Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just thinking this the other day.

Should there be an A level in medicine? What do you think?

I do not think there should be. I think chemistry and biology are enough to get to grips with basic medical principles, without there being an A level for it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If medicine had an A-Level equivalent, it'd be vocational. No university would accept it. :mmm:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Would't it just be watered down and useless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    If medicine had an A-Level equivalent, it'd be vocational. No university would accept it. :mmm:
    Some accept BTEC medical science, which is vocational.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Teravolt)
    Some accept BTEC medical science, which is vocational.
    Replace "university" with "medical school", my bad.

ReputationRep:
    It's called combined science.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who negs me loves Rebecca Black.

ReputationRep:
    'Blowjobs' should be an A-level.

The practical side of it :coma:

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, why doesn't England just have one exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)
    If teachers don't like the content or style of one board they can teach another.

ReputationRep:
    this is a joke right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resortini)
    this is a joke right?
    This is not a joke, right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)
    I know!! I know they say they're the 'same standard' but they arent!!!
    In my school we didnt board X, and the 'stupid people' got to do board Y as it was 'easier'. They should have one board with more choice within it!

ReputationRep:
    I think there should be an additional course that is about as intense as a GCSE that is to be taken alongside A levels so people can be sure they want to do it....and obviously show that they have aptitude for medicine etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why some people think it would be a good idea, as I can imagine that there are many parts of a medicine degree not covered by A-level biology or chemistry. But there would be loads of logistical problems with setting it up. Who would decide what's on the syllabus? What if someone took it and then decided against medicine? If it was a slightly 'vocational' A-level, would universities accept it for other academic subjects?

And of course, private/grammar schools with plenty of medicine applicants would offer it, while comprehensive schools or schools with less medicine applicants would most likely not offer it - meaning that those pupils would be at a further disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be the medicine equivalent of the Law A level. Nobody will care about it.

ReputationRep:
    it would be very elpful for all you young skins out there.

but no. its the study of the application of drugs, and that knowledge is no use to a kiddie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    it would be very elpful for all you young skins out there.

but no. its the study of the application of drugs, and that knowledge is no use to a kiddie.
    Medicine is a bit more than the application of drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Medicine is a bit more than the application of drugs.
    yeah i aint gonna quote the syllabus on a forum, dudey. but feel free if you want to write a tome.

ReputationRep:
    furthermore, medicine in the application of drugs needs to be taught properly.

Learning hash jobs from unqualified teachers who want you to maximise your marks, not your ability, isnt going to serve you well in the future. Learning things wrong is something there aint room for in medicine, that can mean death of a patient.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.