Turn on thread page Beta

Who is reponsible if university places are cut? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    I don't sympathise with my university one bit.
    They will see a bucket loads of money. Instead of using that money to get more books, computers or other improvements such as more front-line services, more lecturers, tutors etc...; it would use the money to build more layers of administrators and increase wages of the top dogs .
    I do not believe my university need to make cuts to front line university services, but rather cuts to the layers of administration and wages.
    A few week ago, my lecturers decided to go on strike- do I have feel sorry for them? No. In fact, I was disappointed at their protest. Until I get quality teaching, and quality education, then I will support their so called plight. I pay over £3000 for them to provide the quality education (which they fail to deliver) and not for them to strike.
    Yes, the new reform from this coalition are an improvement. It is sad to see universities trying to play with student education to make meaningless points.
    I do believe if we did part-privatised our universities, we may see an reintroduction of quality and improvement.
    But imagine the even greater cuts that would be made if they didn't increase fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    But imagine the even greater cuts that would be made if they didn't increase fees.
    I am getting confused. Please expand.

I do believe they have increased fees, my university which charges £9000 would definitely need to justify that charge. With the announcements of cuts within my university, there is no need for them to charge £9000 as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Can't understand how vince cable is surprised that so many went for 9000...

I wonder if it's a bit of political theatre so the government can posture about greedy universities before getting on with an unspoken objective of cutting degree places.

But yeah VC's salaries have also gone through the roof over the last few years and the amount of Bureaucracy at unis is like a throwback to the old nationalised indusries.

ReputationRep:
    I am getting confused. Please expand.

I do believe they have increased fees, my university which charges £9000 would definitely need to justify that charge. With the announcements of cuts within my university, there is no need for them to charge £9000 as a result.
    The reason universities are having to make cuts is the same reason why tuition fees are increasing. Because of government funding cuts.

For many subjects, even charging £9k is not enough to make up for the government cuts (sciences cost a lot more than that, and there will now be zero government funding for the arts).

Thus, if your university did not increase tuition fees, they would have to find the extra money somewhere. And that would be by cutting even more.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe instead of giving 650m to Pakistan for their education system, the government should have spent the money in this country, reducing uni fees.

ReputationRep:
    Labour

ReputationRep:
    If I recall government still has to approve fees over 6K, because in order to go over that you need to then offer more support to the less well off. Something tells me this may very well be where the government can force control on the situation. They may very well be able to veto the 9K some institutions are saying they plan to charge and force them to charge something else.

If I recall, all the fees we have seen being thrown around are the fees they want to charge not the fees they are so far going to be allowed to charge unless they have permission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    If I recall government still has to approve fees over 6K, because in order to go over that you need to then offer more support to the less well off. Something tells me this may very well be where the government can force control on the situation. They may very well be able to veto the 9K some institutions are saying they plan to charge and force them to charge something else.

If I recall, all the fees we have seen being thrown around are the fees they want to charge not the fees they are so far going to be allowed to charge unless they have permission.
    It all looks like a political performance where the govt rides to rescue students by blaming greedy universities by first saying they can charge up to £9000 then saying they can't.

I bet money that when the GP consortia starts to run out of money and patients can't get treatment,the govt will blame incompetent GPs and find some money for their treatment.

Its a trick they are already doing with council cuts.

ReputationRep:
    It became inevitable once they cut the teaching budget by 80% for some subjects-I gather that unis need to raise fees to £7,000 just to cover the cut and students, rightly, will want better quality performance for their money. That forces unis to try move towards £9000...

ReputationRep:
    It's Blair's fault. He managed to convince this country that everyone could and should go to university, and here we are, suffering the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    The reason universities are having to make cuts is the same reason why tuition fees are increasing. Because of government funding cuts.

For many subjects, even charging £9k is not enough to make up for the government cuts (sciences cost a lot more than that, and there will now be zero government funding for the arts).

Thus, if your university did not increase tuition fees, they would have to find the extra money somewhere. And that would be by cutting even more.
    maybe if they axe funding from Fashion studies, Media Studies and Beckham studies, the universities might have wee bit more money for the sciences.

Like I say, part-privatisation...

ReputationRep:
    maybe if they axe funding from Fashion studies, Media Studies and Beckham studies, the universities might have wee bit more money for the sciences.

Like I say, part-privatisation...
    Or perhaps not?
    Since those subjects don't need that much money to teach, and so they are probably actually making money on them.

Also, the David Beckham thing was not a course. It wasn't even a module. It was just part of a module about media and sport (I think).

ReputationRep:
    If they made university free and made double the amount of places it wouldn't be long before everyone cried that a bunch of mongoloid were on their course, things were spread too thin, they had no employment prospects because a degree was now essentially a decorated A level.

When you know how the world works student, I'll listen to your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    The government are not responsible. They are doing what needs to be done. The responsibility solely rests on us. Ultimately, everything that happens now and has happened in the past is of our own doing.
    Hmm, the government, year upon year borrows significantly more than they take in per year. They borrow heavily from banks to for the EU and bail out countries, and were the ones left to pay. It annoys me, i may not sound so sane, but i could kill vince cable if given the chance. Heck, call me guy fawkes.

ReputationRep:
    Labour for getting us into this situation.
    Tories for pulling the rug from under the universities' feet and then lumping it all on the students so that they're paying more for less.
    The voting populus for going along with the comforting ideologies at election time. Afterall, politicians do all these things because it wins votes. Some would say that's one of the main problems with democracy...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.