The Student Room Group

Should there be Medicine A level?

Just thinking this the other day.

Should there be an A level in medicine? What do you think?

I do not think there should be. I think chemistry and biology are enough to get to grips with basic medical principles, without there being an A level for it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If medicine had an A-Level equivalent, it'd be vocational. No university would accept it. :mmm:
Reply 2
Would't it just be watered down and useless?
Reply 3
Original post by Beska
If medicine had an A-Level equivalent, it'd be vocational. No university would accept it. :mmm:

Some accept BTEC medical science, which is vocational.
Reply 4
Original post by Teravolt
Some accept BTEC medical science, which is vocational.

Replace "university" with "medical school", my bad.
Reply 5
It's called combined science.
Everyone who negs me loves Rebecca Black.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
'Blowjobs' should be an A-level.

The practical side of it :coma:
On a side note, why doesn't England just have one exam board?
Reply 9
Original post by Harbour Seal

If teachers don't like the content or style of one board they can teach another.
this is a joke right?
Reply 11
Original post by resortini
this is a joke right?

This is not a joke, right.
Reply 12
Original post by Harbour Seal

I know!! I know they say they're the 'same standard' but they arent!!!
In my school we didnt board X, and the 'stupid people' got to do board Y as it was 'easier'. They should have one board with more choice within it!
I think there should be an additional course that is about as intense as a GCSE that is to be taken alongside A levels so people can be sure they want to do it....and obviously show that they have aptitude for medicine etc. etc.
Reply 14
I can see why some people think it would be a good idea, as I can imagine that there are many parts of a medicine degree not covered by A-level biology or chemistry. But there would be loads of logistical problems with setting it up. Who would decide what's on the syllabus? What if someone took it and then decided against medicine? If it was a slightly 'vocational' A-level, would universities accept it for other academic subjects?

And of course, private/grammar schools with plenty of medicine applicants would offer it, while comprehensive schools or schools with less medicine applicants would most likely not offer it - meaning that those pupils would be at a further disadvantage.
Reply 15
It'll be the medicine equivalent of the Law A level. Nobody will care about it.
Reply 16
it would be very elpful for all you young skins out there.

but no. its the study of the application of drugs, and that knowledge is no use to a kiddie.
Reply 17
Original post by Gizmo!
it would be very elpful for all you young skins out there.

but no. its the study of the application of drugs, and that knowledge is no use to a kiddie.

Medicine is a bit more than the application of drugs.
Reply 18
Original post by navarre
Medicine is a bit more than the application of drugs.

yeah i aint gonna quote the syllabus on a forum, dudey. but feel free if you want to write a tome.
Reply 19
furthermore, medicine in the application of drugs needs to be taught properly.

Learning hash jobs from unqualified teachers who want you to maximise your marks, not your ability, isnt going to serve you well in the future. Learning things wrong is something there aint room for in medicine, that can mean death of a patient.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending