Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey so we are currently studying the theme 'Foreignness and 'The Other'' in literature class at the moment and we have been asked to write an essay about it. Can you guys help me?

I need to define foreignness and the other.

Also just any other key points that would help me in my essay as I'm finding it one of the hardest essays to write.

Thankyou so much

ReputationRep:
    In 19th century English literature - Foreigness is anything that isn't English - in Jane Eyre specficially look at the colonial links through Rochester and his first wife. He made his money in the colonies and met his first wife - it is her brother that comes back from abroad to stop his marriage to Jane - so you need to look at what the text is saying about these foreign influences. Spivak is a significant critic on post-colonial readings of Jane Eyre.

The Other is used to represent anything that threatens 19th century English society. Foreigness can be used to represent the Other but so can things such as the New Woman etc. There is a lot of otherness in Jane Eyre - the doubling of Jane and Bertha for instance is a classic Gothic method of representing the Other. The Other is often associated with the Gothic but it can be applied much more widely than that to bring in anything that threatens the status quo. There is an enormous amount of critical material on The Other in 19th century literature generally and in Jane Eyre in particular so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something useful.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.