Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok not quite litterally but it feels like it....
    Basically I need some advice.

I applied for a job at a company to be honest I knew very little about. Yesterday they invited me to an interview for today. Last night I researched them and was horrified by what I found, basically they are somewhat unethical - lets just say the job revolves around selling loans... There are hundred of threads/articles on the web about them being terrible, and even some from employees saying how bad things are....I sucked it up and went for the interview regardless....

The office was crazy, its telesales but everyone is stuck in suits - the office block is more like a prison, each door is locked and you need a pass to get through etc. The bosses are horrible people - I overheard one of them :eek:

The interview went 'well' but only because the woman interviewing me was basically writing whatever sounded good, not actually what I said at all - I think they are that desperate for staff they'll employ anyone.

Right at the end she told me the hours they want me to work...its just mental...50hour week and thats before overtime which they expect you to do, which also isn't paid. Only sundays off. They pay is ridiculous for the hours - its yearly salaried but it is literally only paying the bare minimum wage...

I don't know what to do, come Monday morning they're going to phone me and I don't know what to say.

I know I *should* be greatful for any job going but the company is totally unethical and the hours are crippling. I feel put in a horrible situation as Ive just finished uni and its not the kind of work I want to be doing but at the same time I have nothing and I can't expect my partner to be paying my half of the bills etc whilst Im out of work,but at the same time he's not going to be happy with the hours as we'll never see each other....

I know I could think that its just temporary but I honestly feel that it won't be and Ill become trapped there - from what I heard they don't even allow you to take time off for doctors appointments etc, so how the hell would I even be able to go for other interviews....

I just don't know what to do...I need the money but I don't know if I can ruin my life doing a job Ill hate

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, you'll end up hollow.

Most people end up doing a job they hate for money. Just how desperate are you? If the answer is very then i'm sorry to say that you have to take it.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, if you don't want the job, don't take it.

I can guarantee you that there are better jobs out there - you just haven't found them yet.
    If you take this job, you won't have the time to search for them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I happen to be in the soul industry. :fatcontroller:
    My going rate is 50p per soul (I haven't done this since year 8, okay :cool: )
    Take it or leave it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Ok not quite litterally but it feels like it....
    Basically I need some advice.

I applied for a job at a company to be honest I knew very little about. Yesterday they invited me to an interview for today. Last night I researched them and was horrified by what I found, basically they are somewhat unethical - lets just say the job revolves around selling loans... There are hundred of threads/articles on the web about them being terrible, and even some from employees saying how bad things are....I sucked it up and went for the interview regardless....

The office was crazy, its telesales but everyone is stuck in suits - the office block is more like a prison, each door is locked and you need a pass to get through etc. The bosses are horrible people - I overheard one of them :eek:

The interview went 'well' but only because the woman interviewing me was basically writing whatever sounded good, not actually what I said at all - I think they are that desperate for staff they'll employ anyone.

Right at the end she told me the hours they want me to work...its just mental...50hour week and thats before overtime which they expect you to do, which also isn't paid. Only sundays off. They pay is ridiculous for the hours - its yearly salaried but it is literally only paying the bare minimum wage...

I don't know what to do, come Monday morning they're going to phone me and I don't know what to say.

I know I *should* be greatful for any job going but the company is totally unethical and the hours are crippling. I feel put in a horrible situation as Ive just finished uni and its not the kind of work I want to be doing but at the same time I have nothing and I can't expect my partner to be paying my half of the bills etc whilst Im out of work,but at the same time he's not going to be happy with the hours as we'll never see each other....

I know I could think that its just temporary but I honestly feel that it won't be and Ill become trapped there - from what I heard they don't even allow you to take time off for doctors appointments etc, so how the hell would I even be able to go for other interviews....

I just don't know what to do...I need the money but I don't know if I can ruin my life doing a job Ill hate
    This sounds like you will fall into the pit of a **** job you'll never get out of and regret it by the time you are in your 50s. Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally couldn't do a job like that, but at the end of the day it's your decision. I think all the things you've said suggest that you should turn it down, unless it's literally your only option - low pay, long hours, no job satisfaction - it really doesn't sound like a good situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I happen to be in the soul industry. :fatcontroller:
    My going rate is 50p per soul (I haven't done this since year 8, okay :cool: )
    Take it or leave it.
    I take it you meet a lot of investment bankers in your line of work then =P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by limetang)
    I take it you meet a lot of investment bankers in your line of work then =P
    I have heard that there are rich pickings in The City.
    Unfortunately investment bankers prefer to sell their soul to the devil rather than an upstanding businessman such as myself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it in my opinion, you'll be sad all through your time there and it looks like you won't have much time for a social life with the working hours. A job you don't like is supposed to provide enough money for you to have a good life outside of work, but this job doesn't give you enough to do this, or time to do this

ReputationRep:
    Obviously don't do it. You'll be trapped in a job you hate and won't get to spend any time with your partner. Leave it and find one you'll enjoy - or at least find somewhat bearable. Keep applying to jobs and you'll find one better than this at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd tell them to stick their job....get your MEGA search on, and find something better. They ARE out there (I just got one of them and if I can, then you sure as hell can)

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    What is your degree in?

ReputationRep:
    This worries me. You shouldn't feel pressure into doing a job which is unethical because you are desperate. I think you should refuse the job (although good luck explaining to the job centre why you turned down a job offer). It's situations like these which really make you think that the world is heading in a bad direction. By the way, isn't 50 hours a week illegal? and telling you to do unpaid overtime illegal? I would consider reporting this company as well. If they treat their staff like this, I wonder how they treat their customers/ clients. I'm not sure who the authorities would be but I really think you should report them. Sadly as the 'investment banking' fashion booms and people chase money more and more, situations like this are going to become more common. One day though the people behind this will be brought to justice and will be exposed and will pay for all of the damage they do to society. Moral Cleansing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.