't bring myself to stop arguing on behalf of the (still undersupported) ambiguity case.
    yea nuodai seems pretty intelligent. To be honest, he converted me from the distributive law crowd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameraGirl)
    personally, i'm still on the side of 2. (though yes, I admit it's ambigous and could be taken either way, but with my level of teaching and education personally, I wouldn't approach it any other way) but meh this argument is getting pointless.
    Yes, we get that you think it's 2; I can see why you think that. I can also see why others think it's 288.

However, if you think this argument is getting pointless (a point on which I agree with you), I think you need to put more stress on the ambiguity thing; by quoting qualification and then stating either 2 or 288 you are simply encouraging others to carry on making wild statements that it's "definitely" one or the other.

So please stop doing that?

ReputationRep:
    yea nuodai seems pretty intelligent. To be honest, he converted me from the distributive law crowd.
    If only we could get an admin to pin that image to the first page of this thread.... hmmm?

ReputationRep:
    Damn right, I wanna meet the guy! :P

Hehe yeah I noticed you'd changed your mind, but couldn't resist a stab, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scribblet)
    Type -3^2 on your calculator.
    If it's similar to most of the calculators I've ever owned it will come up with -9. As we all know this isn't right.
    I am aware of this issue with calculators and I was going to post it, but you got there before me.

-3 squared is a possible mistake a calculator can make, but im unaware of how the issue in this thread goes with calculators

i also dont know whether people here should be trusting websites/math programmes like wolframalpha (or whather its called) for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm off to sleep now. When I get up I'm guessing that mod (again, can't remember who) will have closed the thread.

So just wanted to thank everyone who took part! Oh dear, I really should never have got involved, should I...

ReputationRep:
    and the answer is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    and the answer is?
    Ambiguous. Now to bed.

ReputationRep:
    33 pages?

Also, who added a poll?

I'm think about it. I asked a Maths lecturer who does Topology and he said it is 2.

ReputationRep:
    OH SWEET JESUS. THE ANSWER IS TWO. TWWWWWOOOOOOO. Bloody HELL, there are some serious idiots in this thread.
    A2 Further Maths student here with 3 A's from January exams. So BELIEVE ME, that the answer is you-are-a-gigantic-****-head-if-you-think-the-answer-is-not-two.

Stay in school, kids.

ReputationRep:
    Lol OMG
    what is wrong with u people

read the question PROPPERLY !!!! AND U MIGHT JUST FIGURE IT OUT !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C. Nworb)
    OH SWEET JESUS. THE ANSWER IS TWO. TWWWWWOOOOOOO. Bloody HELL, there are some serious idiots in this thread.
    A2 Further Maths student here with 3 A's from January exams. So BELIEVE ME, that the answer is you-are-a-gigantic-****-head-if-you-think-the-answer-is-not-two.

Stay in school, kids.
    I would like to hypothesise that this thread is actually not about an equation at all, but instead is a clever experiment designed to prove that any thread posted on the internet will eventually degenerate to become a post like this one.

ReputationRep:
    Ambiguous. Now to bed.
    But. But. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    The answer is obviously 288, anyone who says it's 2 is an idiot! Here's how i'll explain it:

48 divided by 2 is 24 multiplied by 12 =288

And there is your answer!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Also Student room has been trolled hard.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.