Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Firends are too reluctant to try anything new watch

I have friends who are really great and I'm close to them, but they are very "indoor" people and don't like to go out that much. I feel I'm missing on chances to meet new people and seeing as I don't have a gf at 21 (1st year tho), this is important to me. What can I do really? Attending things by yourself is horrible. For instance at uni I attended all the societies I wanted at the beginning of my 1st year and they were all bad and I couldn't get anything flowing with anyone, with friends I find it very easy tho.
    What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    What was bad about the societies?

(Original post by Bazlehman)
    What was bad about the societies?
    I was excluded socially. They all had established friendship groups and weren't letting me in. It's too late now, the first year's would have established groups themsleves now too.

ReputationRep:
    You're not gonna make new friends when you just want to stick by your old friends when going to societies. Just throw yourself in the deep end and join a society by yourself and make conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Find some kind of compromise? You could maybe make them all join a society they'd be interested in, or maybe start up your own with them. Or just talk to more people out and about and forge a couple of new friendships, they could grow and become something beautiful

(Original post by Phobia27)
    You're not gonna make new friends when you just want to stick by your old friends when going to societies. Just throw yourself in the deep end and join a society by yourself and make conversation.
    But the thing is I've "thrown myself in the deep end" so many times and it never worked out. I had a few people to talk to, but they were aquaintances and would never want to invite me as far as a night out.

I only became successful when I had my current friends and branched out friendships from him, getting my own circle.

need more help than this people!

ReputationRep:
    well just say to your friends that you will all go and take the piss out of posh knobs at the societies, they mighty be into it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    need more help than this people!
    well just say to your friends that you will all go and take the piss out of posh knobs at the societies, they mighty be into it lol

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys tried anal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have friends who are really great and I'm close to them, but they are very "indoor" people and don't like to go out that much. I feel I'm missing on chances to meet new people and seeing as I don't have a gf at 21 (1st year tho), this is important to me. What can I do really? Attending things by yourself is horrible. For instance at uni I attended all the societies I wanted at the beginning of my 1st year and they were all bad and I couldn't get anything flowing with anyone, with friends I find it very easy tho.
    What can I do?
    There's not much u can do if they're set in their ways. But yeah like an earlier poster said go for it alone. Its what I've been doing, its how I met most of my current friends anyway. My friends dont like clubbing much, so I go with other ppl (had varied amounts of fun with this); they dont listen to the same music as me so Im going to a concert alone...meeting ppl at the pre party and hopefully kicking on frm there.

And its not even like I connect with every person I meet easily but its important to get out there and live ur life the way u wanna.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.