Turn on thread page Beta

The thing with rappers and 'selling out'.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    THIS. YES OH GOD YES.

I used to love BEP but now, I actually find myself hiding from the complete and utter crap that they release.
    It. is. so. awful.

WHY?

They are like a little kid that gets auto-tune device for christmas, and he uses it AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Someone needs to sit them down, and say 'look guys, its just not working'.

Where is the love, man
    it's terrible i mean compare

with :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    it's terrible i mean compare

with :indiff:

:facepalm: I don't understand why they would change their sound so much.

I was listening to Elephunk the other day, its all amazing- so much win.

Now whenever they come on the radio I change station.

ReputationRep:

exactly :sadnod:

i thought that techno thing was just going to be for that 1 album but it looks like theyre going to carry on with it :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Ok one point: Chipmunk was always **** :fyi:

bar Who Are You?

ReputationRep:
    black eyed peas are an example of a sellout for me :no:

they were good back in the day but now they've gone to this silly techno autotune pop crap with silly lyrics. Also they are so **** live (N)

ive been listening to eminem for years and im pretty happy with the music he has although wasn't a big fan of his last album relapse :nothing:
    Last album was Recovery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Last album was Recovery.
    nah i was talking about the album before recovery, cba to edit it though lol

ReputationRep:
    nah i was talking about the album before recovery, cba to edit it though lol
    But Recovery wasn't an awful lot better IMO. It sounds like he's churning music out lately, he needs to just release a few big singles instead.

ReputationRep:
    But Recovery wasn't an awful lot better IMO. It sounds like he's churning music out lately, he needs to just release a few big singles instead.
    the only song i liked in the relapse album was 'beautiful' :no: ...but i get what you mean though with the whole relseasing 'big singles' out instead.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone still listen to chipmunk or dizzee? Wow hello 2006.

ReputationRep:
    How dare you. Eminem has NOT sold out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    How dare you. Eminem has NOT sold out.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    i dunno i'm just finding it a bit annoying when people just throw around the term about the rapper they've been following for years that's suddenly just spiked in fame and popularity and now everyone's singing their hit single, sure it's cool that you've been a fan for that long and this is all arguable

but just finally becoming mainstream and hugely famous doesn't always = selling out. Also i'd like to ask what people mean when they say selling out, i can see it as either selling out to the mainstream, changing content and style to suit the masses and alienating hardcore original fans or 'selling out' symbolically selling their soul and individuality to the music industry itself (insert illumanity, the devil and all that)

i mean it's great that a rapper or any artist even be at it for years, working hard, making mixtape after mixtape, freestyling like mad and being clearly really good but of course they'd all like to make it big, to be hugely rich and famous, 90% if not more of say all aspiring rappers want fame and riches, it's just a fact

and to get to that stage, it may need a slight change to style or content if they way of rapping or what they rap about doesn't really appeal to the 'masses' you could argue it's happened with..

wiz khalifa
    chipmunk
    tinie tempah
    dizzee rascal
    even lupe fiasco (or so some of my friends say)

like i'm sure original fans of the rapper would be happy for them but it doesn't always mean they're 'selling out', they ve just made the bigtime, broken the mainstream and they're making it, it may be ironic that the same rapper may now start referencing 'haters' of their current success, fame, which may have been their original fans

i guess wiz khalifas the main current example of this, admittedly i haven't been listening to him for years but i've heard his name being thrown around for years, have some friends that have been listening for a while though - some people think he's sold out with 'black and yellow' and especially 'roll up' now... Meh, his music has found a common ground with the mainstream

the guy has made it, his style and content may have changed a little but i don't think it's bad, from all the past songs i've listened to that he's done and anyway = he's not just rapping about weed all the time now (although he still does), not necessarily a bad thing
    ok.

eminem (recently)
    :noway::upyours:

ReputationRep:

BEPs' fall from grace and making actually good music has been crazy... *sigh* they were good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    ok.

:noway::upyours:
    It's debatable, I was a bit iffy about putting Eminem on there, it's hard to define 'selling out' if you're already a hugely famous mega star, how can he sell out if he's already mainstream and known worldwide - well if you count selling out as an artist changing their original style/content they had before they got famous just to appeal to a large audience then you could argue that

At the same time, Eminem's grown up and matured so ofc he won't be the same as he was 10, 11 years ago, so his music/style has changed as he himself has - Well personally I miss his more lighthearted humorous tone, all I'm sayin

you could argue it either way

ReputationRep:
    BEPs' fall from grace and making actually good music has been crazy... *sigh* they were good
    Did you pos rep me, sir?

ReputationRep:
    Did you pos rep me, sir?
    Yessir, good point - I've kinda gone off eminem recently, just not interested in recovery for some reason... meh

ReputationRep:
    Tinie Tempah - Hood Economics...Ahh I remember those days.

I'm a fan of Wiz, listened to him now and again back in the day too but his album 'Rolling Papers' was alright, it wasn't amazing..a few collabs with other artists other than Curren$y and Chevy would of been good) but it was good and i'm seeing him live in May.

Wiz Khalifa + Chevy Woods = Awesome combo!

ReputationRep:
    Yessir, good point - I've kinda gone off eminem recently, just not interested in recovery for some reason... meh
    Rep returned!

ReputationRep:
    I hate all the new rap stuff. I miss 2pac and Biggie

ReputationRep:
    I think when someone is labelled as a sellout they usually are. It doesn't necessarily mean that they've become **** or stop making good songs. They're just making different songs geared towards making money. Which is a little annoying when less of the good songs come out. And from the artists you listed there I think they've all definitely sold out bar Eminem. I don't see how he's sold out :confused: He just seems like same old, same old. Pure angst.

Whereas Lupe Fiasco sold out/was forced to sell out like a little *****. I don't care if his label forced him, his new album is a piece of badly produced **** with about a million incredibly **** singers on every song and that's down to him not just his label. They didn't point a gun at his back. They didn't even want to release it, he's the one who pushed to release that pile of crap. So I can definitely understand why he's labelled as a sellout despite his constant protests that he was forced to make **** music. Why can't everyone be like Outkast...

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.