The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Dunno about specifics...although I'm sure someone out there does.

From my experience, however, attempting such things is very risky, especially if you've got an OS installed on all of the partition you're trying to downsize.

Make sure you backup everything first..
Reply 2
llama boy
Dunno about specifics...although I'm sure someone out there does.

From my experience, however, attempting such things is very risky, especially if you've got an OS installed on all of the partition you're trying to downsize.

Make sure you backup everything first..

Cheers for input. Although the partition I'd be looking at shrinking doesn't have an OS on it.

More details for people who might be able to help:

Its an 80Gb hard-drive. 20Gb C:\ containing XP. 60Gb D:\ with everything else. 40Gb on D is free. File system on both partitions is NTFS.

I want to shrink D so I can create a Linux partition and begin my escape from Bill Gates.
Reply 3
Tednol
Cheers for input. Although the partition I'd be looking at shrinking doesn't have an OS on it.

More details for people who might be able to help:

Its an 80Gb hard-drive. 20Gb C:\ containing XP. 60Gb D:\ with everything else. 40Gb on D is free. File system on both partitions is NTFS.

I want to shrink D so I can create a Linux partition and begin my escape from Bill Gates.

thats "sir" Bill to you laddie
Reply 4
I'm not sure you can do it with freeware, and I don't have any cracks for some software. www.trinsic.org could be of some service to you. I'll put it to a friend of mine if you like, but the answer wouldn't exactly be quick in coming because he is out of town at the moment, and there is no way I'm attempting to communicate this via text messages on a mobile. I'll get back to you though, hopefully before you give up on it, or even after you find out another viable way :smile:
Reply 5
I have a similar problem in which my 15gb hard drive needs upgrading however I want to copy my exisiting data over exactly how it currently is including the operating system.
Reply 6
I used partition magic to do the job for me. fortunately i borrowed it off a friend so i didn't have to pay.
elpaw
I used partition magic to do the job for me. fortunately i borrowed it off a friend so i didn't have to pay.

Partition Magic is the best for this stuff. It's Microsoft approved, too.

There are some dodgy freeware programs about but PM is easier to use than any of them I think.
Reply 8
thefish_uk

There are some dodgy freeware programs about but PM is easier to use than any of them I think.

Exactly what I wanted to say... I mean dont follow this advice but you know ahem ahem there are some things called filesharing tools ahem ahem well I havent said a word
Reply 9
ben2111
Exactly what I wanted to say... I mean dont follow this advice but you know ahem ahem there are some things called filesharing tools ahem ahem well I havent said a word

And other things called university firewalls blocking all necessary ports.
Reply 10
thefish_uk

And if any one cares to burn me off a copy I'd be most grateful.
Reply 11
amazingtrade
I have a similar problem in which my 15gb hard drive needs upgrading however I want to copy my exisiting data over exactly how it currently is including the operating system.

Any of the commerical partitioning software should be able to do that for you.

I don't know your particular needs, but maybe you could just put the harddrive in as a slave to a new harddrive? Unless you are short of IDE channels.
Reply 12
Emergency over. One of the benefits of having a person doing CompSci in my flat, is he has every useful piece of software under the sun.

Many thanks for all bits of advice.

Ed
Tednol
Emergency over. One of the benefits of having a person doing CompSci in my flat, is he has every useful piece of software under the sun.

Many thanks for all bits of advice.

Ed

Wooo,

Hardly an emergency though, eh.

Did you use Partition Magic in the end like we said?
Reply 14
Tednol
Hey!
I've got a little problem that hopefully someone can help me with. I have 2 partitions on my hard-drive and I'd like to resize one of them to leave space for me to create a third partition. And I'd like to do this without the loss of any data, using freeware. I know there is commerical software out there but I'd rather not pay £30 for something I intend on using once.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Hi there,

Are you talking NTFS or FAT partitions?

If you're talking NTFS, which is the most likely as I assume you're on XP, unfortunately Linux cannot yet touch (as in write to) NTFS partitions non-destructively (hence why the Linux NTFS driver can currently only read from NTFS partitions). However, there are some slightly not well-known ways to resize NTFS partitions from within Linux (or from a small Linux kernel booted off a CD etc.; see http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html). If you're going to be using Mandrake Linux, I believe the latest version of their DiskDrake tool, which you can run at setup, will allow non-destructive resizing of NTFS partitions (I don't know how much I'd trust it though). By the far the best option is to find a Windows-based solution for resizing your NTFS partition. In my experience, Partition Magic 8 is the only one you can really trust (and even then, ensure you have a complete backup and that it wouldn't be the end of the world if you had to re-format).

If you're talking FAT, then the situation is much easier. I believe that Linux can easily non-destructively resize FAT partitions without much effort. Do a few searches on http://groups.google.com for more information.

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful of Linux! Which distribution are you going to use? I recommend either Mandrake or Redhat for a complete beginner (I assume that's what you are...). By far the most fun is a 'Linux From Scratch' system, i.e. no distribution and everything is compiled from sources on another machine or pre-existing Linux install. This allows the most control but is also very complicated!

EDIT: Just noticed that you've fixed it. Oh well, I'll leave this for reference.

Regards,
DanMushMan
thats "sir" Bill to you laddie

Lord Bill, Ruler of the universe, i think the full title is.
Reply 16
rahaydenuk
Hi there,

Are you talking NTFS or FAT partitions?

If you're talking NTFS, which is the most likely as I assume you're on XP, unfortunately Linux cannot yet touch (as in write to) NTFS partitions non-destructively (hence why the Linux NTFS driver can currently only read from NTFS partitions). However, there are some slightly not well-known ways to resize NTFS partitions from within Linux (or from a small Linux kernel booted off a CD etc.; see http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html). If you're going to be using Mandrake Linux, I believe the latest version of their DiskDrake tool, which you can run at setup, will allow non-destructive resizing of NTFS partitions (I don't know how much I'd trust it though). By the far the best option is to find a Windows-based solution for resizing your NTFS partition. In my experience, Partition Magic 8 is the only one you can really trust (and even then, ensure you have a complete backup and that it wouldn't be the end of the world if you had to re-format).

If you're talking FAT, then the situation is much easier. I believe that Linux can easily non-destructively resize FAT partitions without much effort. Do a few searches on http://groups.google.com for more information.

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful of Linux! Which distribution are you going to use? I recommend either Mandrake or Redhat for a complete beginner (I assume that's what you are...). By far the most fun is a 'Linux From Scratch' system, i.e. no distribution and everything is compiled from sources on another machine or pre-existing Linux install. This allows the most control but is also very complicated!

EDIT: Just noticed that you've fixed it. Oh well, I'll leave this for reference.

Regards,

Cheers for your advice Rich. I went for SuSE, seems good to me not that I know a lot about Linux yet! Maybe I'll go for 'Linux from Scratch' next time... :smile:
Reply 17
thefish_uk
Wooo,

Hardly an emergency though, eh.

Did you use Partition Magic in the end like we said?

Yup went for Partition Magic. Wasn't without it's problems though and didn't do what I asked it to. I lost my D:\ drive and all data on it, the data being all the contents of my Program Files folder. Annoying, but it's fixed. I'm glad I made the emergeny disks though!

Got my windows partition, a partition for My Documents and My Music etc, and a Linux partition. All working wonderfully.

Ed
Reply 18
Tednol
Cheers for your advice Rich. I went for SuSE, seems good to me not that I know a lot about Linux yet! Maybe I'll go for 'Linux from Scratch' next time... :smile:

Yeah, I forgot to mention Suse. It's a good option for beginners too. No I wasn't suggesting you try Linux from Scratch for your first encounter with Linux, that would be jumping into the (very) deep end!

Latest

Trending

Trending