Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wucker)
    I don't think I could say anything more to demolish your credibility that you already have yourself...
    I dont care about ''online'' credibility LOL, you would be quiet on road so say nothing. like i care about what some online geeks think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muscovite)
    1)Muslims can be British as well
    2) Most of Shariah law is just like our law, it is only extremists who twist its wording to suit themselves.
    I am not White, I am not ethnically from England/Scotland/Ireland etc so therefore I am not British. A person whose born here but whose parents are from Indian, is India. The only time a Muslim can be British IMO is when they are actually English/Scottish or one of their parents is.

I will use the classic BNP line:

''If you were born in a stable, would that make you a horse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    Why am I being negged? for speaking truth
    because shariah is disgusting, homophobic, sexist, racist and just should not be used in modern times, these countries need to move on, this is the 21st century FFS

ReputationRep:
    I am not White, I am not ethnically from England/Scotland/Ireland etc so therefore I am not British. A person whose born here but whose parents are from Indian, is India. The only time a Muslim can be British IMO is when they are actually English/Scottish or one of their parents is.

how can you agree with something the BNP says, they most likely hate you.

and how can you agree with a comment which compares a country to a stable?

you are the kind of muslims who worry me? your borin in britian but you are pakistani or india?

i could say that you are technically not pakistani, indian etc because all humans come from Africa to begin with therefore we are all african

if this is your case then there would be no such thing as british whatsoever as we would all be german or scandanavian but then they all go back to african, your argument has so many flaws

All roads lead to africa

ReputationRep:
    I dont care about ''online'' credibility LOL, you would be quiet on road so say nothing. like i care about what some online geeks think
    Frankly, I am not surprised that you feel the need to resort to childish insults.

ReputationRep:
    To begin with, I'm a British Muslim.

I do agree with the Shariah law, obviously because I'm Muslim. However, people fail to mention that in the "polls" quoted in earlier posts, that these Muslims want the Shariah law in Britain for themselves ie. Muslims.

Every educated person is aware that extremists do not represent a whole population, and so can conclude, without the aid of books/literature/Wikipedia articles etc... that these people (who want a Muslim Britain?) are the minority and are condemned by their fellow Muslims.

We all have different opinions and different visions of the "perfect" law. I understand you might think that Shariah is a "harsh" way of discipling a criminal, but that is a totally biased view. Just as much as I think that the British system is too lenient.

Finally, please end this as it is clearly not going anywhere and is misleading so many people. We are neither scholars nor experts in this field and so cannot fully debate this controversial and never ending discussion.
    LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS, or you could study it FULLY and then come back and debate.

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in Saudi Arabia and a part of me wouldn't care if Shariah Law came to the UK, because Shariah Law only applies to Muslims, and as a non-Muslim it has no effect on me.

correct me if I'm wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Osman1993)
    To begin with, I'm a British Muslim.

I do agree with the Shariah law, obviously because I'm Muslim. However, people fail to mention that in the "polls" quoted in earlier posts, that these Muslims want the Shariah law in Britain for themselves ie. Muslims.

Every educated person is aware that extremists do not represent a whole population, and so can conclude, without the aid of books/literature/Wikipedia articles etc... that these people (who want a Muslim Britain?) are the minority and are condemned by their fellow Muslims.

We all have different opinions and different visions of the "perfect" law. I understand you might think that Shariah is a "harsh" way of discipling a criminal, but that is a totally biased view. Just as much as I think that the British system is too lenient.

Finally, please end this as it is clearly not going anywhere and is misleading so many people. We are neither scholars nor experts in this field and so cannot fully debate this controversial and never ending discussion.
    LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS, or you could study it FULLY and then come back and debate.
    Firstly, read the article. The poll specifically asked whether they wanted "sharia law introduced into parts of the country." There are no fully Muslim parts of the country, ergo they want sharia law introduced on non-Muslims.

Polls following the danish cartoon controversy found that 80% of British Muslims wanted to cartoonists to be prosecuted. In a free society, I find that to be extreme.

Opinions are, of course, by their nature, bias. One should back up their opinion, however, with facts. For example, fact - this forum would be blocked in Iran, a country with sharia law, because many of the posters commit "blasphemy." Fact, under sharia law, apostates are killed. Fact, under sharia law, petty criminals have their hands chopped off. Fact, under sharia law, adultery is punishable by death. And finally, FACT: In any modern, liberal society, these concepts are considered downright barbaric. There is a reason your family decided to leave a Muslim country and come to Britain.

I am 100% confident in my ability to defend my own beliefs which is why I, unlike so many of your Muslim comrades, don't demand that those who disagree with me be silenced.

ReputationRep:
    You really should put your money in your mouth. I shall re quote myself.
    [SIZE="3"] We are neither scholars nor experts in this field and so cannot fully debate this controversial and never ending discussion.
    LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS, or you could study it FULLY and then come back and debate.[/SIZE]

"Fact, under sharia law, apostates are killed. Fact, under sharia law, petty criminals have their hands chopped off."

Half of your claims are wrong, it is due to particular countries that modify the Shariah law according to their liking and inorder to preserve their power. For example, there is no passage in the Qur'an that says 'women are not to drive cars', however Saudi includes it in their law. Their are so many other examples as mentioned above. These are not part of the Shariah law, however countries add them out of nowhere. I really cannot believe I have to spoon feed you this. At least have a clue about what is coming out of your mouth.

PS. please don't judge my way of living, I can live anywhere I like. My parents are converts and hence are British. In fact, and I would be happy to live in a Muslim country.

Do not reply, as I do not enjoy speaking with someone who is so blind.

ReputationRep:
    You really should put your money in your mouth. I shall re quote myself.

"Fact, under sharia law, apostates are killed. Fact, under sharia law, petty criminals have their hands chopped off."

Half of your claims are wrong, it is due to particular countries that modify the Shariah law according to their liking and inorder to preserve their power. For example, there is no passage in the Qur'an that says 'women are not to drive cars', however Saudi includes it in their law. Their are so many other examples as mentioned above. These are not part of the Shariah law, however countries add them out of nowhere. I really cannot believe I have to spoon feed you this. At least have a clue about what is coming out of your mouth.

PS. please don't judge my way of living, I can live anywhere I like. My parents are converts and hence are British. In fact, and I would be happy to live in a Muslim country.

Do not reply, as I do not enjoy speaking with someone who is so blind.
    They interpret the Koran in their own way, just as you do. It is quite arrogant of you to put down their interpretation as merely a misunderstanding of the Koran, when they would say the same about you. Ultimately, it is simply literary interpretation - neither can say the other is wrong.

I'm sure you absolutely chafe at the idea of my being allowed to express opinions critical of your religion. Maybe one day Britain will finally adapt draconian speech laws so that your absurd, ignorant faith can be given its true respect. Unfortunately, for now, I can and will reply to your patronizing blather.

ReputationRep:
    (I'm not gonna bother responding to the OP anymore, his idiocy speaks for itself).

"Harsh" is somewhat of an understatement, and Shariah's definition of "criminal" can be appallingly loose at times. I know this point is the one that gets continually brought up, but is adultery something that should be treated as a criminal act worthy of the death penalty? I would hope that any civilised person/culture would say no.

ReputationRep:

Yeah I understand what you're saying but remember that ethnicity and race are so mixed up nowadays, that no one is truly British or German or Indian or whatever. I think that if someone was born in Britain and has lived in Britain then they are definitely in some way British

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality is a disease.
    I will use the classic BNP line
    Troll alert, tempered by the usual caveat for Poe's law.

Just to clarify one point, however:"White British", the ethnicity that people might tick on their census form, is not the same as "British", the national identity. The former is a rough idea of where your predecessors came from. The latter applies to people born and raised into, or who have otherwise adopted British culture (or any of its subcultures) and our (somewhat fuzzy) national identity as their own, no matter where their parents were born or the colour of their skin. However, as this individual claims they haven't, then perhaps they haven't (although if they own a British passport, they are still British in the eyes of the law).

ReputationRep:
    I can see some ignorant users of TSR are continually posting threads about Shariah law, how muslims want to implement it and how the Muslim birth rate is a danger to Britain.

Have you never noticed that the second generation Muslims (so those born in the UK to parents from abroad) are much more socially acclimatised to the UK culture? So therefore a large majority would not agree with Shariah Law and are less strict in following their religion.

the ONLY people who would be passionate in their support for Shariah law are those Muslims who are on temporary visas here and have been schooled in Islamic schools all over the world. OR this new wave of black muslim converts who come from criminal backgrounds.

PS: I am Muslim who agrees with Shariah law in our own countries, I don't give two damns about what law there is here, thats up to you British people to decide.
    **** sharia law if they want sharia law migrate to countries were they is sharia law

ReputationRep:
    PS: I am Muslim who agrees with Shariah law in our own countries,
    What are the positive sides to Shariah law existing in Islamic countries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    To my mind, to imply that there are no benefits to a more conservative society than ours is almost as foolish as preching religious fundamentalism

The path to progress seems to me to be to show people living under archaic regimes that progressive alternatives exist and to be as patient as possible (excepting grave human rights abuses) in the transition of other systems to what we in the West might describe as cultural 'modernity'

I am all for asserting our 'values'/'identity' within Britain and coming down hard on those who seek to destroy, dilute or deviate too much from said values but if we have learnt anything from our experience in Afghanistan/Iraq, it's that pushing values/systems through before ensuring that host societies/cultures are fully congruent is asking for trouble

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE][QUOTE][QUOTE][QUOTE]
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I appreciate your sarcasm. I'm assuming you have researched the issue quite extensively, well done.

The Shariah law orders Muslims to live in peace, in the same country, as the non Muslims, and to defend the non muslims if they are attacked, therefore it provides protection for them. Further reading: research the ottoman empire or when Muslims ruled Spain.

The Shariah law offers the non Muslim free food, water, clothes and other necessaties.

The Shariah law does not charge tens of fees, such as schooling, road tax, rent, uni fees etc. All necessaties must be a right for all (and free).

The Shariah law protects all the 'less fortunate' in society and allows exceptions to them by lowering prices of the important living necessaties eg. gas, oil, food, transport etc.

The Shariah law protects the environment.

The Shariah law erradicates poverty. One of the 5 pillars of Islam is to pay the charity tax of 2.5% of annual income which goes to the poor. basically, the poor are not exploited for money. Further reading: the conditions of Sudan before the shariah law was removed and other Islamic states. Furthermore all of societies ills are eradicated; such as drugs, alcohol, prostitution, gambling, pedophilia, etc which cause the temptation, addiction and the death of many.

A favourite theme for the Orientalists is to attack Islam's punishment system, but when we study in context the punishments, you will immediately see the justice of Islam, and in comparison to man made law it is far superior.

A U.S. Justice Department report released on November 30 2006 showed that a record 7 million people -- or one in every 32 American adults -- were behind bars, on probation or on parole at the end of last year. Of the total, 2.2 million were in prison or jail.

Is democracy really the way forward? We have seen hundreds ready to defend democracy but is it really worth defending? The statistics speak for themselves! If democracy was indeed a 'superior' way of life why so many problems? Furthermore, with 3,256 on death row (In the USA alone) democracy has show it does practice and implement the death penalty.

The Islamic Judicial system is far better to any system man has ever devised in history. The strictness concerning evidence has meant that only around 200 people ever had their hands cut in 1300 years of Islamic Rule and the incidences of theft were very low. The Islamic system allows a person aggrieved of a crime the right to forgive the accused or to demand compensation for certain crimes.

A person has the right to take the ruler to court and even remove him if he transgresses against the Shari’ah. There are four categories of punishment in Islam which protect the rights of Allah, of the Individual, of the Community and of the State. A persons fate is not left to the whims and prejudices of 12 fallible people but in the hands of a qualified judge. In addition Islamic punishments are executed without delay or hesitation and torture is prohibited and haraam for any Muslim to practice.http://www.salafimedia.com/izharudde...lamic-law.html
    Countries such as Saudia Arabia or Iran may represent and come across as 'Islamic' nations but they are far from Islam and the Shari'ah!

(Original post by Gofre)
    Nobody re-offends. That might be because they're either dead or missing body parts, but still =P

But seriously, there are no benefits. We've moved on from the barbaric times that these ideas may once have found some relevance.
    Sorry, but your ignorance (and arrogance) annoys me so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    To my mind, to imply that there are no benefits to a more conservative society than ours is almost as foolish as preching religious fundamentalism

The path to progress seems to me to be to show people living under archaic regimes that progressive alternatives exist and to be as patient as possible (excepting grave human rights abuses) in the transition of other systems to what we in the West might describe as cultural 'modernity'

I am all for asserting our 'values'/'identity' within Britain and coming down hard on those who seek to destroy, dilute or deviate too much from said values but if we have learnt anything from our experience in Afghanistan/Iraq, it's that pushing values/systems through before ensuring that host societies/cultures are fully congruent is asking for trouble
    I certainly don't think there is a huge amount of good that comes from it, but I was humouring him somewhat by asking him rather than coming out with a wholly negative and sarcastic comment.
    Also I was curious about what answer he might give

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    because shariah is disgusting, homophobic, sexist, racist and just should not be used in modern times, these countries need to move on, this is the 21st century FFS
    Racist? Hows Shariah racist? Islam is for all races?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesrune75)
    Racist? Hows Shariah racist? Islam is for all races?
    I see how you only include Islam in your argument? Shariah is not Islam, it is part of Islam, Christianity, Judaism are for all races too

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.