Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Shariah Law in UK watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Then be prepared to move out. Sharia Law may be up for consideration if it is effective enough, or if the present secular laws no longer serve their purpose.
    And until the majority of this country is Muslim this will not happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    And until the majority of this country is Muslim this will not happen.
    There is time yet. We could (and should) be pragmatic and adopt parts of Sharia Law into Common Law. There is only one thing that is preventing this from happening too soon, and that is the appeasement of the nay sayers and the plebs.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There is time yet. We could (and should) be pragmatic and adopt parts of Sharia Law into Common Law. There is only one thing that is preventing this from happening too soon, and that is the appeasement of the nay sayers and the plebs.
    Like what? If you want to settle a dispute in a sharia court then feel free. Are you a Muslim btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 33kerryhouse)
    So what do you think, Is Islam just about five Prayers a day and all that stuff.
    Should Islam not have a say in Politics. And are Muslims who believe it should, 'Islamists'

There term Islamist is just another term used to divide Muslims and confuse those who aren't. In all honesty, and this is now a cliche; Islam is not just a religion, it's a way of life. Praying five prayers a day, growing a beard or wearing the hijab are all manifestations of these laws.

What people assume Shariah Law means is basic judiciary Law and that is what they fear but how can it be implemented in the UK when it's not in majority Muslim countries?

(Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Gladly. I spent 10 years living in a Muslim country abiding by their laws, I won't do it again.
    Seriously? :facepalm2:

There is not a single country that rules by Shariah Law, Saudi Arabia which comes close enforces the rules which benefit the King and ignore those that don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    There term Islamist is just another term used to divide Muslims and confuse those who aren't. In all honesty, and this is now a cliche; Islam is not just a religion, it's a way of life. Praying five prayers a day, growing a beard or wearing the hijab are all manifestations of these laws.

What people assume Shariah Law means is basic judiciary Law and that is what they fear but how can it be implemented in the UK when it's not in majority Muslim countries?

There is not a single country that rules by Shariah Law, Saudi Arabia which comes close enforces the rules which benefit the King and ignore those that don't.
    I was hoping someone would mention that! it's not even majority in the Muslim countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Like what? If you want to settle a dispute in a sharia court then feel free. Are you a Muslim btw?
    Isn't common English Law based on Shariah Law alongside many other jurisprudential schools? I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere, can't find it though :beard:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Isn't common English Law based on Shariah Law alongside many other jurisprudential schools? I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere, can't find it though :beard:
    Not a clue only know the very basics of ether tbh.

ReputationRep:
    How bloody soft is this country. Our legal system has it's problems but it gets the job done and we're all happy to live with it, what happened to don't fix what isn't broken?

I'm sure I don't know half as much about the entire issue as some of you do, but from a common sense perspective, isn't the idea completely ridiculous? If a million English people moved over to a Muslim country and started demanding that they change their legal system to suit us, do you think they'd even give it a second thought? Would they balls, because they're proud of what they currently have and don't see a problem with it. Why do we even think about bending over?

If I were in charge, it'd be a clear cut case of deal with it, this country has been just fine with it's current system for donkeys years and if you don't like it you're free to get stuffed, go preach elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Not a clue only know the very basics of ether tbh.
    Found it:

Several fundamental common law instutitions [sic] may have been adapted from similar legal instututions [sic] in Islamic law and jurisprudence, and introduced to England after the Norman conquest of England by the Normans, who conquered and inherited the Islamic legal administration of the Emirate of Sicily, and also by Crusaders during the Crusades. In particular, the “royal English contract protected by the action of debt is identified with the Islamic Aqd, the English assize of novel disseisin is identified with the Islamic Istihqaq, and the English jury is identified with the Islamic Lafif.”[14] The English trust and agency institutions in common law were possible [sic] adapted from the Islamic Waqf and Hawala institutions respectively during the Crusades.[16][17] It is worth noting, however, that transferring property to another for the “use” of another developed largely in response to the requirements of feudal inheritance law. Trust law, in particular, is a creature of equity which derived from the parallel jurisdiction of the Lord Chancellor to decide matters independently to the Royal Courts.

Other English legal institutions such as “the scholastic method, the license to teach,” the “law schools known as Inns of Court in England and Madrasas in Islam” and the “European commenda” (Islamic Qirad) may have also originated from Islamic law.[14] The methodology of legal precedent and reasoning by analogy (Qiyas) are also similar in both the Islamic and common law systems.[18] These similarities and influences have led some scholars to suggest that Islamic law may have laid the foundations for “the common law as an integrated whole”.[14]
    Spoiler:
    Show

[14] Makdisi, John A. (June 1999), “The Islamic Origins of the Common Law”, North Carolina Law Review 77 (5): 1635-1739
    [16] Gaudiosi, Monica M. (April 1988), “The Influence of the Islamic Law of Waqf on the Development of the Trust in England: The Case of Merton College”, University of Pennsylvania Law Review 136 (4): 1231-1261
    [17] Badr, Gamal Moursi (Spring, 1978), “Islamic Law: Its Relation to Other Legal Systems”, The American Journal of Comparative Law 26 (2 — Proceedings of an International Conference on Comparative Law, Salt Lake City, Utah, February 24-25, 1977): 187-198 [196-8]
    [18] El-Gamal, Mahmoud A. (2006), Islamic Finance: Law, Economics, and Practice, Cambridge University Press, p. 16, ISBN 0521864143

It was removed by this Anti-Islam website. They do have a point with all the words, it is extremely vague but then again, isn't everything from those periods? It clearly has external sources from where this was quoted from and the part I bolded clearly explains what that entry is trying to establish.

This comment:

can we assume that this is deception?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
    Just epitomises that blog :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:

So would this proposed implementation in the UK be pure Shariah law, or will it be a similar interpretation to that generally used in many Muslim countries in the Middle East? I think we can safely assume it will be some sort of interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly confused as to why a 1300 year old Judicial system is being considered to be a better alternative to our modern system that has evolved for the same amount of time as the prior has existed. Besides, the power of sharia law is not in its quality, fairness or efficiency but the fact that it is infalliable should you follow islam. You cant argue with god. Being stuck in prison is bad but eternal damnation and missing out on paradise are the real clinchers. Its one of the reasons why it is so popular among Totalatarian regimes, 'let the peasants police themselves' i think is how it goes (and it works) and is then out of the way.

Trying to implement sharia law in a non-islamic country simply will not work. Sharia Law = Bad Law, Faith is what makes it work.

ReputationRep:
    So would this proposed implementation in the UK be pure Shariah law, or will it be a similar interpretation to that generally used in many Muslim countries in the Middle East? I think we can safely assume it will be some sort of interpretation.
    What Shariah Law is going to be implemented in the UK? Who even said this?
    How is 3.3% of the population going to somehow convince the rest of the country that the common law now used should be changed?

The current "courts" used by Muslims simply try to solve familial problems and if either party is unhappy with the outcome they could always go to a normal court. This is hardly judicial Shariah let alone the implementation of full shariah..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locutus)
    wooh yeah!!!!

Sharia law for England, Islam4 Uk etc etc

Car bombs left right and centre

something about mats

hail allah, god of the most conflicted religion ever

I wonder if we'll turn out like the Sunnis and Shias -kickinfg the cr8p out of each other in twenty years time

Bring it !!!!!!1
    turn out? you already get this here...its called catholics/protestants

ReputationRep:
    Lets all move to an Islamic country and ask for Christians law!!! Chop down a few mosques and build a few churches. See the problem?

ReputationRep:
    What Shariah Law is going to be implemented in the UK? Who even said this?
    How is 3.3% of the population going to somehow convince the rest of the country that the common law now used should be changed?

The current "courts" used by Muslims simply try to solve familial problems and if either party is unhappy with the outcome they could always go to a normal court. This is hardly judicial Shariah let alone the implementation of full shariah..
    I don't think we're on the same page. I'll just go back to studying, it's what's best.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we're on the same page. I'll just go back to studying, it's what's best.
    :rofl2:

Fair enough...

ReputationRep:
    Then be prepared to move out. Sharia Law may be up for consideration if it is effective enough, or if the present secular laws no longer serve their purpose.
    Are you a complete retard?

Why would ANY democratic society adopt such laws?

Seriously I think you have neurological issues, that need to be sorted out. Consult your doctor
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Found it:

Spoiler:
    Show

[14] Makdisi, John A. (June 1999), “The Islamic Origins of the Common Law”, North Carolina Law Review 77 (5): 1635-1739
    [16] Gaudiosi, Monica M. (April 1988), “The Influence of the Islamic Law of Waqf on the Development of the Trust in England: The Case of Merton College”, University of Pennsylvania Law Review 136 (4): 1231-1261
    [17] Badr, Gamal Moursi (Spring, 1978), “Islamic Law: Its Relation to Other Legal Systems”, The American Journal of Comparative Law 26 (2 — Proceedings of an International Conference on Comparative Law, Salt Lake City, Utah, February 24-25, 1977): 187-198 [196-8]
    [18] El-Gamal, Mahmoud A. (2006), Islamic Finance: Law, Economics, and Practice, Cambridge University Press, p. 16, ISBN 0521864143

It was removed by this Anti-Islam website. They do have a point with all the words, it is extremely vague but then again, isn't everything from those periods? It clearly has external sources from where this was quoted from and the part I bolded clearly explains what that entry is trying to establish.

This comment:

Just epitomises that blog :facepalm2:
    That website is cringe worthy. "Allah is dead and Islam is not a religion "

Thanks for showing me the bit about Islamic and English common law its very interesting

ReputationRep:
    My view is that Muslims should be able to abide by Sharia law, therefore negating the need for enforcement of its punishments if people don't want them.

ReputationRep:
    The law can be ammended and even scrapped. Is Sharia Law better than what we have got? Better as in effective or less or more moral?

It might not be moral but it could be effective, more effective than what we have. If it is more effective we should welcome Sharia Law. You have to be pragmatic about it.
    You have to be on a wind up?

More effective? How can a dark aged legal system developed by a bunch of deluded goat herders in the Middle East be more effective than the current English legal system?

Madness!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.