Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catface)
    Theres fit and theres forces fit lol I know many people who have thought they were fit untill they start basic training, the more prepared you can be for it before hand the less tired you will be when you start doing it for real, leaving more time for admin and more able to listen and focus in lessons etc

Im currently working on my bleep test as ive only done it once and it was a bit poor (8.3) so I do that 2 times a week, I go to the gym 3 times a week to work on strength, upper body 1 day, core/back another, legs another (its a free gym), I do my 1.5 mile run on the road twice a week, longer distance runs (3-10 miles) 2/3 times a week and cycle everywhere, some weeks ill go mountain biking, swimming or hiking with a weighted backpack instead of a long run so my body doesnt get used to doing the same thing.
    I keep an eye on my diet to make sure i have enough carbs and protein to fuel my exercise and recovery and schedule in rest days as appropriate.

My role only opened last week so ive just applied (photographer)
    Well done catface, seems like your doing loads of prep and you do have a good attitude towards it if you have been training way before you could even apply. You say you are getting 8.3 now on bleep...what's YOUR requirement?? I.e mine is 7.2 as im a 23 F. Well done for adding your rest days too - you don't want to overdo it.

ReputationRep:
    7.2 as im 23 next month and female lol

my 1.5 miler is 9 mins 55, my press ups 35, sit ups 38. I want to get them both to 40 before i do any fitness tests and my bleep test to 10 or as near as i can.

ReputationRep:
    is it me....... (which it probably is) or are the standards for PRTC not on their website??? I just had a moment of panic and couldn't remember exactly how many sit ups it was!! For me it's 7.2 on the beep, 10 press ups and 32/33 sit ups? can someone just jog my memory!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    7.2 as im 23 next month and female lol

my 1.5 miler is 9 mins 55, my press ups 35, sit ups 38. I want to get them both to 40 before i do any fitness tests and my bleep test to 10 or as near as i can.
    That an ace ammount of push ups, tips very much appreciated I'm ok with normal ones, I can bang out quite a few but the strict military style ones really hammer home how weak my triceps are. That said I'm not a skinny girl, I'm quite stocky really and I have to push up a bit more weight... how long did it take you to get to that level? Hope you dont mind me asking!

To be honest though when you get to prtc they will stop you at the RAFFT standards and even if you try and tell them you did a gazillion more they really aren't interested. I don't think it's max effort till RTS. One of the things I think i'm going to struggle most with I think is the 'im fitter than you' attitude that loads of people had on prtc. I just want to get my head down, put in 110% and make sure I do everything to help me and the rest of my flight get through RTS quickly and smoothly. Best of luck with the app catface, I think youll ace it

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 'normal' ones?
    I just practice them whenever I get a free bit of time at home ill do 20 or so in an advertisement break of the programme im watching...I also do tricep dips on the garden bench and general upper body work with kettlebells and dumbells at the gym.

When I first started training my 1.5 miler was 13+ mins, press ups about 15, im not a natural athlete its all just practice practice practice, after a while I started to enjoy it more and found people to run/gym with and it gets easier the more you do it!

ReputationRep:
    I think you will be more than fine catface, you are well above the required standards.

Hey Aaoi - I have/had the same trouble - I'm not a "skinny" girl either, so I have to do extra training on my muscles in my arms to push me up lol! I was 12st exactly when I started training properly 3 months ago and I am now a leaner 11st 2lb, so defo less weight to push! I have also dropped a dress size which is nice! I stil feel a little bit podgy though, and would love to get down to around 10st 6lb which would be a sensible weight.

ReputationRep:
    Catface - sorry by normal ones i just mean normal hand spacing, how it feels most comfortable, rather than hand directly under shoulders.
    (Original post by For RAF)
    Hey Aaoi - I have/had the same trouble - I'm not a "skinny" girl either, so I have to do extra training on my muscles in my arms to push me up lol! I was 12st exactly when I started training properly 3 months ago and I am now a leaner 11st 2lb, so defo less weight to push! I have also dropped a dress size which is nice! I stil feel a little bit podgy though, and would love to get down to around 10st 6lb which would be a sensible weight.
    I'm the same! Was 12st 4lb when I started my app :eek: got down to 11st 8 to pass the bmi check and am now a happy 11st and aiming to loose about another half or so before I get to RTS. I must admit, shedding some pounds does wonders for run times and push ups! It's taken a real life adjustment to get this far and I'm well happy with my fitness. I know I wont be the fittest there by far but I still have a good few weeks to work at it and its improving every day

quite a way off from 30+ push ups though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaoi)
    Catface - sorry by normal ones i just mean normal hand spacing, how it feels most comfortable, rather than hand directly under shoulders.

I'm the same! Was 12st 4lb when I started my app :eek: got down to 11st 8 to pass the bmi check and am now a happy 11st and aiming to loose about another half or so before I get to RTS. I must admit, shedding some pounds does wonders for run times and push ups! It's taken a real life adjustment to get this far and I'm well happy with my fitness. I know I wont be the fittest there by far but I still have a good few weeks to work at it and its improving every day

quite a way off from 30+ push ups though!
    Well done - and you exactly right about it decreasing your run times, my first attempt at 1.5m was well over 18 mins!!!! Did it in 13 mins at PJFT, and my press ups are coming along nicely too - i'm not near that 30 mark though!! im at around 12. When you did PRTC what were your results?? When's you intake??

ReputationRep:
    Well done - and you exactly right about it decreasing your run times, my first attempt at 1.5m was well over 18 mins!!!! Did it in 13 mins at PJFT, and my press ups are coming along nicely too - i'm not near that 30 mark though!! im at around 12. When you did PRTC what were your results?? When's you intake??
    Well done to you too! You sound about the same level as me fitness wise. The best run time for me has been 12.37 but at the pjft I did it in 13.08 I think. Push ups are also coming along nicely, I can do about 15 now but am hoping to crank that up before rts

At prtc they wont let you go over the full RAFFT standards, so I got 7.02 on the MSFT, 10 push ups and 32 sit ups. You only need to get 5 push ups and 16 sit ups to pass prtc but they encourage you do aim for the RAFFT then stop you when you get there. My potential intake is start of June, still have the final interview to go yet though!

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the RAF FITNESS STRATEGY guide - "Training 3 times per week, for approx 50 minutes per session, at a moderate to vigorous intensity should be efficient to enable you to reach the standards"

Im aiming to get 'deep blue' (highest) category on each aspect of the test, thats 30+ press ups, 52+ sit ups, 11.6 on the bleep test...so obviously ive still got some work to do! But I like to have goals!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it sounds like we are in the same boat with fitness!! i did my run in 13.07 to be exact so pretty similar, that was my personal best! it's nice to hear from someone who is in the same boat. I know what you mean with having to change your lifestyle, especially when it comes to food. I am very much a lover of food!! lol, and my weight showed it, so it's trying to find healthier options and portion sizes which have been key for me! and then embedding it into the way you eat normally, i have been doing it since jan and have found it challenging, but rewarding when you see the results! You sound like you are doing great, just keep it up for you intake date :-)

ReputationRep:
    out of interest what do you 2 do for a job at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it sounds like we are in the same boat with fitness!! i did my run in 13.07 to be exact so pretty similar, that was my personal best! it's nice to hear from someone who is in the same boat. I know what you mean with having to change your lifestyle, especially when it comes to food. I am very much a lover of food!! lol, and my weight showed it, so it's trying to find healthier options and portion sizes which have been key for me! and then embedding it into the way you eat normally, i have been doing it since jan and have found it challenging, but rewarding when you see the results! You sound like you are doing great, just keep it up for you intake date :-)
    Pretty much the same here! But yeah, keep up the good work yourself. The raf really value commitment and determination and it's certainly taken bucket loads for me to get this far. Best of luck with the app and remember if i can do it, anyone can ill always love my food though....

Oh and catface I work full time nights as a wonderfully high skilled shelf stacker so finding exercise time is hell! I used to be a network administrator but got made redundant about a year ago and have been stuck doing nights since then why did you ask?

ReputationRep:
    Just curious is all, people keep telling me im wasting my education joining the forces lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaoi)
    Pretty much the same here! But yeah, keep up the good work yourself. The raf really value commitment and determination and it's certainly taken bucket loads for me to get this far. Best of luck with the app and remember if i can do it, anyone can ill always love my food though....

Oh and catface I work full time nights as a wonderfully high skilled shelf stacker so finding exercise time is hell! I used to be a network administrator but got made redundant about a year ago and have been stuck doing nights since then why did you ask?
    Always have respect for a fellow food lover lol!

ReputationRep:
    Just curious is all, people keep telling me im wasting my education joining the forces lol
    I got my degree, after a year of fumbling round managed to get a job in my field, then got made redundant and ended up working as a shelf filler... having an education doesnt mean anything nowadays! I see the raf as a real oppertunity and certainly not a waste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaoi)
    My potential intake is start of June, still have the final interview to go yet though!
    I'm on the 25th May intake, give me a shout if you get this date.

I've also got my final interview next week, I can't wait! I'm just working on my boots and pys untill my start date now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    The statistics show that women need this and it works - so you need to go along with the majority. You will get used to the idea of doing something for the good of the group rather than the good of the individual - the DI staff will ensure that!

Anyway - 2 weeks of paid PT? Sounds brilliant. People pay money to go to gyms in their spare time to get fit - you'll get paid for it as part of your job!
    So do we go early or stay on the course 2 weeks late?I asked a corporal at the AFCO and he said we would stay late rather than go early?I only ask because the guys on my PRTC also had the same dates as me for RTS and no one's said about starting 2 weeks early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nag1)
    So do we go early or stay on the course 2 weeks late?I asked a corporal at the AFCO and he said we would stay late rather than go early?I only ask because the guys on my PRTC also had the same dates as me for RTS and no one's said about starting 2 weeks early.

I was told on prtc that the start date we were given IS the start of the two weeks pre conditioning. Loads of the lads on prtc with us all had the same start date but they will start RTS on that date and we will join another flight when the preconditioning ends, if that makes sense? We were also told it's completely boring and pants but necessary none the less.

I'm not sure about the preconditiong myself to be honest, can we go home on weekends or do we not get to go home for 5 weeks? I should have asked that question but didn't even think about it at the time!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Pre-conditioning is before.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.