Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) When I open my window my door may open without human provacation. My door opens inwards. If my window is shut this NEVER happens. Why?

2) I filled a cup with water and there was a small cluster of bubbles on the top of the cup. I turned on the tap and the bubbles dispersed. After turning the tap off again almost instantly, the bubbles re-joined rather quickly. Why?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a physicist but I'm somewhat close. The door opening is to do with pressure change, if you open your window and the air is moving outside it's probably going to be a lower pressure of that inside the room, this sucks out air inside your room and sucks your door open to even the balance between your room and the rest of the house.

As with the bubbles, was the cup next to the flowing water of the tap? Like right next to? Did the water touch the outside of the cup?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for first bit

second bit: water ran into cup directly, then I turned off the tap and the bubbles rejoined (no overflow)

ReputationRep:
    ???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.