Turn on thread page Beta

Lord Robert Winston shot himself in the foot watch

ReputationRep:
    On question time he said at him music school students will have to be charged 9000 a year for their fees and after that they won't be able to pay it back because most of them will only earn 15-20K. What the heck is he moaning about then, hes just proved he talks complete and utter BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    he talks complete and utter BS.
    Well he is a Labour politician so that is hardly unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    He explained what there is to moan about pretty much just after that point.

This doesn't save the government anymore, in fact it will cost them more, and it places university institutions in precarious positions with regard to financing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    He explained what there is to moan about pretty much just after that point.

This doesn't save the government anymore, in fact it will cost them more, and it places university institutions in precarious positions with regard to financing
    Yer so effectively you've got your free education havent you. Because if you go to uni and move abroad your not going to pay it back which means your education will be free. So stop whining about it, everyone wins.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he was talking about the fact that the Government are losing out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    Swings and round abouts isnt it. Some people will pay it back and the government will get the money and some people won't so their education will be free. So really the government and the people win.

ReputationRep:
    I wish him a speedy recovery. Physician, heal thyself.

ReputationRep:
    Swings and round abouts isnt it. Some people will pay it back and the government will get the money and some people won't so their education will be free. So really the government and the people win.
    Not all people win. Two of the universities I got offers from are charging 9,000 next year and I feel for the people who will be paying AT LEAST 30,000's worth of debt back. What about doctors who do a 5? year course? Over 50,000's worth of debt at least without taking the loans etc into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Serves him right for flouting the hunting ban, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Not all people win. Two of the universities I got offers from are charging 9,000 next year and I feel for the people who will be paying AT LEAST 30,000's worth of debt back. What about doctors who do a 5? year course? Over 50,000's worth of debt at least without taking the loans etc into consideration.
    Well in america they have no cap on fees and more people go to uni over their then they do over here.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't shoot himself in the foot you misunderstood the point he is making. How can someone who earns say 15k per annum afford to pay back their loans of 27000 +. People have to pay rent, bills, buy food etc.

ReputationRep:
    Robert Winston is an idiot's Carl Sagan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Robert Winston is an idiot's Carl Sagan.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I find the Coalition's claim that the £9000 max fee will be the exception to be a bigger joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom*)
    He didn't shoot himself in the foot you misunderstood the point he is making. How can someone who earns say 15k per annum afford to pay back their loans of 27000 +. People have to pay rent, bills, buy food etc.
    they dont have to pay back their loans unless they earn 21K.

ReputationRep:
    We all know who is losing out here, and it aint the Government.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, in which case I misunderstood. I agree with tulley11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    We all know who is losing out here, and it aint the Government.
    I meant the Government losing out on the money, of course a lot of other students will pay back those hidious fees. When I read through my post it sounded like I'm agreeing with the Tories

ReputationRep:
    I meant the Government losing out on the money, of course a lot of other students will pay back those hidious fees. When I read through my post it sounded like I'm agreeing with the Tories
    Yeah the government is losing out on money which means the've given students what they want in free education.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the government is losing out on money which means the've given students what they want in free education.
    Such a stupid post. The 'free education' will also mean that a student will be in a job which is lower than the UK average. What is the point of a degree to achieve that?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.