Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Good course or good uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon2010)
    Statistics mean very little to the person. OP can decide weather they get a 1st or a 2:1, everyone can.
    Its about how hard you work not what uni you go to.
    I would disagree with that. When there is a general trend that more students are getting a 1st/2.1, that could be indicative of the fact that the teaching standards/level of feedback/support are better at a university....hence more students are getting top degree classifications. Work rate is important to an extent but provision is just as important imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    I would disagree with that. When there is a general trend that more students are getting a 1st/2.1, that could be indicative of the fact that the teaching standards/level of feedback/support are better at a university....hence more students are getting top degree classifications. Work rate is important to an extent but provision is just as important imo.
    I see what your saying however it could have a lot to do with the students too. Statistic only tell what the general trend is they dont consider the individual. Theoretically the OP could end up with a 1st of a 3rd from either uni. It is possible to get good marks and bad marks at both unis it just depends what he puts in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiekatina)

There is a high chance that I want to go into teaching, as a GCSE/further education so would the university I go to matter then?
    It could.
    Getting onto a PGCE would depend mostly on your experiences and your degree grade however if it came to the crunch and you and someone else has a very similar application a uni could choose the candidates in terms of what uni they went to.
    If your thinking about a PGCE you should ask this question in the postgrad teaching section of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    The course is more important than the university.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much guys I hope this makes the decision process easier!

ReputationRep:
    I rejected an offer for a course I no longer wanted to study at a really top university in order to study optometry at Anglia Ruskin; even though I knew I didn't want to study the original course and that the ARU course would get me where I wanted to be, it was a tough decision because I knew a substantial number of my family and friends would call me an idiot. Doing it turned into the best decision I've made, easily.

ReputationRep:
    I for one would choose Liverpool over BCU.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh like my mind is telling me mixed messages so are you. I am really not sure aaaaaaargh!
    So if I went to UOL would there be a bigger chance that i'll get a better, higher paid job than if I went to BCU?
    I just don't want to regret it!

ReputationRep:
    Have you been to look at them both? That might help you make up your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Have you been to look at them both? That might help you make up your mind.
    Yeah I have big difference in both...you can defiantly see where the money is.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.