Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone seen How I Met Your Mother? Season 3 Episode 11: The Platinum Rule

Don't ever, ever love your neighbour.

So yeah, I broke this rule and started going out with a girl from school. That's pretty normal by most people's standards at my age (17), but I got a little too attatched =/

We broke up a while back and made attempts at being regular friends, but the stuff that bugged me when we were going out kind of escalated in my head and I got angry and we a had a pretty big fight. Not a clever move I know, but I couldn't get around it. Needless to say, the past few weeks have been awkward: we share classes and the same group of friends. I figured as it's the holidays now I've got some time to sort this out. I'm still kind of angry at her and still kind of ridiculously in love with her, does anyone have any tips on how to act/move on etc?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Apologize.

ReputationRep:
    This thread isn't even worth thinking about. The answer is 288.

You 2'ers are stupid

i find the best thing 2do it, stay out of the way for a couple of days.

You no it's gonna **** u up seein her, so keep ur head down until u sort ur head out

i find the best thing 2do it stay out of the way for a couple of days

u no it's gonna **** u up seein her all the time, so keep ur head down until ur sorted out

ReputationRep:
    Haven't most people broken this 'rule'?

Ergo, it's a stupid rule.

Now ignoring the rule and focusing on your situation. Tell her you're sorry and that you hope you can work this out. Go.

ReputationRep:
    Stop living your life in accordance to fictional tv programmes, man up and get on with your life.

ReputationRep:
    I bet you would suck Justin Biebers ****, wouldn't you? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    That rule never made sense to me. You're obviously more likely to be attracted in a relationshippy way to the people you have more exposure to so how can you avoid your 'neighbours'. Obviously, people can date people at a distance from them, ie friend's acquantances or whatever but the more you are around someone, the more you get to know about them and the more chances you'll find out you like them in that way, right?

You probably psych yourself out thinking this is awkward and in turn it becomes so much more awkward than need be. Just tell yourself it isn't awkward and try and act normal as best possible.

The thing is it's a good rule. I have to see her everyday and it reminds me of what I had and don't anymore. While I agree people you know well often make great girlfriends/boyfriends etc, if things get too serious and then go wrong, people get hurt pretty badly.

She seems to have moved on, while I'm stuck here. I did apologise, it doesn't seem to have worked.

I'm basically asking how do I get over someone that I was/am in love with, without the option of not seeing her for very long? Once I'm over her, we can start things again and hopefully things will be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)
    This thread isn't even worth thinking about. The answer is 288.

You 2'ers are stupid
    hahaha

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't have apologised

anyway, the best thing to do is find a new girl, or occupy your time with your mates some other way.

in my experience, it's as awkward as you allow it to be.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.