Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi all,
    I have been reading for a few weeks now and just wanted to see if anyone could help me with a few things??

Firstly, I have passed APT, interview, Med and PJFT and I am applying for Personnel Support. I passed my PJfT 3 weeks ago and my AFCO recruiter says that she doesn't know when she can get me on the PRTC.... this sounds quite worrying as it was all very speedy up until I passed PJFT, I'm worried that recent news that they're cutting so many jobs in RAF is putting a hold on recruitment?? i've just been told to keep my fitness up ready for it...

Very nervous about PRTC, after reading about Chefforraf's post when he failed his PRTC, along with like 10 others!!

Also, I keep reading the requirements over and over, I see that its for example 10 push ups for me (lady 23) and then says 50%RAFFT PASS.... I did 12 at my PJFT so I am happy with my ability, but does it mean that if I only did 5 for any reason that would still be a pass???

Also, need to start practising beep test, I have read many times that there is one to download off the RAF site... i can't find it, soes anyone know where I can pick one up??

Thanks for reading :-)

ReputationRep:
    I was nervous about bleep test but all id say is that i found it easier than the mile and a half run so i didnt find it harder in any way.

Also they are going to keep recruiting so there not really a stop to it although things may slow down.

as for the fitness tests they want you to do the full amount but as long as u do the 50% u pass so dont worry about it, i got the bleep test here:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/applic...essfeature.cfm

Craig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by For RAF)
    hi all,
    I have been reading for a few weeks now and just wanted to see if anyone could help me with a few things??

Firstly, I have passed APT, interview, Med and PJFT and I am applying for Personnel Support. I passed my PJfT 3 weeks ago and my AFCO recruiter says that she doesn't know when she can get me on the PRTC.... this sounds quite worrying as it was all very speedy up until I passed PJFT, I'm worried that recent news that they're cutting so many jobs in RAF is putting a hold on recruitment?? i've just been told to keep my fitness up ready for it...

Very nervous about PRTC, after reading about Chefforraf's post when he failed his PRTC, along with like 10 others!!

Also, I keep reading the requirements over and over, I see that its for example 10 push ups for me (lady 23) and then says 50%RAFFT PASS.... I did 12 at my PJFT so I am happy with my ability, but does it mean that if I only did 5 for any reason that would still be a pass???

Also, need to start practising beep test, I have read many times that there is one to download off the RAF site... i can't find it, soes anyone know where I can pick one up??

Thanks for reading :-)
    Don't worry about the length of time it takes, you have been lucky thus far it's definetly not that fast normally!!

If you passed your PJFT just improve on that when it says 50% of the RAFFT that is for serving members as a prospective recruit your expected to achieve at least 50% of what is expected of you once you finish Halton so you will improve alot whilst your there. If you were only capable to do 5 you would fail and would have to go through the application process again.

Bleep test is a ***** but I don't think the requirement for the RAF is that high.

Relax work on your fitness and be patient, you might be wishing you had more time to get fit when you get there :P

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about my mistakes, my case is special, I did the raf beeptest in my local park and passed, its just the way it worked on the day, the beep test is evil, but even though the RAF is all about teamwork, at this stage only worry about what u do, not anyone else. I shouldn't say it as I failed, but PRTC is quite easy, after you get past the fitness, enjoy it, take in as much information as you can, plus try to get to know everyone you can, they are the guys you will probably be training with, start bonding early, I can't say any more about it,

At the stage you at, its unlikely they will stop your application, they've paid for you to have ax personal trainer for your pjft, and they have paid a doctor to see you, I read that else where, I happen to agree, especially with tax cuts, they won't waist anymore money like that

Kelvin

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

thanks for all your comments, you have put my mind at rest a little.

the fitness is so important, I find it hard to get motivated sometimes when I haven't a date (for RTC) to aim for!!! If I knew it was 4 weeks away etc I would be raring lol! I have done my run today anyhow and will keep it up as I could get a date soon, and I would be very dissapointed if I failed due to not being fit enough.

I'm glad that Che for RAF told us the reason for not passing, it will help others to not make that mistake and I wish you every luck next time.

Thanks for the link for the bleep test too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chef-for-raf)
    #
    At the stage you at, its unlikely they will stop your application, they've paid for you to have ax personal trainer for your pjft, and they have paid a doctor to see you, I read that else where, I happen to agree, especially with tax cuts, they won't waist anymore money like that

Kelvin
    Wrong, they can close your trade at any time even OASC I have had friends waiting on PRTC and had their trade closed, don't get complacent.

You really shouldn't need help getting motivated you definetly need to get up and stay active otherwise if you get 4 weeks before it thats not exactly alot of time to train if you have slacked in the months beforehand

ReputationRep:
    the fitness is so important, I find it hard to get motivated sometimes when I haven't a date (for RTC) to aim for!!! If I knew it was 4 weeks away etc I would be raring lol! I have done my run today anyhow and will keep it up as I could get a date soon, and I would be very dissapointed if I failed due to not being fit enough.
    I've very very recently dont prtc so any q's feel free to pm me My application was really fast but I also found myself waiting on dates. I waited about 4 weeks to get them and the had about 3 weeks until the day!

The bleep test is evil. I stressed about it no end! I tried it a few times in my local park and couldn't get the 7.2, I guess i just couldn't get my head in the right place. My run time was good and I felt capable but just couldn't do it. Did it on the day easy though

One piece of advice, don't listen to people. I said to some of the others that i was worried and that I'd never gotten 7.2 standard, and a lot of people bragged about how ace they were! I got told by one person that they found it easy to get to level 9, and they dropped out at 5.8... people will talk a lot of crap about the million push ups they can do and then the pti's will tell them they are bad form and not going low enough etc. Just do your best, form over speed and 120% effort. You need 5 push ups as a lady but they will push you to get full RAFFT standard then stop you at 10.

But yeah, running the 1.5 mile every now and then might not be enough to get through the MSFT, i did some sprint work and hill runs to help hope your dates come through soon!

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take you to get from sending in your application to having your APT/ interview?
    According to the website females have to do 2 weeks of PT before starting basic training anyways so im sure you will have plenty of time to work on increasing your press ups and run time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaoi)
    I've very very recently dont prtc so any q's feel free to pm me My application was really fast but I also found myself waiting on dates. I waited about 4 weeks to get them and the had about 3 weeks until the day!

The bleep test is evil. I stressed about it no end! I tried it a few times in my local park and couldn't get the 7.2, I guess i just couldn't get my head in the right place. My run time was good and I felt capable but just couldn't do it. Did it on the day easy though

One piece of advice, don't listen to people. I said to some of the others that i was worried and that I'd never gotten 7.2 standard, and a lot of people bragged about how ace they were! I got told by one person that they found it easy to get to level 9, and they dropped out at 5.8... people will talk a lot of crap about the million push ups they can do and then the pti's will tell them they are bad form and not going low enough etc. Just do your best, form over speed and 120% effort. You need 5 push ups as a lady but they will push you to get full RAFFT standard then stop you at 10.

But yeah, running the 1.5 mile every now and then might not be enough to get through the MSFT, i did some sprint work and hill runs to help hope your dates come through soon!

Thanks, well done for passing!!
    It's good to speak to someone who has just been there!! I have downloaded the bleep test and have a 20 metre run marked out up my lane to get me ready for that.
    So have you been given your dates for recruit training now??
    Shame about the people that talk crap lol, they make you feel bloody crap and then they can't make the grade themselves, everyone should just concentrate on their own form!
    Do you have your boots now too??
    I am really excited about going, just really really want my date now :-)
    Any other tips??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, well done for passing!!
    It's good to speak to someone who has just been there!! I have downloaded the bleep test and have a 20 metre run marked out up my lane to get me ready for that.
    So have you been given your dates for recruit training now??
    Shame about the people that talk crap lol, they make you feel bloody crap and then they can't make the grade themselves, everyone should just concentrate on their own form!
    Do you have your boots now too??
    I am really excited about going, just really really want my date now :-)
    Any other tips??
    Thanks Yeah I have my start date and my boots, just the final interview to go now and I'm already swatting for that. The boots are cool though, you really start to feel part of something once you've got them, it makes the whole thing a bit more real.

Seriously though just try and stay motivated as you wait and keep with the fitness, I now it's hard but when you get your prtc dates you'll start thinking 'Have I done enough? Eeek'. With the MSTF don't get too hung up on it. Like I said, I'd never gotten to the standard before, anywhere near really, but you'd be suprised what pacing with other people and a bit of adrenaline will do for you on the day. But happy days if you can ace it now

Best tips I can give you for when you get there would be A: Don't listen to other peoples tales of how wonderfully fit they are, it will make you nervous and most of it's rubish B: The gym is HOT, it was gloriously sunny when I was there and the gym was like a furnace. They say take a small water bottle but I would take one of those fat evian ones that holds a litre, you'll need it. C:Listen to what the instructors say, it sounds silly but you would be amazed how many people can't follow basic instructions and get blasted for it. D: Take a few snacks, some lucozade tablets, a sports drink and maybe an energy bar or something. When we moved to the gym I got changed and necked a bottle of powerade to get some sugars in, you'll need it. E: Enjoy it! It's actually a really good couple of days, a good insight and loads of fun. Youll relax once the fitness test is out of the way. Makes some friends, chances are people on your prtc will be on the same intake so take some names and keep in touch cause you'll be living with them for 11 weeks.

I bet you'll get your dates soon though, any more q's feel fre to ask, I'll try my best to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catface)
    How long did it take you to get from sending in your application to having your APT/ interview?
    According to the website females have to do 2 weeks of PT before starting basic training anyways so im sure you will have plenty of time to work on increasing your press ups and run time!

I sent my app in on 04.01.11 and had my APT and interview within a month.

Yes, you're right, Initial Training is 9 weeks, however all female recruits (and some guys) have to go 2 weeks earlier for Pre-conditioning. I'm still waiting on the dates, I really want to ask my recruiter at the AFCO, but she told me only on thur that there were no dates yet for my RTC and I don't want to badger her!! Fingers crossed I hear soon!!

ReputationRep:
    the 2 weeks pre conditioning offended me a bit! Been training for it for a year (apart from a bit of time off with injury) and 2 weeks seems like a looong time to be doing nothing but PT!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    the 2 weeks pre conditioning offended me a bit! Been training for it for a year (apart from a bit of time off with injury) and 2 weeks seems like a looong time to be doing nothing but PT!
    The statistics show that women need this and it works - so you need to go along with the majority. You will get used to the idea of doing something for the good of the group rather than the good of the individual - the DI staff will ensure that!

Anyway - 2 weeks of paid PT? Sounds brilliant. People pay money to go to gyms in their spare time to get fit - you'll get paid for it as part of your job!

ReputationRep:
    HAHA, yeah I agree pro stacker, I would rather be paid and get fit than have to pay to do it and rely on my own motivation. I'm all game for the two weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I know im just saying that the recruitment process is long enough as it is, just want to get on with it!
    2 weeks pay for doing what I do every day anyway, thought we were in a recession lol

ReputationRep:
    For RAF - I wouldn't fret too much about the bleep test, its really not that difficult.

When I left the RAF after 12 years service (and occassional neglect) I was still beating the level required for 18 year olds (9.11 if memory serves me correct) easily.

ProStacker - In the land of Albert are you?

ReputationRep:
    HAHA, yeah I agree pro stacker, I would rather be paid and get fit than have to pay to do it and rely on my own motivation. I'm all game for the two weeks!
    I think I have the opposite attitude, get fit to join the forces, not join the forces to get fit!

ReputationRep:
    I think I have the opposite attitude, get fit to join the forces, not join the forces to get fit!
    Agreed, I am not just walking into the RAF without having put any effort in either. But two weeks of extra training and a wage too is not something I would turn down - we're all in the recession :-)

How far are you with your app catface?? What you going in for?

ReputationRep:
    Theres fit and theres forces fit lol I know many people who have thought they were fit untill they start basic training, the more prepared you can be for it before hand the less tired you will be when you start doing it for real, leaving more time for admin and more able to listen and focus in lessons etc

Im currently working on my bleep test as ive only done it once and it was a bit poor (8.3) so I do that 2 times a week, I go to the gym 3 times a week to work on strength, upper body 1 day, core/back another, legs another (its a free gym), I do my 1.5 mile run on the road twice a week, longer distance runs (3-10 miles) 2/3 times a week and cycle everywhere, some weeks ill go mountain biking, swimming or hiking with a weighted backpack instead of a long run so my body doesnt get used to doing the same thing.
    I keep an eye on my diet to make sure i have enough carbs and protein to fuel my exercise and recovery and schedule in rest days as appropriate.

My role only opened last week so ive just applied (photographer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James1977)
    For RAF - I wouldn't fret too much about the bleep test, its really not that difficult.

When I left the RAF after 12 years service (and occassional neglect) I was still beating the level required for 18 year olds (9.11 if memory serves me correct) easily.

ProStacker - In the land of Albert are you?
    Thanks James, I feel quite confident about my ability at the mo, just need to maintain/improve between now and RTC and avoid any injuries! Seems like 12 years in the RAF and yo kept quite fit then!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.