Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey,

I am a university student who misses being in a relationship (I am not desperate or needy, and I am not depressed, I am just the sort of person who likes affection and closeness) but I haven't got the confidence to get to know girls or ask them for a coffee or something. I have had a few girlfriends in the past, I have quite a few friends, and people tell me I am a charismatic and funny guy. I am average looking I would say, but have recentley put on a bit of weight (I am not fat, just slightly out of shape, even though people tell me they don't notice). I can be quite confident, especially when drunk and I have pulled quite a few girls since I've been at uni. I am not desperate for a relationship as I said, it would be nice for me to get this confidence back and just start getting to know someone if I like them. I always see girls as out of my league (even though I wouldve said that about my last few girlfriends) and this means I don't even have the confidence to send them a text of pop up on facebook chat. Can anybody give me any advice? I am aiming to lose a bit of weight but am struggling as I have a lack of willpower, and I just wish I had a bit of self-confidence.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I used to be really shy. I hated putting up my hand in class, I was so softly spoken, I hated doing speeches at school etc.

When I went to uni, I wanted to change. I didn't want to be shy anymore! I was sick of it! So, I decided to do the opposite of everything I'd normally do. I talked to people in lifts, I volunteered answers in class etc. It really helped. It was a bit scary, but it was fun too! In the end, there was nothing to be scared of.

Just give being confident a go. Just try it for one day. See how you go.

ReputationRep:
    you are fat and you expect a girl to go out with you? dont joke

ReputationRep:

I'm really sorry but I couldn't help myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

I am a university student who misses being in a relationship (I am not desperate or needy, and I am not depressed, I am just the sort of person who likes affection and closeness) but I haven't got the confidence to get to know girls or ask them for a coffee or something. I have had a few girlfriends in the past, I have quite a few friends, and people tell me I am a charismatic and funny guy. I am average looking I would say, but have recentley put on a bit of weight (I am not fat, just slightly out of shape, even though people tell me they don't notice). I can be quite confident, especially when drunk and I have pulled quite a few girls since I've been at uni. I am not desperate for a relationship as I said, it would be nice for me to get this confidence back and just start getting to know someone if I like them. I always see girls as out of my league (even though I wouldve said that about my last few girlfriends) and this means I don't even have the confidence to send them a text of pop up on facebook chat. Can anybody give me any advice? I am aiming to lose a bit of weight but am struggling as I have a lack of willpower, and I just wish I had a bit of self-confidence.

Thanks
    Obviously girls can't be out of your league if you've had girlfriends that you thought were out of your league.
    Maybe you are being too hard on yourself is there a girl you like at the moment at uni or work etc be friends, get to know her see how compatible you are together then see if it turns into a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Just give it a go giving them a text or whatever. You sound like a great guy, better to give it a try than just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    Just act, pretend to be a confident person. Often i feel i can have multiple personalities, in some situations i have loads of friends and am centre stage, in other, I'm very much on the periphery. Think how you are with your parents and close friends, I guess funny, talkative. Try and be that with class mates. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.