Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I have a syrian hamster called Pig who is just over a year old, and I have just discovered that he somehow can open his cage door and escape :eek: Can anybody answer my questions?

1. How can I catch him now that he has escaped?

2. What can I do to prevent him opening his cage in the future?

Penguin x

ReputationRep:
    Do you know where he is? If not leave favourite food items around the area where you think he might be, and just be ready and waiting to pounce (not literally lol) and to the cage question, yeah mine used to do that too :/ i used a clip to shut the door to the wire. Goood luck

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you leave your doors front and back to the house shut until he/she is found

ReputationRep:
    put his house or a little cardboard box in the corner of the room with some bedding in, usually you'll wake up to find the rascal sleeping in there haha

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! (: I'll see whether he comes back! He's definately in my bedroom, and he's chewed the corner of my carpet! -.- I just hope he's not hurt himself, because he dropped quite a way from his cage!

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem quite a few times. He will turn up eventually, don't worry. Just leave some hamster food lying around the house and listen out for when he comes. What I did to 'recapture' mine whenever he escaped, was to get like a plastic cup or bowl, put some hamster food in it and let him go in there and then simply lift him back to his cell

ReputationRep:
    Has he turned up yet?

If not, you need to be in your room in the evening/night and lie on your floor, dead quiet, and listen for him! We had quite a few escapees and they got into my bed (I had one of those box beds with drawers and they chewed their way into the box of the bed, scrabbled around so I knew where they were.

Chances are by now he may have gotten out of your room. So do the above in different rooms until he turns up somewhere!

Cable ties will be probably the only way of keeping him in. The thicker the better so he can't chew through them/you'll notice well before he gets out. It's not ideal for you opening the door to get him out, but it'll stop this happening again!

I hope he turns up safe and sound!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.