Turn on thread page Beta

How much did your parents impact upon your decision for your career/degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no impact whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I am planning (hopefully) to study Economics and Geography. My Dad hasn't influences me, but I can tell he isn't pleased with the Geography aspect; trying to make me do maths instead

ReputationRep:
    My mum wants me to be a journalist, my dad just doesn't care as long as I don't pick science (he did Chemistry and I suppose didn't like it).

Afraid I'm going to have to disappoint them both

ReputationRep:
    my parents went and researched what economics was after I told them thats what I was applying for.. so not much influence.
    if it was up to my dad I would be doing an apprenticeship he wanted me to apply for with an accountant and my mum wanted me to do something nhs funded

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all really. I know my mum doesn't agree with the degree I'm hoping to start but it's not stopping me.

ReputationRep:
    not even slightly

ReputationRep:
    Well I am a human being so I make my own choices. My parents are supportive of everything I do, even if they are not 100% behind it they still act like they are.

ReputationRep:
    Not much at all. My dad's an IT consultant, my mum's a secretary, and I'm a clinical scientist. My parents never even spoke to me about potential careers as a kid other my mum doing the motherly "I want you to do whatever makes you happy" speech.

ReputationRep:
    hah, not at all. I don't think they really care all that much

ReputationRep:
    No impact whatsoever. My mum couldn't care less as long as I don't want money from her & my dad is fine with me doing anything as long as I have a degree on my wall in a few months time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    I've always loved music but didn't know about the course I'm on until my mum told me I should check it out...I owe her for that I guess.

I'd otherwise probably be doing Engineering :erm:
    What course do you do?

ReputationRep:
    No impact whatsoever, my dad was very supportive actually seeing as my degree choice has changed lots and he's more than thrilled that im going into Nursing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    What course do you do?
    BTEC (haters gonna hate) Music Technology...I like make music in recording studios etc.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are alright with my decision (to study history), though they think by studying math or a science I can teach anywhere abroad.
    oh well!

ReputationRep:
    They encouraged me to research all the available options so I could discover what I was most passionate about, but they didn't really have any influence or impact.

ReputationRep:
    non at all!

Im going to do history at Nottingham and my dad is fuming he has even said i will never get a Job and is trying to convince me to take a gap year and take law

ReputationRep:
    My family had been doctors for generations so from birth it was naturally assumed that I'd do Medicine. I didn't really mind the idea of doing Medicine, but it turned out that I was pretty good at Maths, so later on I started considering that as well.

For me it basically boiled down to a choice between Maths and Medicine; Medicine because I was "expected" to do it and because it was supposedly the "best" (read: highest paid) profession, or Maths because I was very good at it, and because there were actually plenty of professions within the financial world that were potentially "better" (read: higher paid) than Medicine.

We had to tell our school what we would be applying for. While I was on holiday, my Mum phoned me and said "I'm at your school right now in front of your teacher, I have to write down your university choice!". I was preoccupied at the time, and was quite indecisive about it anyway so I just said "I dunno, pick anything". My Mum ended up writing down "Maths", and now here I am, (almost) as a Maths graduate :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    I'm just curious about this.

Everyone's heard of the ridiculous "all Asian parents want their kids to be doctors" stereotype (which does have its roots in fact, from what I've seen, but it's certainly not true for everyone), and that most people consider things like medicine, architecture, law, engineering, et al to be the "top" professions, since they're generally the most well-paid.

Personally, my parents haven't impacted on my choice at all. I want to study medicine, but my mother's had literally no input on the matter, and my father wants me to study something like economics or finance at university.

So, the question is basically the title: did your parents impact upon your decision? If so, how did they do that, and do you wish that you'd have more freedom to choose?
    Too much -.- I'm only in year 11, but I have (obviously) had to choose my AS levels already and my mum kept /keeps on saying 'oh, archaeology, you don't want to take that!', 'Oh, politics, you'll find that boring'....erm, actually, no Mum. I know how I will find it and I think archaeology and politics are really interesting! She's always encouraged my languages more than other subjects too - just because she only did 2 A levels in French and German!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know exactly what qualifications my parents have, but they both left school at the minimum leaving age.

I'm the first person in my immediate family to go to university.

The only influence they had on me going to university was that my mother was happy to have me go to college and then university. If my father still lived at home I'd never have been allowed to resit.

ReputationRep:
    My mom didn't really mind what I did, as long as I went to a uni with a medical school. She's a nurse so I think that's why.

My dad on the other hand has never forgiven me for not doing law. I took an interest in it when I was 12 and did my year 10 work experience with a Barrister and everything. Then he buggered off with some woman from work and got done for fraud and sent to prison so all love and respect I had for my dad went.

When it came to my AS year, he said to me that he'd be able to sort me out a pupilage once I've graduated with a law degree. I went mental and told him I was doing something else. He went mental and told me that I was doing law and that was that. I didn't tell him what I'd applied for or where I was going until the week before I moved away. It was a bit cruel but nothing compared to what he's ut my family through!

I'd began to lose interest in it anyway and it's the best way to wind my dad up. I really can't stand him most of the time.

I'm more than happy doing IR. I wish I'dve done History as well since I want to be a teacher. Such is life!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.