Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes, like three Asian people live on my street! Am I going to have to be Shariah now? I don't want to get stoned!!!!!11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    You think that Britain should allow people to be stoned to death within its borders?

****ing hell.
    Err, that would violate other laws, (assisted suicide is illegal) which have precedence. I'm not sure how many people would volunteer to be stoned either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    This is a democractic country and any 'laws' which allow people to be killed by rocks being thrown at them is not welcome in this country.
    What kind of weirdos neg repped this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    Muslim 'weirdos' who like to kiss dirt.

ReputationRep:
    Just one of the reasons i keep an escape fund :P
    in event of terrorism, adopting islam laws, pregnancy scares, ed milliband becoming PM or other catatastrophies im ready to move country

ReputationRep:
    Having Sharia law in the UK would be like stepping back in time about 500 years. It has no place in the free world. These people here who want Sharia should go and move to one of the many Muslim countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agolati)
    Iran and Saudi Arabia - please don't call them run under the actual muslim system of sharia law, but rather their own evil dictatorship version of sharia law.
    I'm personally not too comfortable with the death penalties, but back in 7th century, they had NO government, or any jails.

I am suggesting that muslims should only be judged on the true sharia yes. Typically, there should thus be court systems based on the types of muslim you are, i.e shia, sunni etc.

Death penalties to the normal western mind have attached to it an extra shock factor because of the backwash created by the current political anti-islamic agenda. Jus sayin.

Muslims obviously follow the divine command theory approach to ethics whereby God is the one who sets what's right and wrong.

As long as secular law doesn't make us 'have' to compromise our basic values, then it's cool. I'm fine with secular law.
    Then what about laws that are modern and the quran wouldn't have any punishments for (such as I.D theft or Insider trading). Also it undermines the superiority of the common law system, one law for all......unless.

Another note, what would prevent someone claiming to be or not be a Muslim (i would guess the vast majority are loyal but you get underhanded characters from every faith, race, nationality).

Furthermore common law derives it authority from the state and precedents set forth in the past, would you simply whitewash that in favour of a system that potentially would have massive flaws.

Still it is unlikely to and frankly shouldn't happen in a country that is a secular democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    well, first off, you are assuming the majority disagree, the sentence is kind of illogical.

"This is a democractic country" and "is not welcome in this country" the law would have to be put in by a democratically elected government and passed through with a MP vote or whatever, so we could assume that that law was "welcome" in the fact that the elected representatives of the people welcomed it.

I didn't neg rep you btw.

ReputationRep:
    So much for one law for everyone...

If Shariah law was implemented for everyone in the UK, I would leave the country. Very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Any Muslim that thinks they can implement Sharia law in Britain is an idiot. This is not a Muslim country.

muslim btw.

ReputationRep:
    Sharia law is inseparable from Islam.

I don't know why morons miss the fact that Sharia law is NOT applied on non-Muslims. So before you soil your pants crying about it, try to think logically next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas...)
    I meant to add extremeist muslims. Sorry if it caused any offence.
    Just out of interest, how is Shariah Law viewed outside of Islam countires by the majority of normal muslims in the UK?
    I have heard a statistic that more than 1/2 of Muslims in the UK would support Sharia law

ReputationRep:
    we're not an Islamic state, nor will we ever be- we as a country generally resent Islam in all its forms.

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diety)
    I have heard a statistic that more than 1/2 of Muslims in the UK would support Sharia law
    Oh, that can't be true, hopefully.
    Also what are your views on Islam for UK organisations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    Having Sharia law in the UK would be like stepping back in time about 500 years. It has no place in the free world. These people here who want Sharia should go and move to one of the many Muslim countries.
    Amen to this.

(Original post by Diety)
    In all fairness, it would be interesting to know how the question was asked. For example if the question was "Do you support the implementation of Sharia Law in the UK?", 1/2 saying Yes would be shocking, however if the question was "Are you opposed to Sharia Law?", 1/2 isn't quite so unbelievable.

Basically you can manipulate poll results simply with the wording of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas...)
    Oh, that can't be true, hopefully.
    Also what are your views on Islam for UK organisations?
    What sort of question is that?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest Shariah Law should be the least of Britains worries. We should be far, far more concerned about the EU pushing for 'Corpus Juris' across the union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HedonisticMe)
    What sort of question is that?
    I'm sorry? I was having a conversation with Diety, please don't interfere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    The law is the law. It is entirely up to you if you must latch moral perspectives onto the law. Moral perspectives should not be allowed to subvert the efficiency and the effectiveness of the law.
    Laws are, gernerally, codified social norms and as far as I'm aware the norms entombed in Shariah law are not the norms of the variety of this country-this it wouldn't be more effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    A minority on the heavy rise - There's quite a few preachers/extremists followed who believe they should 'breed britain out'.
    Yeah, but they are not gonna rise to the level of people who oppose it, should it come to that. In this lifetime.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.