The Student Room Group

should i go to Smith College or take a Gap Year?

So.

Out of the 3 colleges I applied to in the US, I got accepted to Smith (other 2 were Harvard, UChicago) on financial aid. I like Smith, even though I haven't been there. I read reviews on the internet, and people say it's a good college, and my interviewer really made a good impression of the college, and the campus looks lovely. Plus, a LOT of financial aid.

However, Smith isn't really well-known outside the US (at least, I don't think so). Also, I think if I prepared for the admissions process better (applied to more schools, didn't write my essays two hours before the deadline, didn't forget to send forms in etc.) I would've gotten into the likes of Harvard and UChicago. I'm thinking that maybe it's worth trying again next year, especially since I wanted a gap year initially.

On the other hand, AMERICAN GOVERNMENT MONEYZ.

What do you guys think?
Reply 1
Original post by goodnightvienna
So.

Out of the 3 colleges I applied to in the US, I got accepted to Smith (other 2 were Harvard, UChicago) on financial aid. I like Smith, even though I haven't been there. I read reviews on the internet, and people say it's a good college, and my interviewer really made a good impression of the college, and the campus looks lovely. Plus, a LOT of financial aid.

However, Smith isn't really well-known outside the US (at least, I don't think so). Also, I think if I prepared for the admissions process better (applied to more schools, didn't write my essays two hours before the deadline, didn't forget to send forms in etc.) I would've gotten into the likes of Harvard and UChicago. I'm thinking that maybe it's worth trying again next year, especially since I wanted a gap year initially.

On the other hand, AMERICAN GOVERNMENT MONEYZ.

What do you guys think?

My grandmother went to Smith, so by association I know quite a few people who've gone there. Its got a very loyal alumni network. I can't comment on campus/student life, but if an all girls college is of interest to you, than you'd like it. I wouldn't go there (obviously I can't, but assume I could) at full tuition, but you said you have financial aid--which makes it worth it. My recommendation would be this:
1. Accept the offer and go.
2. See if you like it. If you really like it, stick it out.
3. If you don't like it, transfer to a different US school (maybe even UChi, etc.). Transferring in the US is 100x easier than in the UK and is very common. Some schools take transfer class sizes of over 300 people. Another advantage is that your year at Smith would count towards your degree.
yeah i was thinking about that, but it's really hard to get fin. aid when you transfer
D:

but i like smith. so idk. imma go anyway))) and, lol, i couldn't go without the money either. thanks for the advice)) good luck at durham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending