52.47%
    47.53%

ReputationRep:
    For me it's:
    48÷2(9+3) = 2
    48/2(9+3) = 2
    48÷2x(9+3) = 288
    (48÷2)(9+3) = 288

I think...so the ans is 2 cause without the multiplication sign the 2 is multiplied into the bracket before any other operations?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i swear its 288 coz u multiply the answer with the 48/2? :\ i dunno
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I get 288

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_92)
    Your final two lines don't follow the rules of BIDMAS/BODMAS at all. You have multiplied the 12 by 2 before diving.

As much as everyones brain wants it to be 2:

48 ÷ 2(9+3) IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS 48 ÷ 2 x (9+3)

= 48 ÷ 2 x 12
    = 24 x 12 (BIDMAS)
    = 288

I know, I don't want it to be 288 either, but it's the facts
    It's the way the question is set out then. It should've been set out clearer.
    For me, it seems as though the 2(9+3) comes together as a calculation as opposed to your 48 ÷ 2 x 12 as separate calculations.

Really, if the questioner wanted to set it clearer, he/she should've put a "/" sign instead of "÷"

I still personally think it's 2. BODMAS is just an indication because both division and multiplication are treated equally, as does the subtraction and addition. The main point in BODMAS is really to highlight how brackets take precedence followed by multiplication/division and then subtraction/addition. The main importance is how the calculation is set out.

ReputationRep:
    BODMAS.

Brackets: 2(9+3) = 24
    Division: 48 / 24 = 2.

Casio CFX-9850G backs this up

ReputationRep:
    it's two, the division sign's confusing everyone

48/2(9+3) = 2
    48/2(12) = 2
    48/24 = 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    To save any confusion it should be written like:

\frac{48}{2(9+3)} or \frac{48}{2}(9+3)
    you do know they're two entirely different equations?

on the second you'd times by 1/2(9 + 3)...

ReputationRep:
    The problem is unclearly written, but it's not ambiguous if you understand the way in which you prioritise the operations. Despite the very poor phrasing of the problem, you shouldn't add anything to it.

48/2(9+3) is neither:

*48/(2(9+3)) - for which the answer would be 2; or
    *(48/2)(9+3) - for which the answer would be 288.

It is simply 48/2(9+3).

To clear up another misconception, BIDMAS (Or BODMAS, or PEDMAS - whatever acronym you use) does not prioritise division over multiplication or addition over subtraction. The hierarchy is, in descending order from left to right: (B)(I)(DM)(AS). M&D and A&S are both commutative, so it really doesn't matter in what order you do them, since you'll end up with the same thing either way.

So what answer does that bring this problem to? The problem is a series of operations (it's actually more of a CompSci problem than a maths problem) and you should arrive at the answer 288.

48/2 = 24.
    24(9+3) = 24(12) = 288.

If you've arrived at the answer 2, you've added an extra set of parenthesis that wasn't implied in the question.

Or y'know, that's what I think. :l

ReputationRep:
    Ok I did some googling and I think the answer is 2. This link explains why and it seems logical to me.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=133414063

ReputationRep:
    I got 288

ReputationRep:
    It's ambiguous, especially to a computer or calculator. The answer could be 2 or 288 depending on how you look at it. I'd say 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by best superlative)
    the problem is unclearly written, but it's not ambiguous if you understand the way in which you prioritise the operations. Despite the very poor phrasing of the problem, you shouldn't add anything to it.

48/2(9+3) is neither:

*48/(2(9+3)) - for which the answer would be 2; or
    *(48/2)(9+3) - for which the answer would be 288.

It is simply 48/2(9+3).

To clear up another misconception, bidmas (or bodmas, or pedmas - whatever acronym you use) does not prioritise division over multiplication or addition over subtraction. The hierarchy is, in descending order from left to right: (b)(i)(dm)(as). M&d and a&s are both commutative, so it really doesn't matter in what order you do them, since you'll end up with the same thing either way.

So what answer does that bring this problem to? The problem is a series of operations (it's actually more of a compsci problem than a maths problem) and you should arrive at the answer 288.

48/2 = 24.
    24(9+3) = 24(12) = 288.

If you've arrived at the answer 2, you've added an extra set of parenthesis that wasn't implied in the question.

Or y'know, that's what i think. :l
    ___

2(9+3)

ReputationRep:
    Its definetely 2

ReputationRep:
     \infty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Sorry, but some people at the Maths computer cluster was arguing about this.

I say it's 2.
    Technically, it's 288. When you go through BIDMAS, you start with brackets so get 48/2*12. No indices, so move onto division. 48/2 is 24. Then multiplication: 24*12 = 288. Nothing else so answer is 288

ReputationRep:
    Also Wolfram Alpha, the cleverest thing that has ever existed ever, says it's 288. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%C3%B72(9%2B3))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HedonisticMe)
    you do know they're two entirely different equations?

on the second you'd times by 1/2(9 + 3)...
    I think he/she knows this. I think he's saying it should be displayed like A or B to show how the questioner SHOULD present it to show the difference in calculation and make it clear for the reader what the questioner is trying to ask for.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is just :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HedonisticMe)
    ___

2(9+3)
    You've rearranged the problem!

The way you've written it is an inferred action, and that's where I think the majority of the incorrect calculations are coming from. Don't alter it, just take it how it is.

ReputationRep:
    48/2(9+3) = poor notation.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.