The Student Room Group

CRB and Classroom Observation

I'm sorting out some classroom observation for PGCE applications and one of the schools that's got back to me has asked if I'm CRB checked.

Is this normal or needed?

Not sure what to do
Reply 1
It's absolutely necessary when working with children, as far as I know - I don't know why the other schools haven't asked about it.

If you are going into teaching you'll need one anyway, so I'd get an application form if I were you.
Reply 2
Well I wasn't CRB checked when observing as part of my interview a few weeks back... so I thought observation might be OK as you're supervised by staff?
Original post by Ice_Queen
It's absolutely necessary when working with children, as far as I know - I don't know why the other schools haven't asked about it.

If you are going into teaching you'll need one anyway, so I'd get an application form if I were you.

If you go into teaching you'll need a new one, cos the CRB only covers one activity at one location. I currently have 4 CRB's for what is essentially the same thing, but at different places.
Reply 4
You dont need one for observation, you're never left alone with the kids.
Original post by tigermoth99
I'm sorting out some classroom observation for PGCE applications and one of the schools that's got back to me has asked if I'm CRB checked.

Not sure what to do

It is up to the school. Most do not require this for observation but if you want to go to this particular school you will have to follow their procedures.
I have been asked for CRB's for observation from about 4 different schools now - they like to know their backs are covered. Usually if you have an old one knocking about you can show them that, otherwise its probably best to ask if they could help you go about getting one.
Reply 7
Original post by tigermoth99

Not sure what to do

Normally if you're under 18 and only observing then you don't require a CRB unless the school specifically requires it.

As you're applying for a PGCE you must be over 18, in which case yes I'm not really surprised they've asked you for one, it's normal around here anyway. :smile:

You could just point out to them that you're only observing and that you don't wish to be left alone with the children at any one time, see if that makes a difference.

xx
Reply 8
Original post by Becca-Sarah
If you go into teaching you'll need a new one, cos the CRB only covers one activity at one location. I currently have 4 CRB's for what is essentially the same thing, but at different places.

Agh! The price on them has gone up to £44 as well, that must cost a bomb.
Original post by chidona
Agh! The price on them has gone up to £44 as well, that must cost a bomb.

I've only ever had to pay for my uni one. My employer paid for the one I needed for my job, and the rest were voluntary posts.
Um not every school will ask for one. I went to 2 schools for observation, neither bothered to ask me for one.

Well I had one for uni and told them so, but neither asked to see it.
Reply 11
I think that technically you don't need one if you aren't going to be left unsupervised with children, which you won't be on observations, but a lot of schools like to cover themselves.
Reply 12
Original post by *River
I think that technically you don't need one if you aren't going to be left unsupervised with children, which you won't be on observations, but a lot of schools like to cover themselves.

Thanks. That's helpful. The school that asked if I had one used CRB's as a filter. The head's PA said that they get '6 enquiries a day' for observation and selected applicants from those which had a CRB. Even then, it was not guaranteed that you could come and observe lessons.
Hello..

You DO NOT need a CRB just to do classroom observations - I observed at 4 schools for my pgce application this year and non of them required a CRB.

I have now got a place on a PGCE at Keele, and as part of the course intro pack we have been given a letter from the head of the PGCE that we are to give to schools of we do any further observations in preparation for the course - This letter basically says "So and So will be a doing a PGCE next year. Please let them do some classroom observations. They do not need a CRB as they will only be observing the lessons".

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending