Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather have a first or a grad scheme? watch

• View Poll Results: First and no grad scheme OR 2:1 and a grad scheme
    First and no grad scheme
    31.11%
    2:1 and a grad scheme
    68.89%

ReputationRep:
    A first but no graduate scheme OR a 2:1 with a graduate scheme lined up for the summer.

I'm talking about Russell Group universities and competitive grad schemes (e.g. law, IB, accountancy, etc).

I would prefer the 2:1 with a grad scheme lined up as I am not really sure about the benefits of a first (apart from bragging rights!)

ReputationRep:
    2:1 and a grad scheme OBVIOUSLY!

ReputationRep:
    What good is a first if it doesn't get you a grad scheme?!

2:1 with grad scheme any day!

ReputationRep:
    Could the people who voted for a first please explain why? I am just interested that is all. A few of my friends said the same as well.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I voted for a first and no graduate scheme. A job is just a job. Obviously this rather depends on your priorities -- I went to uni because I enjoyed studying, not because I wanted to improve my career prospects. But I can see that many would prefer the 2.1 and the grad scheme; I hope you guys will be willing to buy a copy of the Big Issue off me in twenty years' time

ReputationRep:
    A first opens way more doors and could be used as leverage for higher pay as well. A grad job is great for your CV as well, but doesn't necessarily make you stand out from the crowd to the same degree as a first class w/ honours does.

ReputationRep:
    A 2.1 and a grad scheme probably, so long as it was actually a relevant grad scheme.

Otherwise, probably a First so that I could (hopefully) find it easier either to get into research, or work up from the bottom in a job that is relevant to my interests.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This depends. If I wanted to do post-grad then obviously I would want the first and no scheme.

ReputationRep:
    I would take the first and apply later.

ReputationRep:
    At the minute I don't really know what I want to do, so having a grad scheme lined up would mean that I would't be able to explore different options and decide what I wanted to do because I'd be on something already.

Whereas, if I get a first,l I can go and try out a range of jobs and chances are I'll get on a grad scheme or get a grad job when I've decided what I want to do, not only because I'll have a first, but I'll have some experience of different jobs, the world etc.

ReputationRep:
    Grad scheme, more likely for a job.

+ a 2.1 is still good! It's not like a 3rd.

ReputationRep:
    First and no grad scheme.. because i don't want to do a grad scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    First and no grad scheme.. because i don't want to do a grad scheme.
    ha, fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose, the first... Probably more likely to get a higher paid job in the long term than if you got a 2:1 with some work experience.

Work hard now, reap benefits later. Do a half arsed job now, watch your mates who worked hard buy a BMW at 23.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.