Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need a bit of help. I don't know whether to go on a course that is good and i would enjoy at an ex-poly or a course slightly similar but not rated as high but at a better russell group university? HELP

Always ALWAYS go for the one you think you'll enjoy more! Without a doubt. You could be at Oxford and not enjoy it if you didn't like the course. By-in-large the university is irrelevant, it's what you're getting taught that matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StefanieLouise)
    Always ALWAYS go for the one you think you'll enjoy more! Without a doubt. You could be at Oxford and not enjoy it if you didn't like the course. By-in-large the university is irrelevant, it's what you're getting taught that matters.
    I do agree but there's so much 'university pride' and I feel with the fees going up in 2012 (the year after I go) that the university you go to is going to matter more than ever! Say it was two or so years ago I'd of probably gone with my heart but I fear that if I do it might mean no job/low job prospects at the end of it. ESPECIALLY since it's a media-related degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiekatina)
    I do agree but there's so much 'university pride' and I feel with the fees going up in 2012 (the year after I go) that the university you go to is going to matter more than ever! Say it was two or so years ago I'd of probably gone with my heart but I fear that if I do it might mean no job/low job prospects at the end of it. ESPECIALLY since it's a media-related degree.
    are you rating them overall or by the subject you are going to do (media) ?

I know, it's a shame really. Let's not even get into what's going to happen when the fees go up next year, I just count myself lucky that I won't have to pay them! I don't really know much about media related degrees, but in terms of job prospects I would recommend OP just looks at the relevant league tables and make up their mind about which ratings/figures matter to them the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geekay1)
    are you rating them overall or by the subject you are going to do (media) ?
    Well that's the thing. Ok we have the choices of Uni of Liverpool or Birmingham City.

Uni of Liverpool rank overall 32th, rank as subject 28th.
    Birmingham City rank overall 58th, rank as subject 18th. (Guardian ranks it in top 5 which is amongst Warwick and other really high institutions for the subject)

(source: The Complete University Guide)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StefanieLouise)
    I know, it's a shame really. Let's not even get into what's going to happen when the fees go up next year, I just count myself lucky that I won't have to pay them! I don't really know much about media related degrees, but in terms of job prospects I would recommend OP just looks at the relevant league tables and make up their mind about which ratings/figures matter to them the most.
    Yeah deffo I know it's quite a niche and also 'marmite' subject, media degrees, but yeah that's what I've been doing. I think the poly looks a lot better in that sense but you know I got four quite good A-Level grades (ABBC) and other than that course which asks for BBC, I will be amongst a lot people that have used the BTEC route and probably gained less than 300 UCAS Points. Ah mannn!

ReputationRep:
    Well that's the thing. Ok we have the choices of Uni of Liverpool or Birmingham City.

Uni of Liverpool rank overall 32th, rank as subject 28th.
    Birmingham City rank overall 58th, rank as subject 18th. (Guardian ranks it in top 5 which is amongst Warwick and other really high institutions for the subject)

(source: The Complete University Guide)
    yep Birmingham is 5th in the guardian ranking my advice would be Birmingham i would think a lot of employers in the media industry would recognise a uni with a good media department

sorry im presuming Birmingham is the one you said you would enjoy lol

if it is then i would defo go with it consider any of the top ten media unis and then check the rankings for overall as-well

but im sure you dont wanna spend the next 3/4 years of your life miserable so make sure you go to a uni where you are going to enjoy living

ReputationRep:
    Yeah deffo I know it's quite a niche and also 'marmite' subject, media degrees, but yeah that's what I've been doing. I think the poly looks a lot better in that sense but you know I got four quite good A-Level grades (ABBC) and other than that course which asks for BBC, I will be amongst a lot people that have used the BTEC route and probably gained less than 300 UCAS Points. Ah mannn!
    You have good grades- I'd personally find it hard to reject Liverpool uni which has a better reputation and better job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    You have good grades- I'd personally find it hard to reject Liverpool uni which has a better reputation and better job prospects.
    Yeah I know which is the reason why I am writing this and loosing sleep over it LOL. I have heard that even if I get a 2:1 it may be equivalent to a 1st at Birmingham City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geekay1)
    yep Birmingham is 5th in the guardian ranking my advice would be Birmingham i would think a lot of employers in the media industry would recognise a uni with a good media department

sorry im presuming Birmingham is the one you said you would enjoy lol

if it is then i would defo go with it consider any of the top ten media unis and then check the rankings for overall as-well

but im sure you dont wanna spend the next 3/4 years of your life miserable so make sure you go to a uni where you are going to enjoy living
    Yeah Birmingham would be the one I would enjoy.

I disagree with the fact that the media industry know a uni with a good media department. Many of them would prefer to see 'Liverpool educated' than 'Birmingham City' educated. On the flip side the BCU course makes it compulsory that you take up regular work placements throughout your degree which builds on contacts and stuff which is key.

I am also more than likely to do a PGCE in media to become a media teacher (that's if I don't get a well-paid media job which I could only dream of aha) so I'm not sure whether a 'bad' uni would affect my chance to get teaching post.

Thanks yeah I agree, I have already dropped out of a really good Uni (mainly because I was ill but also the course I hated was a significant factor) so I don't wanna make that mistake again!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know which is the reason why I am writing this and loosing sleep over it LOL. I have heard that even if I get a 2:1 it may be equivalent to a 1st at Birmingham City.
    What is the name of your course? I can tell you what percentage get a 1st/2.1 at both universities.

ReputationRep:
    What is the name of your course? I can tell you what percentage get a 1st/2.1 at both universities.
    'Media and Communications' at BCU
    and
    'Communications, Media and Popular Music' at UOL

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go for the one you'd enjoy more!! The Russell Group isn't all its amde out to be (its research based so more important for Postgrads, and theres the 1994 group which no one remembers about).
    BU sounds better to me... higher and has the work placements

ReputationRep:
    BCU- 10% 1st, 43% 2.1, 27% 2.2, 4% 3rd, 18% fail to finish
    Liverpool- 10% 1st, 65% 2.1, 25% 2.2

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, even though Liverpool is a good uni, I just don't think there's enough in it - personally - for you to pick it over BCU when it's superior for your course and you think you will prefer there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the better course. You are more likely to get a better grade and even people who so degrees at colleges get post grad jobs if they work hard enough so I wouldnt worry too much about career prospects.

You only live one why not have as much fun as you can

ReputationRep:
    Statistics mean very little to the person. OP can decide weather they get a 1st or a 2:1, everyone can.
    Its about how hard you work not what uni you go to.

ReputationRep:
    Not for the degree your doing unless you want to be a teacher or do something really academic after wards.

If you want to work in the media, like at the bbc or a music company, then you degree class and the uni you got it from is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice. I think it's clear to know in myself that a RG isn't everything, I've been there done that and if it was I wouldn't even be thinking about BCU. I just think BCU is more of a media-related degree whereas UOL is more of a communication/english one.

(Original post by anon2010)
    Not for the degree your doing unless you want to be a teacher or do something really academic after wards.
    There is a high chance that I want to go into teaching, as a GCSE/further education so would the university I go to matter then?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.