Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the purpose of the "Mark as unread" option on all messaging facilities. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering why the button exists. My phone hasn't been working for a few days so I was borrowing my brother's phone right now and suddenly a message pops up. Without thinking, I opened it before I realised it wasn't my phone so the message wasn't for me. Went to options and 'Mark as unread'.. and sorted lol

This option is everywhere i.e, emails, texting, facebook so just wondering was it just made for when you accidently or unaccidently read other people's messages or is there a more of a purpose to it?

ReputationRep:
    So when I read my bosses personal emails he won't be able to tell this ever happened.

ReputationRep:
    I mark things as unread sometimes or I'll forget that I've got them :o:

ReputationRep:
    I do it if there's something that I've read, and need to remember something on it, but know I'll more than likely forget about it. So I mark it as unread.

Also for snooping then making sure no-one notices.

ReputationRep:
    If you've clicked on an email but not read it properly. Then you remember to read it properly next time if it still appears as unread.

ReputationRep:
    I do this when I have yet to reply to something but will forget to do so if it just shows as read. Otherwise it'll take me weeks to remember to reply to an email and I only realise when that person is glaring at me from behind their book in the corner of the library knowing that I'm currently checking my emails :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    So glad I'm not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    I use it for when I get an email that needs a response but I have read it during a time/place where I am unable to respond. Stops me from forgetting that I received it.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's for snooping through other people mailboxes (or at least that's what I use it for). :ninja:

As for marking messages I should reply to or follow up... isn't that what the 'flag message' option is for?

ReputationRep:
    So it makes you seem really popular when someone looks over your shoulder at your phone?

I always thought it was designed for when reading someone elses mail.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I use it all the time. When I read an important e-mail that has important information on that really shouldn't be forgotten - like the date of a job interview - and I can't be arsed to go and put it on the calendar I'll mark it as unread so I read it the next day. Easy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.