Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The thing with rappers and 'selling out'.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I dunno I'm just finding it a bit annoying when people just throw around the term about the rapper they've been following for years that's suddenly just spiked in fame and popularity and now everyone's singing their hit single, sure it's cool that you've been a fan for that long and this is all arguable

But just finally becoming mainstream and hugely famous doesn't always = selling out. Also I'd like to ask what people mean when they say selling out, I can see it as either selling out to the mainstream, changing content and style to suit the masses and alienating hardcore original fans or 'Selling out' symbolically selling their soul and individuality to the music industry itself (Insert illumanity, the devil and all that)

I mean it's great that a rapper or any artist even be at it for years, working hard, making mixtape after mixtape, freestyling like mad and being clearly really good but of course they'd all like to make it big, to be hugely rich and famous, 90% if not more of say all aspiring rappers want fame and riches, it's just a fact

And to get to that stage, it may need a slight change to style or content if they way of rapping or what they rap about doesn't really appeal to the 'masses' you could argue it's happened with..

Wiz Khalifa
    Chipmunk
    Tinie Tempah
    Dizzee Rascal
    Eminem (recently)
    Even Lupe Fiasco (or so some of my friends say)

Like I'm sure original fans of the rapper would be happy for them but it doesn't always mean they're 'selling out', they ve just made the bigtime, broken the mainstream and they're making it, it may be ironic that the same rapper may now start referencing 'haters' of their current success, fame, which may have been their original fans

I guess Wiz Khalifas the main current example of this, admittedly I haven't been listening to him for years but I've heard his name being thrown around for years, have some friends that have been listening for a while though - some people think he's sold out with 'Black and yellow' and especially 'Roll up' now... meh, his music has found a common ground with the mainstream

The guy has made it, his style and content may have changed a little but I don't think it's bad, from all the past songs I've listened to that he's done and anyway = he's not JUST rapping about weed all the time now (although he still does), not necessarily a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    Selling out is when you completely disregard all the music you used to make and change your sound completely to become 'mainstream'. This means you now appeal to all the little screaming girls and therefore earn more money. It pisses me off when I see some of those rappers old stuff- it is so amazing, but now they have completely changed. Its not hip-hop or grime or rap anymore- its become pop music. Which is why I mostly listen to underground artists

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter? An artist either makes music that you enjoy, or not. If you like their music, great. If not, nevermind. Who cares what their perceived 'popularity' is?

ReputationRep:
    I think J. Cole puts it perfect in this tune... :

We singing songs but we know that ain't true
    We know you gotta make the people pay you
    Cause either you play the game or watch the game play you
    And be that broke mother**cker talkin bout "I stay true"

ReputationRep:
    can't remember how to post youtube vids :lol:

Basically the songs they make that sell are crappy with little substance compared to the music they were making when they were less popular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Does it really matter? An artist either makes music that you enjoy, or not. If you like their music, great. If not, nevermind. Who cares what their perceived 'popularity' is?
    The original hardcore fans of said artist rapper care a lot, I guess it would suck to see your favourite rapper just like change in just a few months, style and content included

It's a debatable issue, I don't always think that being famous and successful = selling out though, Lupe Fiasco hasn't 'sold out' imo and is so well known n the rap scene

ReputationRep:
    I think some people get upset and start saying that their favourite artists are "selling out"/ bad mouthing them because suddenly they're in everyone else's itunes and it feels like they're cheating on you. Sniff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    The original hardcore fans of said artist rapper care a lot, I guess it would suck to see your favourite rapper just like change in just a few months, style and content included

It's a debatable issue, I don't always think that being famous and successful = selling out though, Lupe Fiasco hasn't 'sold out' imo and is so well known n the rap scene
    Lupe's new album has quite a few 'commercial' tunes, but I think thats the record labels doing and not his, although hes still got those deep hardcore controversial songs too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Selling out is when you completely disregard all the music you used to make and change your sound completely to become 'mainstream'. This means you now appeal to all the little screaming girls and therefore earn more money. It pisses me off when I see some of those rappers old stuff- it is so amazing, but now they have completely changed. Its not hip-hop or grime or rap anymore- its become pop music.
    Who are you referring too out of curiosity? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't just apply to rappers.

ReputationRep:
    For me, the person that's handled this the best is Jay-Z. "Like my old stuff, buy my old albums". His discography is so varied. His first 4 studio albums are so pure - pure hip hop. Then he went on a transition which worked perfectly (Black Album) then into a bit of a mainstream. And by mainstream he hasnt made stupid, forgettable songs like FLO rida or BEP - he's actually made song universally acclaimed music - but is smart enough to know what gets or does not get radio play and attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Who are you referring too out of curiosity? :holmes:
    Lots of guys. I was mainly talking about grime artists though- Dizzee, skepta, chipmunk (I actually used to like him when he started), Ndubz.
    I liked Eminem a few years ago but now all his new stuff seems a bit annoying (its just him shouting at the camera).

ReputationRep:
    black eyed peas are an example of a sellout for me :no:

they were good back in the day but now they've gone to this silly techno autotune pop crap with silly lyrics. Also they are so **** live (N)

ive been listening to eminem for years and im pretty happy with the music he has although wasn't a big fan of his last album relapse :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Well they can deal with it. There's no such thing as 'hardcore fan', just whiny babies who can't stomach the fact that other people like what they like, because it ruins their sense of 'originality'.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno I'm just finding it a bit annoying when people just throw around the term about the rapper they've been following for years that's suddenly just spiked in fame and popularity and now everyone's singing their hit single, sure it's cool that you've been a fan for that long and this is all arguable

But just finally becoming mainstream and hugely famous doesn't always = selling out. Also I'd like to ask what people mean when they say selling out, I can see it as either selling out to the mainstream, changing content and style to suit the masses and alienating hardcore original fans or 'Selling out' symbolically selling their soul and individuality to the music industry itself (Insert illumanity, the devil and all that)

I mean it's great that a rapper or any artist even be at it for years, working hard, making mixtape after mixtape, freestyling like mad and being clearly really good but of course they'd all like to make it big, to be hugely rich and famous, 90% if not more of say all aspiring rappers want fame and riches, it's just a fact

And to get to that stage, it may need a slight change to style or content if they way of rapping or what they rap about doesn't really appeal to the 'masses' you could argue it's happened with..

Wiz Khalifa
    Chipmunk
    Tinie Tempah
    Dizzee Rascal
    Eminem (recently)
    Even Lupe Fiasco (or so some of my friends say)

Like I'm sure original fans of the rapper would be happy for them but it doesn't always mean they're 'selling out', they ve just made the bigtime, broken the mainstream and they're making it, it may be ironic that the same rapper may now start referencing 'haters' of their current success, fame, which may have been their original fans

I guess Wiz Khalifas the main current example of this, admittedly I haven't been listening to him for years but I've heard his name being thrown around for years, have some friends that have been listening for a while though - some people think he's sold out with 'Black and yellow' and especially 'Roll up' now... meh, his music has found a common ground with the mainstream

The guy has made it, his style and content may have changed a little but I don't think it's bad, from all the past songs I've listened to that he's done and anyway = he's not JUST rapping about weed all the time now (although he still does), not necessarily a bad thing
    Sold out is when you change your style to work the masses, the biggest example of a sellout is Chipmunk.

Would not class Tinie Tempah as a sellout because he was no-one in the underground scene really.

Eminem has most definitly not sold out, why would he? He has no reason too, he's just matured and talks more about love and his past now, rather than just his alter-ego Slim Shady stuff.

Dizzee Rascal is a sellout but he justified it with a good reason, he said why should he rap about guns and shanks when that's not who he is anymore which makes sense. Most rappers haven't sold out...

Even Tinchy Stryder hasn't sold out, he still reps his grime collective (Ruff Sqwad) and makes grime mixtapes on the side. He constantly reps his roots too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)

they were good back in the day but now they've gone to this silly techno autotune pop crap with silly lyrics. Also they are so **** live (N)

ive been listening to eminem for years and im pretty happy with the music he has although wasn't a big fan of his last album relapse :nothing:
    Relapse was immense.

Classic Eminem just going mental and being slightly unhinged! It's what you want from him!

ReputationRep:
    The meaning "Sellout" to me is when an Artist changes their genre to attract more wider range of people to gain money and fame. There are two things that sellouts do that you can tell that they have changed:

1.They make mainstream music and change their style (Hip-Hop/RandB) without put out mixtapes of their old styles(Hip Hop). One example is Drake but I don't mind that.
    2.They don't hustle much as they did back in tha days. One example is Chipmunk.

ReputationRep:
    I swear I had that same thought not long ago. It really annoys me sometimes but I know that sometimes they say that to prove and remind their friends that they knew the rapper before anybody else did :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)

THIS. YES OH GOD YES.

I used to love BEP but now, I actually find myself hiding from the complete and utter crap that they release.
    It. is. so. awful.

WHY?

They are like a little kid that gets auto-tune device for christmas, and he uses it AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Someone needs to sit them down, and say 'look guys, its just not working'.

Where is the love, man

ReputationRep:
    I don't even like rap music but it happens everywhere, in all the genres.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.