Turn on thread page Beta

Who is reponsible if university places are cut? watch

ReputationRep:
    The government have suggested that university places may be cut if the majority of universities fees are £9000 or close to that. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13004196

Who should be responsible if university places are cut?

Should it be the universities for charging more than the £6000 they were suppose to or the government for cutting teaching grant by 80% so universities have to charge more to make up the short fall?

ReputationRep:
    The government, obviously.
    They were the ones who raised the max fees to £9k.
    If they didn't want unis the charge £9k, then they should have had the max as something else.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The government for cutting the budget. They didn't raise fees to 9000 they allowed universities to charge that should they wish and then they necessitated it for many places by cutting the budget. This debate is done to death though.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    If they didn't want unis the charge £9k, then they should have had the max as something else.
    The Browne Review recommended no maximum. That doesn't mean he wanted fees to be Infinity Pounds a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The Browne Review recommended no maximum. That doesn't mean he wanted fees to be Infinity Pounds a year.
    But it was bloody obvious that a cap of £9k will mean a large number of unis wanting and trying to charge that. If the government couldn't see that then god help us over the next 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    Who is responsible?

The ones that devalued a University degree with a misguided policy of getting 50% of young people to university.

The ones that made public sector spending unsustainable.

Your friends at the Labour Party are responsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    Who is responsible?

The ones that devalued a University degree with a misguided policy of getting 50% of young people to university.

The ones that made public sector spending unsustainable.

Your friends at the Labour Party are responsible.
    You can use the same argument against the Tories though.
    The ones who expanded the number of universities in the UK by turning the old polytechnics into unis, meaning university was no longer just for the academic.

At the end of the day both parties are as bad as each other in that regard.

(Original post by Maker)
    The government have suggested that university places may be cut if the majority of universities fees are £9000 or close to that. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13004196

Should it be the universities for charging more than the £6000 they were suppose to or the government for cutting teaching grant by 80% so universities have to charge more to make up the short fall?
    Labour are to blame.

ReputationRep:
    Labour are to blame by making university the only choice to getting a good well paying job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGC773)
    Labour are to blame by making university the only choice to getting a good well paying job.
    Because of course, the employers who have decided that they just want graduates are blameless :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Labour are to blame.
    Seems overly simplistic.

You can hardly blame one or the other. The Tories did it Labour pushed the system to the point where it had to be raised.

ReputationRep:
    You can use the same argument against the Tories though.
    The ones who expanded the number of universities in the UK by turning the old polytechnics into unis.
    arggh - that was expanding the size of both the pre and post 92 unis

granting uni charters to polytechnics didn't itself alter the overall number of places on degree courses.

granting the 92 uni charters coincided with the beginning of the expansion but it's a separate issue.

ReputationRep:
    The government are not responsible. They are doing what needs to be done. The responsibility solely rests on us. Ultimately, everything that happens now and has happened in the past is of our own doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    granting the 92 uni charters coincided with the beginning of the expansion but it's a separate issue.
    Exactly. It was the beginning of it.

As I said, neither party are blameless in this.
    And neither are the employers who decide to only interview graduates no matter if the actual job needs it.
    Neither is this government for being very naive.
    And neither are the universities themselves.
    They are all to blame.

(Original post by Martyn*)
    The government are not responsible. They are doing what needs to be done. The responsibility solely rests on us. Ultimately, everything that happens and has happened is of our own doing.
    How are they not responsible?

Everyone knew that increasing the max fee to £9k a year would mean that universities would at least try to charge that.
    It was bloody obvious.

The government are now complaining about places trying to charge £9k, when it was the government who have given them to ability to do so. If the government didn't want fees of £9k a year, then they should have capped it at £7.5k or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)

Universities themselves have to be blamed.

My university can't even justify £3000 at the moment, I shudder to think how it will cope with a bathtub of money that will be available once tuition fees go up to £9000.

They are making all these cuts yet it's justification for charging £9000 is ridiculous. I think the new proposals are fair however, it is sad to see administrators at universities trying to make a mess.

I honestly, think universities need to be part-privatised in order to reintroduce quality and value for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Universities themselves have to be blamed.

My university can't even justify £3000 at the moment, I shudder to think how it will cope with a bathtub of money that will be available once tuition fees go up to £9000.

They are making all these cuts yet it's justification for charging £9000 is ridiculous. I think the new proposals are fair however, it is sad to see administrators at universities trying to make a mess.

I honestly, think universities need to be part-privatised in order to reintroduce quality and value for money.
    The problem is that they don't really have a choice.
    Most universities have seen their government funding hugely cut. So they have to make up the funding somewhere. Fees.

As for privitising them, if anything that would just lead to an increase in tuition fees without much increase in quality.

ReputationRep:
    How are they not responsible?

Everyone knew that increasing the max fee to £9k a year would mean that universities would at least try to charge that.
    It was bloody obvious.

The government are now complaining about places trying to charge £9k, when it was the government who have given them to ability to do so. If the government didn't want fees of £9k a year, then they should have capped it at £7.5k or whatever.
    Our insistance on demanding that every child get and have a free education is part of the problem. The politicians know this too, although they might not publicly declare it. They are not responsible for these high tuition fees because it is right that education be expensive, preserved for those who can afford it. The government are right to do this.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that they don't really have a choice.
    Most universities have seen their government funding hugely cut. So they have to make up the funding somewhere. Fees.

As for privitising them, if anything that would just lead to an increase in tuition fees without much increase in quality.
    I don't sympathise with my university one bit.
    They will see a bucket loads of money. Instead of using that money to get more books, computers or other improvements such as more front-line services, more lecturers, tutors etc...; it would use the money to build more layers of administrators and increase wages of the top dogs .
    I do not believe my university need to make cuts to front line university services, but rather cuts to the layers of administration and wages.
    A few week ago, my lecturers decided to go on strike- do I have feel sorry for them? No. In fact, I was disappointed at their protest. Until I get quality teaching, and quality education, then I will support their so called plight. I pay over £3000 for them to provide the quality education (which they fail to deliver) and not for them to strike.
    Yes, the new reform from this coalition are an improvement. It is sad to see universities trying to play with student education to make meaningless points.
    I do believe if we did part-privatised our universities, we may see an reintroduction of quality and improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Our insistance on demanding that every child get and have a free education is part of the problem. The politicians know this too, although they might not publicly declare it. They are not responsible for these high tuition fees because it is right that education be expensive, preserved for those who can afford it. The government are right to do this.
    What?
    I don't see what "free education" has got to do with anything here.
    This is about tuition fees and the government possibly cutting student numbers if enough universities charge £9k a year.
    Nothing to do with free education, and everything to do with poor government policy (if the government had put the cap at say £7.5k a year, then we wouldn't be in a situation where they are scrambling to get unis to charge around that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    I don't sympathise with my university one bit.
    They will see a bucket loads of money. Instead of using that money to get more books, computers or other improvements such as more front-line services, more lecturers, tutors etc...; it would use the money to build more layers of administrators and increase wages of the top dogs .
    I do not believe my university need to make cuts to front line university services, but rather cuts to the layers of administration and wages.
    A few week ago, my lecturers decided to go on strike- do I have feel sorry for them? No. In fact, I was disappointed at their protest. Until I get quality teaching, and quality education, then I will support their so called plight. I pay over £3000 for them to provide the quality education (which they fail to deliver) and not for them to strike.
    Yes, the new reform from this coalition are an improvement. It is sad to see universities trying to play with student education to make meaningless points.
    I do believe if we did part-privatised our universities, we may see an reintroduction of quality and improvement.
    Out of interest what uni do you go to?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.