Turn on thread page Beta

travel sickness whilst driving watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What medicine/ways do you use if you feel travel sick whilst you yourself are driving a car?

ReputationRep:
    I have herd that these work quite well http://www.travelband.com/about-travelband.htm

ReputationRep:
    I used to feel queasy whilst being a passenger...

Not when driving though. I suppose part of it is anticipating the movements the car will make, since unexpected lurches whilst being a passenger tend to send people over the edge.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get travel sickness really bad, and there were these little tablets you could take to help stop you feeling sick.

And I find that when driving I don't feel sick, and I also don't feel that feeling in your groin when you go over a flyover. You know the one? The one where they say it's in your stomach, but it's blatently in your genitalia.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sim188)

Not when driving though. I suppose part of it is anticipating the movements the car will make, since unexpected lurches whilst being a passenger tend to send people over the edge.
    Yeah- i think this is probably the case for quite a few people. Those band things are supposed to work though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your helpful responses, everyone.

(Original post by moneyballs2)
    I used to get travel sickness really bad, and there were these little tablets you could take to help stop you feeling sick.

And I find that when driving I don't feel sick, and I also don't feel that feeling in your groin when you go over a flyover. You know the one? The one where they say it's in your stomach, but it's blatently in your genitalia.
    What is the name of the tablets/medication you had used? Also, was it a doctor's prescription based one or from the pharmacy?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    That's really unusual that you feel sick when driving, because you're concentrating so hard on the road & know what's coming up.

Maybe it's your car - if it's really old & wobbly it might affect you.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I use just boots over the counter travel medicine when I'm a passenger, I think it's called "travel calm" or "travel ease" or something!

However, when driving it doesn't effect me at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princestia)
    Thanks for all your helpful responses, everyone.

What is the name of the tablets/medication you had used? Also, was it a doctor's prescription based one or from the pharmacy?

Thanks again
    Joy-Rides.

Don't think you need a prescription. But you will need water. They taste vile.

ReputationRep:
    Joy-Rides.

Don't think you need a prescription. But you will need water. They taste vile.

Ok, thank you

ReputationRep:
    I used to suffer really badly with travel sickness, however I’m lucky enough not to now I drive. However I went to the dr’s and got these patches which you put behind your ear and they last up to 72 hours and worked really well- I have never been sick with them. No nasty taste and with them lasting so long was a bonus. However you would have to go to the dr’s for them.
    I’ll give you the name of them if the other off the counter stuff doesn’t work. Hope you can sort it out I know how horrible feeling travel sick is and it’s so nice not to feel it anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)

I thought I was just a weirdo I didn't know other people got that LOL

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I used travelbands around the wrists. They worked great!

Now I use Postafen. Works great as well!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meclozine

And also, getting enough sleep and eating proper food for long journeys is also really important.
    I usually just eat some slices of bread with nothing on, and a glass of water. Keeping it very simple. No sugar etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone for your kind and helpful responses.

(Original post by nikki_louise)
    I used to suffer really badly with travel sickness, however I’m lucky enough not to now I drive. However I went to the dr’s and got these patches which you put behind your ear and they last up to 72 hours and worked really well- I have never been sick with them. No nasty taste and with them lasting so long was a bonus. However you would have to go to the dr’s for them.
    I’ll give you the name of them if the other off the counter stuff doesn’t work. Hope you can sort it out I know how horrible feeling travel sick is and it’s so nice not to feel it anymore
    Thanks May I have the name of those patches please? Also, did it give you any side effects? (e.g. drowsiness or other effects)? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone for your kind and helpful responses.

Thanks May I have the name of those patches please? Also, did it give you any side effects? (e.g. drowsiness or other effects)? Thank you
    called Hyoscine TTS 1.5mg patch

you get two in a box. but i always made sure i got around 5-10 boxes so i would have enough patches to last ages and especially with how expensive perscriptions are you want to get your money's worth!

no i never felt drowsy with them, but maybe try one on first before thinking of driving with them just incase.

glad i could help- a lot of dr's dont even no about them- it was a nurse that suggested them to me back home before i went to uni because she suffered from travel sickness herself. when i needed some more from the dr at uni i had to take in the box so he could type in the name since he had never heard of them. but because they worked for me just ordered some new ones for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki_louise)
    called Hyoscine TTS 1.5mg patch

you get two in a box. but i always made sure i got around 5-10 boxes so i would have enough patches to last ages and especially with how expensive perscriptions are you want to get your money's worth!

no i never felt drowsy with them, but maybe try one on first before thinking of driving with them just incase.

glad i could help- a lot of dr's dont even no about them- it was a nurse that suggested them to me back home before i went to uni because she suffered from travel sickness herself. when i needed some more from the dr at uni i had to take in the box so he could type in the name since he had never heard of them. but because they worked for me just ordered some new ones for me.
    Thank you very much for your post. Really helpful. Did you ever use them whilst driving? x

ReputationRep:
    What medicine/ways do you use if you feel travel sick whilst you yourself are driving a car?
    You can't really, I dont think. They did it on Top Gear or mythbusters or something, but basically the sense of motion sickness comes from your brain not being able to anticipate changes in direction, and so you feel a sick. But if you're driving, you're instigating said changes, and therefore your brain knows that they're going to happen, so you don't feel sick.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your post. Really helpful. Did you ever use them whilst driving? x
    no i havent needed to. when ever i used to be a passenger in a car after 40 mins i would be sick. but i was fine in my hour and two hour driving lessons. then when i passed and drove back home it ended up being 4 hours and i forgot about a putting a patch on and never ended up feeling ill because i was concentrating on the road.

i have done four journeys now of a couple of hours and havent needed the patches at all. however when im on the train if i go into london i still have to put them on...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.