Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whilst you need to be an all rounder what is the most important part of your application for the medical schools with the most middle of the road entrance requirements (you know what I mean, like average GCSE, A-level, UKCAT as minimum requirements) be it Grades, Ps, or Work Experience?

ReputationRep:
    to not want to be harold shipman?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    For schools that put emphasis on the UKCAT: your UKCAT result
    For schools that put emphasis on your GCSE: your GCSE's
    For schools that put emphasis on your extracurriculars: your extracurriculars
    For schools that want a well-rounded application: all of the above

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this - it depends very much on the medical school. Being average is all areas (i.e. trying to please all schools) is more likely to get you rejected than being stellar in a single area and then playing to your strengths.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is why its a good idea to think about where you are applying - it changes dependent on med school.

ReputationRep:
    A Level chemistry helps for most places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    to not want to be harold shipman?
    omg he was working like round the corner from where i used to live...scary man:eek:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Turning up for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    its obviously UKCAT or bmat
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by aeneas745)
    its obviously UKCAT or bmat
    Yup, I'm sure that those will definitely help with applying to Bristol, Birmingham & Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yup, I'm sure that those will definitely help with applying to Bristol, Birmingham & Liverpool.
    Sarcasm part of personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slew)
    Whilst you need to be an all rounder what is the most important part of your application for the medical schools with the most middle of the road entrance requirements (you know what I mean, like average GCSE, A-level, UKCAT as minimum requirements) be it Grades, Ps, or Work Experience?
    GCSE: need 2 have 7/8 A/A* for top unis
    A levels: prediction from A*AA/AAA To AAB (chemistry is essential and now biology is becoming essential too, make sure u have 1 non science subject...its good 2 show u can do other things instead of science... i did history for AS and dropped it in A2)
    UKCAT: 650 + average (some unis take your LOWEST score instead of your average.. so get around 650 in each section)

PS: everything you say MUST relate to why you want to study medicine. talk about extra reading material (New scientists etc).

WE: you need around a 2 week w/e within a hospital etc... care homes are easy to get experience in! find some contacts n c if u can shadow a doc... do as many as u can during the summer... talk 2 ur science teachers n c if they knw any1 who can help u get experience.

EXTRA: get into summer schools or taster courses in relation to med... Kings have lectures for high school and college students, so do UCL etc check it out... research and enrol. this will go on ur ucas application AND in your PS.

GOOD LUCK! if anything else... just ask

ReputationRep:
    Why are you asking this question? What can you hope to gain from these answers? You've already told us that you think it's about being an all rounder so crack on.

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important part is A levels. If you don't have decent AS Levels and are predicted 3A grades, then you'll find that you get 4 rejections VERY quickly.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    I think the most important part is A levels. If you don't have decent AS Levels and are predicted 3A grades, then you'll find that you get 4 rejections VERY quickly.

Unless you have extenuating circumstances of course.
    If you don't have any of the other requirements you'll get four rejections very quickly.

And it's a lot harder to cry and claim extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    If you don't have any of the other requirements you'll get four rejections very quickly.

And it's a lot harder to cry and claim extenuating circumstances.
    Yes, but A levels is the most fundamental requirement. You can see someone getting into medicine with Bs and Cs at GCSE, but if they're predicted BCC, then it's just not happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    Yes, but A levels is the most fundamental requirement. You can see someone getting into medicine with Bs and Cs at GCSE, but if they're predicted BCC, then it's just not happening.
    If they don't have work ex or a decent PS or a decent reference it's just not happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    If they don't have work ex or a decent PS or a decent reference it's just not happening.
    Though some medical schools do just look at grades and not the personal statement at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverlew)
    Though some medical schools do just look at grades and not the personal statement at all.
    Which.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Which.
    Peninsula for one.
    I have a friend who applied with an economics personal statement and holds an offer from Peninsula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleverlew)
    Peninsula for one.
    I have a friend who applied with an economics personal statement and holds an offer from Peninsula
    Bull****.

Anyway, believe whatever the **** you want, if you think your A-levels are all you need to worry about, crack on.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.